Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Score Predictions

crumbs

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Mid Year Score Predictions  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Has John already completed a batch of recording sessions?

2. 2. Which new characters has John written a theme for?

• Jannah (Naomi Ackie)
    • Zorri Bliss (Keri Russell)
    • Allegiant General Pryde (Richard E. Grant)
    • The Knights of Ren
    • Klaud (the slug creature)
    • D-O (BB8's new companion)
    • Something else (specify in the comments)
  3. 3. Which existing characters receive a new theme?

• Rey
    • Kylo Ren
    • Lando Calrissian
    • The First Order
    • Finn
    • Someone else (specify in the comments)
  4. 4. What is the score's 'signature' new theme?

• Rey/Kylo Ren duality/showdown theme (ala Battle of the Heroes)
    • Rey's Destiny/family discovery type theme (ala Window to the Past)
    • Kylo Ren's long-anticipated march
    • A stirring 'uniting the galaxy' theme about the Resistance rallying planets to fight the First Order
    • Just a new character theme; the score won't have any 'nebulous' themes (ala Anakin's Betrayal)
    • Something else (specify in the comments)
  5. 5. How long will the complete score be?

• Far shorter than either TFA (175 minutes) or TLJ (185 minutes) due to the compressed production schedule; a 'normal' 2 hours
    • About the same as TFA and TLJ (3 hours)
    • Far longer than the previous two scores, due to extensive JJ revisions (200+ minutes)
  6. 6. What microphone setup will Murphy use for his recording?

• Something dry and harsh, like The Force Awakens
    • Something wet and warm, like The Last Jedi
    • Something in between
  7. 7. Which noteworthy theme DOES NOT return?

• Poe's Theme
    • Rose's Theme
    • Han Solo and the Princess
    • Kylo Ren's B or C Theme
  8. 8. Does John or his music have any form of diegetic cameo in the film, even as an easter egg?

9. 9. Which (relatively unused) theme/idea from the previous trilogies makes a return?

• Lando's Palace (ESB)
    • Emperor's Theme (ROTJ)
    • Duel of the Fates (TPM)
    • Across the Stars (AOTC)
    • The Asteroid Field (ESB)
    • The Imperial March (ESB)
    • Lament/Immolation Scene (ROTS)
    • Into the Trap (ROTJ)
    • Through the Flames (ROTJ)
    • The Dark Side Beckons (ROTJ)
    • The Legend of Darth Plagueis (Sith motif from ROTS)
  10. 10. Will the score feature choral elements?

• Yes, prequel-esque choir for the epic climax
    • Yes, but only in short, select moments (like Finn's Attempted Sacrifice)
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

1. I should think some things have been recorded, even if it be a few small cues.

2. I don't really expect a new major character theme, but I'd like to see a small but cool rhythmic motif for Zori Bliss.

3. I don't think any existing character will actually receive a new theme. I predict Williams might harken back to Lando's Palace briefly for Lando. And for Rey and Finn, new material would depend a lot on story beats. A vast change in character or circumstance may entail the emergence of a new idea. I voted Kylo Ren (hand in hand with First Order), as he is the most unsteady of all the characters, and is most likely to see significant changes. But I don't suspect a brand new theme, rather a developed militaristic piece for both him and the First Order, as hinted at in The Last Jedi's Peace and Purpose.

4. A difficult question, but I went for a final showdown theme, even though I predict that such a battle would play out to whimsically stunning renditions of preexisting themes (ex. Rey and Ren's respective themes dancing around before culminating in a grand and heroic outburst). 

5. The complete score will be around the same length as The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, and I expect the movie may be the longest one yet, if not close to The Last Jedi's 2h 30m.

6. Wet and warm please!

7. Han Solo and the Princess? (although that theme has, um, found a way in this trilogy)

8. Yeah! Rumors would suggest that there's a particularly cameo-filled scene, possibly Williams related, and JJ seems like the type to do such a thing.

