The Rise of Skywalker score has potentially begun recording

Remco

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

We know Williams is working, anyway. 4 months to go....

I like to imagine that he’s working on it right now, as I type this, some 350 miles to the southeast of me.

Well with TFA we had some leaked photos from the Making Star Wars blog on the first day of recording sessions. There may have been some other little tidbits by this point as well, can't remember. However, on balance, I agree that it's pretty normal to not have heard that much at this point. 

6 hours ago, Bayesian said:

I like to imagine that he’s working on it right now, as I type this, some 350 miles to the southeast of me.

Yes, I imagine Williams has been staying in Tanglewood since the statue unveiling last month, busily writing away in his cabin. He'll probably stay there until the next batch of sessions, maybe later this month when he returns to LA (if not September).

We started to see various musicians adding themselves to iMDB for TLJ around the end of the TLJ sessions (including some percussionists and choir members), but considering the choir cues are usually saved until the end and the TROS sessions will probably continue through November, I doubt we'll see any updates there for a while.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Yes, I imagine Williams has been staying in Tanglewood since the statue unveiling last month, busily writing away in his cabin. He'll probably stay there until the next batch of sessions, maybe later this month when he returns to LA (if not September).

I hope he stays there until at least 24 August.

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I hope he stays there until at least 24 August.

He's supposed to be doing a Q&A during workshops on the 23rd so fingers crossed.

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

What happens on the 24th of August? 

Film Night concert. Williams is listed as a host. Marian and myself are literally crossing the ocean to be there. After Williams' non-show last year in London this might be our only chance to see him live. Those trips aren't cheap!

I'm trying not to hold my breath though...

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

He's supposed to be doing a Q&A during workshops on the 23rd so fingers crossed.

Film Night concert. Williams is listed as a host. Marian and myself are literally crossing the ocean to be there. After Williams' non-show last year in London this might be our only chance to see him live. Those trips aren't cheap!

Karol

Ah yes, I suspect he's stayed there to avoid needless air travel, and once he's finished with hosting commitments he'll go back to LA for another scoring session. Could be early September at this point, possibly an hour's worth of music. 

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Karol

I will travel to the West Coast next week for holiday and a visit to friends. I decided to buy a ticket for the Hollywood Bowl where he is listed as a special guest. I was in London too last year and really upset about the evening without John Williams. It seems he is doing fine and I hope to see him at least as a guest on stage. But I hope that he is able to conduct at least a  encore on the end of the show :)! We will see! 

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

Right, I forgot about that. Fingers crossed and hopes in check.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

The London thing is such a shame. Williams should really just please all parties by holding a concert in Australia

You misspelled Austria there.

34 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Maybe someone could ask him about new TROS themes at this supposed Q&A?

As far as I remember, the Q&A is part of a rather expensive premium packages including a number of Tanglewood events. I'm not attending at least.

58 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

As far as I remember, the Q&A is part of a rather expensive premium packages including a number of Tanglewood events. I'm not attending at least.

How expensive are we talking? We should crowdfund it and write up a list of questions for whoever attends!

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

How expensive are we talking? We should crowdfund it and write up a list of questions for whoever attends!

$400

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/101540

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Sorry, I might be blind but I didn't see any mention of questions or interactions with the audience.  "Conversations" with composers basically means they'll be chatting with each other and you can listen.  I just don't want you guys to cross the ocean thinking you're going to sit down with JW and chat one on one or something.  I don't think from what I saw, there is any Q&A.

14 minutes ago, karelm said:

Sorry, I might be blind but I didn't see any mention of questions or interactions with the audience.  "Conversations" with composers basically means they'll be chatting with each other and you can listen.  I just don't want you guys to cross the ocean thinking you're going to sit down with JW and chat one on one or something.  I don't think from what I saw, there is any Q&A.

Karol mentioned a Q&A above, and I thought I remembered reading it listed that way once before myself. If not, these talks sometimes include a Q&A session with the audience. Depends on the organisation of course. But I'm not attending anyway.

On 8/3/2019 at 1:10 PM, BrotherSound said:

For TFA, they were definitely recording into November, because conveniently the leaked scores are all dated, and the dates range from May through November. Doesn’t mean they actually recorded anything in May, but obviously they’re not going to be preparing scores in November without more sessions scheduled.

Note date at the top:

22C26AF8-92AA-4518-A770-258883BDA575.jpeg

Can I hear more about these leaked scores?

• 2 weeks later...

John Williams has been in Massachusetts for weeks and is hosting a concert tomorrow night. Whoever said that is talking about some day in the past

Geez, I know he seemingly started writing in March but that feels remarkably fast for him to have finished an entire SW score by August!

Links up with what Don said about trying to smash out the recording sessions before the end of September. Seems like JW will have the entire score finished before he heads back to the recording studio for another session; definitely a different approach to the staggered recording sessions for TFA/TLJ. Maybe a deliberate plan from Williams to avoid all those re-writes that plagued TFA?

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Geez, I know he seemingly started writing in March but that feels remarkably fast for him to have finished an entire SW score by August!

It is the same amount of time he put in for Episode VIII.  If it wasn't for the absurdly long time he put into VII, I don't think this would seem even the least bit unusual.  

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Who is it that was speaking?

It was most likely one of the people mentioned here (the other tweets don't make it clear, unfortunately): https://www.starwars.com/news/d23-expo-2019-music-and-sounds-of-star-wars-galaxys-edge-panel