Hans Zimmer's The Lion King (2019)

Giftheck

On 7/11/2019 at 6:16 PM, Fabulin said:

The 1994 Lion King OST was like orchestral soul music. Half of the instrument and rhytmic/melodic choices were quite haunting. This one sounds like Black Panther mixed with Epic Trailer Music, which to me breaks most of the dramatism. At first I was actually kind of boiling internally, because to pollute a rather delicate score with the aesthetic of 2010s pop soundtracks is bafflingly sacrilegious. That being said, the reimaginings of the two action cues are quite good as far as the use of themes goes. Remind me of the score to the sequel more than the original.

And I really liked this moment:

"Mufasa don't die pls:(

Well put.  It really sounds more like an amateur mock-up of The Lion King than something new: "sure, it's good, but it needs more Zebra and amplified solo cello."  I'll admit I do like some of the choral revisions in "The Stampede," though.  It's also baffling just how badit sounds at points.  Something's really off with the tuning in a couple places.  It's really a shame; the suite on the "World of Hans Zimmer" album was so well-done and I had hopes the new album would be in that vein.

• 2 weeks later...

There's only two tracks that truly bother me, and even then only half of each track - the latter halves of "Stampede" and "Reflections of Mufasa".

It's not the fact they're at a different pitch. It's the fact that they sound like they've been artifically reduced in pitch, during mixing. Bumping them up to the same pitch as the 1994 equivalents makes them sound far more natural.

Also, the ending of "Reflections of Mufasa" is unsatisfying compared to the original anyway, and I really don't think Spirit worked in the place it went. It would have worked as a song in the end credits. That sequence could have had an extended version of Busa Simba.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Talking about bootlegs is allowed, just don't post links to it.

To the best of my knowledge though, this has not leaked out yet.

On 8/10/2019 at 4:52 PM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I wouldn't say the score is pointless. It's a good listen and I quite like the tracks criticized above.

Same. I thought "Stampede" was an improvement over the original. But "Reflections of Mufasa" is a downgrade from "Remember Me" for sure.

3 hours ago, Mephariel said:

Same. I thought "Stampede" was an improvement over the original. But "Reflections of Mufasa" is a downgrade from "Remember Me" for sure.

Stampede sounds good, but the way its synched up with the visuals in the movie is atrocious.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Is this the longest pause in a direct follow-up reply in the history of the forum? :lol:

I've seen people on this forum in 2020/21 replying to comments made in 2005, 2006, 2002...

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I've seen people on this forum in 2020/21 replying to comments made in 2005, 2006, 2002...

Yeah that’s just other people bumping old threads. Here, JohnnyD asked Jokerslb a question and he didn’t respond for a year. 

Interesting comments on the score. I have to admit that I broadly enjoyed the score and most of the redos of the songs in the remake although I can understand not enjoying that it’s all amped up to 11. I think I was most surprised by the fact that the score and songs were so similar to the original when most of the other Disney live action remakes have had fairly different scores for the most part even if the songs are broadly the same.

Having said all that I thought the film was atrocious and couldn’t wait for it to end. If they had to do it they should have asked whoever did the daemons in the recent tv version of His Dark Materials as the animation there showed 100 times more personality than Disney managed (technically brilliant that it mostly is). There’s a reason that movies about talking animals are animated… (although the “live” action version is just a super realistic CGI movie when a semi-realistic one would have better).

On 7/6/2021 at 9:09 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

Interesting comments on the score. I have to admit that I broadly enjoyed the score and most of the redos of the songs in the remake although I can understand not enjoying that it’s all amped up to 11. I think I was most surprised by the fact that the score and songs were so similar to the original when most of the other Disney live action remakes have had fairly different scores for the most part even if the songs are broadly the same.

Having said all that I thought the film was atrocious and couldn’t wait for it to end. If they had to do it they should have asked whoever did the daemons in the recent tv version of His Dark Materials as the animation there showed 100 times more personality than Disney managed (technically brilliant that it mostly is). There’s a reason that movies about talking animals are animated… (although the “live” action version is just a super realistic CGI movie when a semi-realistic one would have better).

Yeah I hope Barry Jenkins has a much better vision for the sequel than this. 

On 7/6/2021 at 5:05 AM, Koray Savas said:

Yeah that’s just other people bumping old threads. Here, JohnnyD asked Jokerslb a question and he didn’t respond for a year. 

:lol: ;) :sigh:

Acording to user of hans-zimmer.com website...

DUNG BEETLE / RAFIKI KNOWS
LIFE'S NOT FAIR
MOUSE
NE'ER DO WELLS
SCAR TAKES THE THRONE
UNCLE SCAR'S CAVE

PRIDE ROCK PLAN
THE STAMPEDE

NALA ATTACKS

Still missing some...

I am convinced this film was a tech demo. Disney’s people were designing new tech and someone said “hey, what if we make some money instead of spending money?”

I did think the film’s score was as interesting as it could have been, given that much of it is a re-recording. I’m interested in the next one’s score, Zimmer and Britell is an interesting combo.

Has Zimmer even been confirmed for the next one? Are we sure he won't just farm it out to one of his lackeys like he did the two direct-to-video animated sequels?

17 hours ago, Giftheck said:

Has Zimmer even been confirmed for the next one? Are we sure he won't just farm it out to one of his lackeys like he did the two direct-to-video animated sequels?

He has been confirmed. In terms of farming, I mean, John Powell farms his cues out and he is a favorite around here...so do Giacchino, Tyler, McCreary, Beltrami...etc. How sure are you they wrote the music you are playing?

12 hours ago, Mephariel said:

He has been confirmed. In terms of farming, I mean, John Powell farms his cues out and he is a favorite around here...so do Giacchino, Tyler, McCreary, Beltrami...etc. How sure are you they wrote the music you are playing?

I was referring to the fact that Zimmer did not compose the two follow-ups. Those were done by Nick Glennie-Smith and Don Harper, respectively.

1 minute ago, Koray Savas said:

Imagine calling Nick Glennie-Smith a lackey. 

Hyperbole is fun, isn't it? :lol: