Hans Zimmer's The Lion King (2019)

Giftheck

THELIONKING2019.jpg

The soundtrack for the live-action remake of The Lion King is due out July 11 digitally and July 19 on CD. Unlike the 1994 OST, the soundtrack includes the music standalone as opposed to being arranged into suites. Not all track titles have been published yet. So far there appears to be two new songs in the form of whatever TBA is supposed to be, and "Never Too Late" which is probably the new end title song.

I'm intrigued because this essentially quates to what The Legacy Collection set of the 1994 score has, at least in arrangement. It makes me curious to hear what exactly has been changed this time around. The film is reportedly 30 minutes longer and I highly doubt this is 'everything'. Also interesting is the aforementioned lack of suites - we all know Hans loves to have suites on his soundtracks.

1.     Circle Of Life - Nants' Ingonyama - Lindiwer Mkhize & Lebo M
  2.     Life's Not Fair
  3.     Rafiki's Fireflies
  4.     I Just Can’t Wait To Be King - JD McCrary, Shahadi Wright Joseph & John Oliver
  5.     Elephant Graveyard
  6.     Be Prepared (2019 Version) - Chiwetel Ejiofor
  7.     Stampede
  8.     Scar Takes The Throne
  9.     Hakuna Matata - Billy Eichner, Seth Rogen, JD McCrary & Donald Glover
  10.     Simba Is Alive!
  11.     The Lion Sleeps Tonight - Billy Eichner & Seth Rogen
  12.     Can You Feel The Love Tonight - Beyoncé, Donald Glover, Billy Eichner & Seth Rogen
  13.     Reflections Of Mufasa
  14.     Spirit - Beyoncé
  15.     Battle For Pride Rock
  16.     Remember
  17.     Never Too Late - Elton John
  18.     He Lives In You - Lebo M
  19.     Mbube - Lebo M

34 minutes ago, xWxzek said:

Mufasa is a lion in this movie, but he identifies as a wolf. 

I think that is an important and worthwhile lesson for the kids today. Identity is not biological - in fact biology has nothing to do with it at all. It is all about what you think your identify is.

7 hours ago, xWxzek said:

What spoilers are they worried about in the remake of a 25 year old movie????? 

Who knows? The film is 30 minutes longer and Favreau says that while it has the same basic story beats things unfold in a different manner. All I know is that it's attributed to Beyonce.

I'm intrigued to know if He Lives In You and Mbube are new recordings or are just the Rhythm Of The Pride Lands versions.

1 hour ago, Gistech said:

Who knows? The film is 30 minutes longer and Favreau says that while it has the same basic story beats things unfold in a different manner. All I know is that it's attributed to Beyonce.

I think they Maybe just want to keep the name of the new Beyonce song secret 

Just now, Luke Skywalker said:

I think they Maybe just want to keep the name of the new Beyonce song secret 

Maybe... but why, though? Unless she plans on releasing it as a single first or something.

Has a composer scoring an original and remake happened many times before?

(I was going to ponder how unusual it is, but someone would probably reply listing a whole load of times it's happened)

6 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Has a composer scoring an original and remake happened many times before?

(I was going to ponder how unusual it is, but someone would probably reply listing a whole load of times it's happened)

Well...menken has done beauty and the beast and Aladdin...

• 2 weeks later...

"TBA" is "Spirit" by Beyonce.

Sounds more like an end credits song than something in the film, unless Nala gets a new musical number.

I've just seen part of the Circle of Life sequence on YouTube.

It doesn't sound like they recorded a new instrumental - they're literally using the 1994 instrumental with a new main vocalist. Even the backing vocals are the same.

Doesn't bode well for the rest of the score being anything evolutionary, does it? I'm starting to think this is going to be more a 'The Legacy Collection Plus Additional Overlays"-type deal.

You can hear some of the soundtrack at the start of the Live Premiere.

I was much more impressed by the 1994 score. Maybe it's because here they're just throwing bits together out of sequence and they need to be heard in context, but I'm not really impressed by it TBH. The 1994 score sounds better-orchestrated.

There's also an interview with Zimmer at about the 40 minute mark.

35 minutes ago, Alex said:

Do we know who HZ’s “co-composers” are for this? Who has he roped in this time? Or is it just him?

Pretty much everybody from 1994, I think. Even NGS is conducting and Mancina's in.

57 minutes ago, Alex said:

Do we know who HZ’s “co-composers” are for this? Who has he roped in this time? Or is it just him?

Steve Mazzarro and David Fleming are credited as additional composers.

Kevin Kaska, Carl Rydlund and Jennifer Hammond are credited as orchestrators.

On 10. Juli 2019 at 10:38 AM, Gistech said:

I've just seen part of the Circle of Life sequence on YouTube.

It doesn't sound like they recorded a new instrumental - they're literally using the 1994 instrumental with a new main vocalist. Even the backing vocals are the same.

Doesn't bode well for the rest of the score being anything evolutionary, does it? I'm starting to think this is going to be more a 'The Legacy Collection Plus Additional Overlays"-type deal.

You can hear some of the soundtrack at the start of the Live Premiere.

I was much more impressed by the 1994 score. Maybe it's because here they're just throwing bits together out of sequence and they need to be heard in context, but I'm not really impressed by it TBH. The 1994 score sounds better-orchestrated.

There's also an interview with Zimmer at about the 40 minute mark.

You expect something evolutionary from Hans Zimmer?

Listening to this right now. Just the score, as I'm sure the songs have been fuckin' trashed. I almost immediately skipped Hakuna Matata when I accidentally let it play. Fuck me, that was awful!

Not bad. Much of it seems to have been practically quoted from the original score, but it's a really good interpretation. It seems Hans Zimmer is the only person to deliver something worthwhile from these terrible remakes. A very cool version of the score.

7 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Circle Of Life is not the same recording as the original. 

At the very least, it sounds like they're using the same drum track as the original, at least from the samples. I know they re-recorded all the vocals from those samples.

7 minutes ago, Dieter Stark said:

Listening to this right now. Just the score, as I'm sure the songs have been fuckin' trashed. I almost immediately skipped Hakuna Matata when I accidentally let it play. Fuck me, that was awful!

Not bad. Much of it seems to have been practically quoted from the original score, but it's a really good interpretation. It seems Hans Zimmer is the only person to deliver something worthwhile from these terrible remakes. A very cool version of the score.

From the sounds of things, it's something of a 'Legacy Collection Plus' set.

Talking of songs, I wonder how many people will just bin all but Circle of Life and replace them with the original songs.

I saw that this was available on Apple Music now.  Well, every track except track 14, the new Beyonce song.  The only way to listen to that song is by going to the Beyonce single version.  Haven't listen to the OST yet, just found it odd that you can't listen to the whole album through Apple Music.  I have only been an Apple Music sub for about a month so, maybe happens more often, still seems odd to me.

24 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Instrumentals are new as well. The score is already out digitally. No need for samples!

I have just bought it myself.

I'm in no doubt that Circle of Life only uses new vocal recordings to replace Carmen Twillie's performance. Even Lebo M's recording from the original is there, as is the original backing choir.

I'm pretty sure they also reused choral recordings from 1994 in "Remember" from the original finale piece.

Everything else is new.

23 minutes ago, rolltide1017 said:

I saw that this was available on Apple Music now.  Well, every track except track 14, the new Beyonce song.  The only way to listen to that song is by going to the Beyonce single version.  Haven't listen to the OST yet, just found it odd that you can't listen to the whole album through Apple Music.  I have only been an Apple Music sub for about a month so, maybe happens more often, still seems odd to me.

You might have to buy the entire album either rather than just streaming it. It's that way on Amazon - you can't buy the track individually.

As for my own thoughts, it's actually much better than I thought. It does sound like a good expansion of the 1994 material. Though I do wonder how deep Zimmer had to dig in order to find all those percussion patches again :P

If I had to choose a favourite, Battle of Pride Rock for sure. It suggests more flashbacks given the amount of Stampede material incorporated.

Prince of Egypt is great but if I had to choose one Zimmer animation score then it would be the Lion King. Can’t wait to listen to this!

I like the gags in Hakuna Matata. Though TBH I miss Ernie Sabella. Don't get me wrong: I like Seth Rogen but when I hear his voice I hear Paul, not Pumbaa.

I got goosebumps listening to this. It's rather darker than the original in parts, but a wonderful new interpretation of the classic score. "Stampede" is amazing!

Just now, DemonStar said:

I got goosebumps listening to this. It's rather darker than the original in parts, but a wonderful new interpretation of the classic score. "Stampede" is amazing!

Ditto. it's a perfect compliment to the 1994 score. I love how Stampede's been worked into Battle of Pride Rock (so maybe Scar isn't going to spill the beans immediately)