What's your favorite intro music for a TV series?

Easily the greatest to me are Lost in Space Season 1 & 2, and season 3 theme(i alternate which I think is better). Goldsmiths The Walton's theme (season 2 version is the best rendition). The Rockford Files and Hawaii 5-0 (original series), are phenomenal as is The Wild Wild West. Star Trek is fantastic. 

Its a valid thread. More timely than my 4 year old thread though interesting that my answers are virtually  the same. 

Stefan referring to the Game of Thrones theme as an ear worm is apt. Its a damaging piece of.... calling it music is an insult so I wont.

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Goldsmiths The Walton's theme (season 2 version is the best rendition). 

Agreed.

Plus, I'll throw in:

Little House on the Prairie (David Rose)

Leave It To Beaver! (David Kahn)

Along with the obvious Mission Impossible and Star Trek.

TOS.

I'll give more detail than last time we had a thread like this: specifically, take the intro from season 2, but cut to the season 1 cello version for the theme itself, but with the ending magically extended like we hear starting in season 2 for DeForest Kelley's credit.

Or just go for the nearly 4-minute version heard on Star Tracks. I don't know the story behind that arrangement, and it probably doesn't count because it wasn't written for the show, but it's gold. Just perfection.

Today's intros have hardly any tunes so I mostly remember the old ones. I will list those that I know by heart, even after all these years:

- Star Trek

- The Avengers

- M*A*S*H

- Man From Atlantis

- The Six Million Dollar Man

- Dallas

- Dynasty

- The Love Boat

- Happy Days

- The Waltons

- The Incredible Hulk

- Taxi

- Battlestar Galactica

- Alias Smith And Jones

- Baretta

- Hill Street Blues

- Rich Man Poor Man

- Kung Fu

- Magnum, P.I.

- Bonanza

- Cheers

- Miami Vice

- Knight Rider

- The A-Team

- Star Trek: The Next Generation

- I, Claudius

- Are You being Served

- All Creatures Great And Small

- Space 1999

- The Adventures Of Black Beauty

- The Adams Family

- Monty Python's Flying Circus

- Flipper

- Mission Impossible

- Charlie's Angels

- The Persuaders

- The X-Files

- Twin Peaks

- Amazing Stories

The only modern one that I seem to quickly recall is Game Of Thrones. It's probably the most covered TV tune ever.

Star Trek: The Next Generation - I mean, c'mon, I wouldn't dare skip that intro, even when Netflix asks if I want to! It's such an invigorating theme that's majestic and screams 'adventure!' even though it mostly accompanies stories that are often conversation/soapbox dramas.

12 hours ago, xWxzek said:

The melody and opening fanfare are exactly that. 

The female wailing is right up there with a cat in heat in terms of annoyance. 

It's the only part that ruins Hymn to the Fallen.

The Orville's opening credits are suitably swashbuckling in a corny sort of way. I didn't like it at first actually, but then the usual fondness for familiarity kicked in.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anybody knows if it exists on CD?

I think it was officially released on a compilation CD that collected Superman music.

I can’t remember the name but a quick google should solve the problem. :)

5 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I think it was officially released on a compilation CD that collected Superman music.

I can’t remember the name but a quick google should solve the problem. :)

Oh my god, I just posted the official soundtrack in a photo!

My friend made a sung parody of the Clone Wars and Rebels main titles, so those are often stuck in my head. 

Also, I found, rather, randomly, a Dennis McCarthy Star Trek: Deep Space Nine CD in a bargain bin a while ago. I still haven't listened to it. Anyone know if it's any good?

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's very soothing, like a mental massage.

True, but it's also the most moody TV theme ever, with plenty of 'deep' connotations about the show's themes and characters. In fact, that theme and intro inspired me to write a whole novel as a youngster (well, the whole show, really, but particularly the intro).

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

True, but it's also the most moody TV theme ever, with plenty of 'deep' connotations about the show's themes and characters. In fact, that theme and intro inspired me to write a whole novel as a youngster (well, the whole show, really, but particularly the intro).

I'd love to read an analysis of the theme on Celluloidtunes!

8 hours ago, Arpy said:

Star Trek: The Next Generation - I mean, c'mon, I wouldn't dare skip that intro, even when Netflix asks if I want to! It's such an invigorating theme that's majestic and screams 'adventure!' even though it mostly accompanies stories that are often conversation/soapbox dramas.

Meh, I prefer the Goldsmith material in its original recordings for the films. The adaptation of the Courage material is cool enough, but I still prefer the original there, too.

I go back and forth between that one and TMP, tending more toward the latter. There's a certain rawness to the sound that I dig. Plus, as grand as V's Courage fanfare is, there's something special about the musical one-two punch that kicks off TMP's main title.

14 hours ago, Fabulin said:

I rarely watch TV series, so from a purely musical perspective...

1. Perry Mason:

2. Green Hornet:

3. Czterdziestolatek ("The 40-years-old Man"). A very graceful song, both in form an message

Perry mason is pork chops for dinner good.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The TNG version just sounds too small. I too vastly prefer the film version(s)

I agree.