The Rise of Skywalker score has potentially begun recording

Remco

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 3:13 AM, BrotherSound said:

Here’s a really awful mock-up I just made: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c17ivqdrlo0uwix/Star Wars.m4a?dl=0

Just guessing on the tempo, but I can’t recall any where in episodes 7 or 8 where this theme has this syncopated bass part, or is played by muted trumpets (and possibly muted horns?).

Curious what @Falstaft thinks…

The mock-up sounds like it's in a different key than what is written on the score picture. The staccato low brass writing is definitely modern Williams action music.

On 7/9/2019 at 12:52 AM, Drew said:

The mock-up sounds like it's in a different key than what is written on the score picture.

I did it quickly on my phone, and the app saved the audio file in a different key for some reason. I just wanted to confirm that is doesn’t sound like any statement of this theme in Episode 7 or 8, and that seems to be the case.

I can do a better mock-up in the right key and with the correct muted trumpet sound, if anyone really cares.

On 7/9/2019 at 1:39 AM, crumbs said:

Is the tempo accurate? Assume that wasn't listed in the photo. 

No tempo indication visible, so I just picked a moderate tempo. The instruments and clefs can be inferred without too much trouble, at least.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Alex said:

So.... do we know if RoS has started recording or...?

Ha! That's initially what I came here to find out. It was supposed to start this summer so I assume it has already started. However we have just heard of extensive reshoots. I say extensive as they are supposed to go through September or into September. If they change a lot then scoring will have to be thrown in after as well. So who knows.....

On 7/26/2019 at 9:23 AM, Alex said:

So.... do we know if RoS has started recording or...?

Most certainly

How many of those are actually good, though? I tried Bloodline based on hearsay that it's the only one of the new canon with important backstory, deleted it after the first chapter, the writing was so pedestrian, unedited first draft-like.

Favourite cinematic saga is the keyphrase there, I personally think it works much better on the screen with crazy throwaway alien designs, cool space battles and duels and all that, than in a book having to memorise very stupid names and all that.

7 hours ago, Holko said:

How many of those are actually good, though? 

Favourite cinematic saga is the keyphrase there, I personally think it works much better on the screen with crazy throwaway alien designs, cool space battles and duels and all that, than in a book having to memorise very stupid names and all that.

Yeah, I haven't read anything save for the novelizations of the sequel trilogy, which themselves were kind of uninteresting- not my style of writing. I have seen all the films (of course!), Clone Wars and Rebels. I watched the first episode of Resistance and didn't jive with it. Clone Wars was a great series and I'm super pumped for the long awaited next season. I'm also excited for The Mandalorian (and that Cassian Andor series) so I'll definetly be buying in to Disney+ for that reason. Rebels wasn't particularly endearing, but it did have its highlights (ex. Thrawn, most of the final season's climactic episodes). Pretty much most of the cinematic portion of the franchise is worth viewing if you're the type of fan I am, and I think that's as far as I'll go- I simply don't have time for anything more! I will be rewatching Clone Wars before November though, because it's been four years since I binged that in a time span of about two weeks (a very demanding tenure for my body, especially with all the junk food I was consuming while watching!). 

Can't wait for IX!

When Clone Wars was good, it was really good. When bad, it was pretty bad, but often still had some good ideas, like the lost amnesiac clone having a life and a bar in the midst of that horrible tiny general+droids mini-arc. Rebels was never as good as the best of CW and I really didn't give a damn about Lothal. I couldn't even get halfway through the Resistance pilot, it was revoltingly irritating. Holding out some hope for Mandalorian. Otherwise, the Art Of books are great!

For TFA, I thought they were recording as late as October 2015 or maybe even November 2015 but I could be wrong. For TLJ, the recordings were completed sometime before August 2017 because that’s when the film was officially in the can.

Yeah I'd be expecting another round of sessions at the end of this month, then multiple batches throughout October and November (heavily comprised of inserts and revisions, probably) to finalise the score. Not dissimilar from what happened with TFA, really. 

John's focus so far has probably been on whatever reels were complete enough for him to write substantial cues. Not much point doing a bunch of short cues when the edit is so young. 

2 hours ago, Balahkay said:

For TFA, I thought they were recording as late as October 2015 or maybe even November 2015 but I could be wrong.

For TFA, they were definitely recording into November, because conveniently the leaked scores are all dated, and the dates range from May through November. Doesn’t mean they actually recorded anything in May, but obviously they’re not going to be preparing scores in November without more sessions scheduled.

Note date at the top:

22C26AF8-92AA-4518-A770-258883BDA575.jpeg

5 hours ago, Balahkay said:

Is this part of the full concert version or an insert?

11/4/15 is the concert version. The film version is dated 9/29/15 and goes into this vamp instead, ending abruptly (intended to overlap with the next cue):

E3C44145-E81C-4B6E-BEEF-45A10440C625.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

Was the Jedi Steps concert suite recorded by the TFA orchestra?

It’s not in the leak, but this is only maybe 15-20% of the score, so impossible to say without more information coming out. I can tell you the original cue name was 8M74 “Climbing the Mountain”.

There’s no sign of the alternate loud concert ending of the end credits (with the very late date of 11/11/15!), either, so maybe those were both conceived of after the sessions.

It’s hard to remember but I think Force Awakens was pretty dry on news too. There were more updates with Last Jedi but part of that was Rian Johnson (plus others like Mark Hamill) being so active on social media. Seemed like once every couple months or so Johnson would answer some question about Williams, or there’d be a pic from the sessions, there was that May the 4th video etc.

JJ obviously isn’t like that. I guess we can hope somebody Twitter-happy like Boyega or Richard E Grant gets a visit at some point. We know Williams is working, anyway. 4 months to go....