The botoom half of favouritness in your Williams collection.

King Mark

Since I have most of them(around 70 scores the last time i counted),there has to be a bottom half,so here are the ones(in groups rather than specific ones,but with some examples)

1-Late 50's,60's Comedy scores(Fitzwilly,How to Steal a Million..etc...)

2-Mid to late 90's Dramatic scores(Amistad,SPR,7Y in tibet,Rosewood,Stepmom,Angela's Ashes...)

3-Proeminent accoustic Guitar scores(The River,Stepmom)

4-Proeminent banjo,Harmonica scores(Sugerland Express,Missouri Breaks,Man who loves Cat Dancing,and another obvious one I forget because I'm tired)

5-Some of his cold action/disaster scores of the 70's(whatever's in between the Main/End Credits of The Poseidon Adventure,Eiger sanction,Earthquake,Black sunday,though I really like The Towering Inferno)

6-Boring ultra repetitive one theme scores(BOTFJ,Accidental Tourist,Presumed Innocent....all the main themes are good though,it's just hearing them played over andover the same way)

7-Most of his concertos.

K.M.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I have most of them(around 70 scores the last time i counted),there has to be a bottom half,so here are the ones(in groups rather than specific ones,but with some examples)

1-Late 50's,60's Comedy scores(Fitzwilly,How to Steal a Million..etc...)

2-Mid to late 90's Dramatic scores(Amistad,SPR,7Y in tibet,Rosewood,Stepmom,Angela's Ashes...)

3-Proeminent accoustic Guitar scores(The River,Stepmom)

4-Proeminent banjo,Harmonica scores(Sugerland Express,Missouri Breaks,Man who loves Cat Dancing,and another obvious one I forget because I'm tired)

5-Some of his cold action/disaster scores of the 70's(whatever's in between the Main/End Credits of The Poseidon Adventure,Eiger sanction,Earthquake,Black sunday,though I really like The Towering Inferno)

6-Boring ultra repetitive one theme scores(BOTFJ,Accidental Tourist,Presumed Innocent....all the main themes are good though,it's just hearing them played over andover the same way)

7-Most of his concertos.

K.M.

Your bottom feeders are similar to mine. Although I like the comedy scores and disaster scores a bit more than you do.

I find them all to have at least two great tracks (or one great theme). That's what I love about Williams. Even a score I don't care for will have at least one gem on it, and the ones I don't care for, many others love (showing that he didn't miss the mark... just my personal tastes).

MY dust collectors are

Always, BOTFJ, Amistad, SPR, Schindler's List, Poseidon Adventure, A.I., Least Crusade, TPM,

Scores I need to listen to more: 1941, Jaws 2, the Fury, Dracula, Empire of the Sun, Schindlers List,

Scores I can't get enough of: Towering Inferno Jaws, Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Raiders, E.T. Temple of Doom, Jurassic Park, Lost World, Harry Potter.

Score most likely to join the dust collectors, ATOC.

Score I'm anticipating the most this year, is Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, though I am eager for Minority Report(this film looks great).

Score I am not looking forward to: Catch Me if You Can.

Score assignment John NEEDS to grab. Timeline.

Joe, who implores the gods of film scores to answer my last plea.

:) Swing, Swing, Swing. 1941

I only have 24 of the film scores which is modest by this board's standards. (I'm working on it though!) AI, SPR and Amistad are the least of my favorites. I think Schindler's List is an amazing score, but one I don't listen to very often.

Mari - :mrgreen: (I just realized every score I listed is for a Spielberg movie.)

AI, SPR and Amistad are the least of my favorites.  I think Schindler's List is an amazing score, but one I don't listen to very often.

Even though you don't have a huge collection, those are my sentiments too.

OOPS... except AI, which I love the expanded score to.

-Chris, Shocked to see that Hook isn't in Joe's dust collector catagory...

I honestly don't understand how amistad is so underrated. It's a brilliant brilliant score.

The score from JW that I find to be the dullest hearing experience is actually Jaws.

Boring ultra repetitive one theme scores(BOTFJ,Accidental Tourist,Presumed Innocent....all the main themes are good though,it's just hearing them played over andover the same way)

Born on the Fourth of July is definitely NOT a one-theme score, although the expanded release does sound repetitive if you don't LOVE the main themeS.

Presumed Innocent contains one major theme only, but it is developed quite nicely throughout the score (IMHO).

Accidental Tourist has a couple of good variations of the main theme, but it's definitely a repetitive release. :mrgreen:

I, too, have a modest collection by the standards set by some others on this board. I have 38 soundtracks and 5 concertos. The dust collectors I have are JohnGoldfarbPleaseComeHome, Penelope, Conrack, Heartbeeps, Nixon and Stepmom. I think I've listened to each only once, maybe twice.

I really enjoy listening to the classics, and bust out some of the older soundtracks for dinner music ( Paper Chase, but now more likely Yo-Yo Ma & Trumpet Concerto ).

When I lived in a house with a pool, I used to put the speakers up against the window and play Jaws... :mrgreen:

When I saved my distraught wife from having to return our brand new $2500 sectional by disassembling it and rearranging it the way she really wanted it, I played Superman.

When I capture mosquitos and try to clone dinosaurs from the DNA they carry, I play Jurrasic Park.

Oh, wait ... no I don't ... :oops:

-j

-Chris, Shocked to see that Hook isn't in Joe's dust collector catagory...

Hook has been given a repreive of sorts. Since i think AOTC's love theme sounds alot like Hook, so I had to compare it. Since most of my music listening takes place at work I brought the cd to work.

I have listened to it an amazing 3 times in the last 2 months. Still find nothing that I like about it, but since it is here I might listen again when I want to listen to something different.

Oh yes, I had to listen to it when Alan challanged me about TPM's Panaka and the Queen and it comparison to Ultimate War.

Joe,