Doctor Sleep (Mike Flanagan 2019)

John

• 3 weeks later...

This movie will have a confirmed runtime of 152 minutes, or 2 hours and 32 minutes. It WOULD have been the longest Stephen King horror adaptation of the year if it weren't for It Chapter 2's unbelievable 169 minutes. Also, it's about 8 minutes longer than The Shining.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/doctor-sleep-runtime-longer-the-shining-1202181606/

For those interested in a comparison between bluray and UHD for Shining: https://translate.google.fr/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hdnumerique.com%2Fdossiers%2F760-test-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-shining.html

And by the way, this website is a gem when it comes to figure out if an UHD release is worth it :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Much like Blade Runner 2049 in 2017, this sequel for a classic early 80s movie had an opening well below the expectations. 

The studio was expecting a US$ 25m opening, but instead it earned just US$ 14m during the weekend, which is lower than any number of recent successful (and non attached to franchises) horror movies, like Lights Out or Don't Breathe. Also, it was humiliatingly defeated by Midway, which had much worse critics, during the weekend.

The bright side is that this movie costed only US$ 45m, so if it gets to US$ 140m worldwide it'll be fine.

Perhaps, like BR2049, Hollywood is overestimating the interest regular movie goers have on sequels for cult movies from the 80s?

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Perhaps, like BR2049, Hollywood is overestimating the interest regular movie goers have on sequels for cult movies from the 80s?

Now they're shitting themselves because it means they might have to come up with original material instead of recycling old stuff repeatedly.

If that's true, the prospects for Dune are very pessimistic. Unless the movie can be the fantasy blockbuster of the next Christmas season, it has big chances of bombing at the box office. And I don't know if Villeneuve can deliver a movie as crowdpleasing as a Star Wars flick, Aquaman or one of the Middle Earth movies.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

If that's true, the prospects for Dune are very pessimistic. Unless the movie can be the fantasy blockbuster of the next Christmas season, it has big chances of bombing at the box office. And I don't know if Villeneuve can deliver a movie as crowdpleasing as a Star Wars flick, Aquaman or one of the Middle Earth movies.

I think they saw in him another Christopher Nolan, someone who can do a more complex, more serious and thinking man's blockbuster.

9 hours ago, toothless said:

Just saw the movie which is significantly better than Shinning imho 

ed7c3230abfb56ffb5f730226cc04db2.jpg

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I think they saw in him another Christopher Nolan, someone who can do a more complex, more serious and thinking man's blockbuster.

I really hope so. I liked all of his movies so far, and Dune is easily my most anticipated movie of 2020... But I can see it earning less money at the worldwide BO than the (also scored by Zimmer, lol) SpongeBob movie.

So I really liked this movie up until 

Spoiler

they came back to the Overlook hotel. I feel like it got really generic and vague about how they were "fighting" the girl from Mission Impossible. Also, all the OG characters from The Shining looked way too fake - overpolished and almost uncanny-valley-ish. Also couldn't get past how Danny's father did not look or sound like Jack Nicholson at all - to the point where I was actually confused if this was supposed to be the same person. I felt the casting of the mother was way better.

I actually enjoyed everything before that - my wife said it reminded her of Twilight a bit, which I didn't really notice (mostly because I've only seen Twilight once about 10 years ago). Definitely felt more "adventure Stephen King" than horror, which is probably what the book goes for too.

Geezes, this was a disappointment. And I was sooo ready to like this, as I think Mike Flanagan is the best of his generation of horror directors out there at the moment. It has some neat visualizations (love those dissolves!), but my suspicion is that he only had so much to work with; I haven't read the book, but it doesn't seem to be a very good one from the storyline here, and I have a feeling King's displeasure with the Kubrick film influenced certain choices in the film as well -- such as

Spoiler

casting Henry friggin' Thomas as "Jack Nicholson"/Jack Torrance; I was expecting an old E.T. to pop up from around the corner. Couldn't they just have tastefully inserted Jack with some CGI or whatever?

I'm glad they returned to Overlook; the film would be an incredible 'robbery' if they didn't. But I think I got more out of the Overlook sequence in READY PLAYER ONE than this one.

• 2 years later...

Any fans of the movie here who would like to see a sequel?

New ‘Shining’ Movie Dead Due to ‘Doctor Sleep’ Bomb, Mike Flanagan Confirms

"I’ll always regret this didn’t happen," said Flanagan, whose "Doctor Sleep" grossed just over $31 million domestic against a $45-million budget.

Just saw this. I rather like the idea of an orderly that knows when hospice patients are going to die and helps them pass on. Very Stephen King in a Green Mile type of way. Would have rather had a whole film just about that.

That being said, film’s atmosphere is great and feels tangible. Good cast and enjoyed it well enough. It’s just a completely unnecessary sequel that adds vampire lore to an immaculate film that didn’t need further explanation.