Batman is 30 years old

16 hours ago, Jay said:

1de8350.jpg

The top photo suggests it's a round room. The bottom photo could be showing another section of the room. 

If you showed someone a photo of 10:00 to 2:00 of a round clock, would a photo of 5:30 be a mistake? 

Those were my first action figures. I also had Bob the Goon with his leg permanently stuck kicking, all the other DC figures Toy Biz put out, the Batwing and the Batcave which had the seagull Joker on the computer. I was only able to get all that stuff (Along with Pee-Wee's Playhouse) because Child World went bankrupt and clearanced everything out.

Kenner toys did that one when they started making the Batman figures in 1990, then they reissued it for Batman Returns. Years later they made a similar Episode III Anakin figured that you could assemble the Darth Vader armor onto.

On 6/21/2019 at 5:38 AM, Stefancos said:

You like it? Pretty standard 80's metallic sheen font. Not very noteworthy, and not very "Batman" like, IMO.

That specific font first showed up on the cover of his comics in 1972, and was used on the comic for 15 years. 

Great, fun and entertaining film that suffers from some sub-par VSFX, but then quite a few major films from the summer of 89 had poor visual effects.

Elfman’s score may only be second to Williams Superman as far as superhero scores go.

It manages to keep a dark tone to it and have fun at the same time, something Nolan’s Batman films could have learned from.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't use Dolby Atmos, but the updated sound mix is alright. The new gun sounds and the like were obvious to me. I guess it's a bit like when they redid the Jaws soundtrack.

The film imho still holds up pretty well. It's probably one of the last major boffo pics without a trace of digital effects. But it was probably the prototype of the still-current methodology of film marketing.

Elfman's score is beyond amazing, especially if we think he was still almost a semi-debutante in the film score arena and this was his first major blockbuster film. He told several times it was a very discouraging experience on several fronts, but that didn't influence the final result. It really sounds like Bernard Herrmann reincarnated in many moments. I particularly love this cue, which shows an incredible amount of dexterity in the writing, both in the structural form and in the way it accompanies and enhances the action on screen:

As far as I know, there were no computer graphics in Batman, although the crudely animated Batman in his first appearance on the roof...well, I don't know if it's art, but I like it.

Batman Returns featured cutting edge CGI such as the Batmobile shields, the batarang and photorealistic bird flocks animation.

48 minutes ago, Dieter Stark said:

As far as I know, there were no computer graphics in Batman, although the crudely animated Batman in his first appearance on the roof...well, I don't know if it's art, but I like it.

I remember when Batman Begins was released, Neil Bulk revisited Batman '89 and for some reason that bit was a subject of his ire. He also complained about Gotham looking "unpopulated". Pfft

9 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Seem to remember Anton Furst saying that his idea for Gotham was for it to look like Hell had just kept on building upwards until it broke through.    

Wasn't he also unhealthily obsessed with Beverly D'Angelo?

7 hours ago, The Original said:

I remember when Batman Begins was released, Neil Bulk revisited Batman '89 and for some reason that bit was a subject of his ire. He also complained about Gotham looking "unpopulated". Pfft

Who? What an idiot.