10 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I predict Williams might harken back to Lando's Palace briefly for Lando

Williams is not "above" repurposing themes, but - it should be said - "Lando's Palace" isn't a theme for Lando: its for Cloud City. It doesn't follow him into Return of the Jedi.

I'm well aware of that, but it could have been a possibility going into Solo, and it was actually used infrequently in the Rebels animated TV series as Lando's theme. Of course, I think that highly unlikely, but I also don't expect anything new and frequent for Lando, in that sense.

I think it will have two (at most) new themes/associated concert pieces.  I answered Rey's Destiny. I would like a cool medieval-sounding Knights of Ren theme, but more likely we get one for the slug creature.  Perhaps Lando's palace makes a short cameo.

As I continue to think Anakin is in this movie, I also think Anakin's theme will return. 

54 minutes ago, Tom said:

As I continue to think Anakin in his in this movie, I also think Anakin's theme will retur

Anakin's Theme was always strictly the theme for the young, Jake Lloyd Anakin, so I don't think we'll see that one returning, either.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Anakin's Theme was always strictly the theme for the young, Jake Lloyd Anakin, so I don't think we'll see that one returning, either.

Unless we see the Japor Snippet like in ROTS! ;)

9 hours ago, SteveMc said:

The Jedi Steps Theme will play a central role in the showdown.

Or at least it should. 

Should it? It’s a theme that refers to Luke: basically the inversion of the main title material. While he will appear as a ghost, I doubt he’ll play much of a role in the actual climax.

The idea of the Jedi Steps is that its a "look what became of Luke Skywalker" theme. Its got a melancholy sense, due to the inversion of the opening leap - which informs Luke's self-imposed exile - but it also has shades of the Imperial March (hence the sense of ambiguity) as Williams (who hadn't the foggiest clue of what's to come in The Last Jedi) asks the question: Has Luke secretly turned evil? Would he? Even if that question barely gets picked up in The Last Jedi (the whole "Luke tried to kill Ben in his sleep" is basically Johnson playing with the idea, but that's as far as it goes) it certainly serves the cliffhanger of the movie.

I can't see how that kind of thematic idea - beautiful as it is - would have any place in The Rise of Skywalker, in which Luke would likely appear in cameo-capacity. Sure, Williams could re-purpose it like he did Ben Kenobi's Theme, but for some reason, I just don't see it happening. Maybe it has to do with the way in which Williams discarded it in The Last Jedi. To see it back would be like getting the Imperial Motif back in Return of the Jedi.

Ah yes I see what you mean, that seems indeed to be the function of that theme. I would only say that on a purely musical/theoretical level that inverted fifth isn't so much to suggest a connection.

Have you checked out the concert version of Jedi steps? It has this interesting bit where he takes some music from ‘Torn Apart’ (when we see Kylo totally conflicted with himself) and then it ends in an even more ambiguous way. The fifth is substituted by a minor third, which really suggests the concluding interval of the Imperial March.

The concert version always made me think that Williams might have considered a future role for the theme outside of that particular scene in TFA - but TLJ never really gave him that opportunity I guess.

I mean, it does reappear in The Last Jedi, outside of the score to the re-enacted scene. After Luke tosses the saber, it’s reprised; but that’s it.

20 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I mean, it does reappear in The Last Jedi, outside of the score to the re-enacted scene. After Luke tosses the saber, it’s reprised; but that’s it.

Yeah, but that was just for the connection to the scene and location – unfortunately it could never develop from there.

Listening to those clips reminds me just how great the TLJ score is. For me, though, it is like the world's most exquisite condiment on a rancid piece of meat.  Eventually, I will be able to separate the two, but not yet.  

Funny, this.

I clearly like the film more than you, and the score - less.

1 hour ago, Falstaft said:

There's also a brief but very clear rendition at the start of "Lesson Two":

Oh yeah, I forgot that one! Haven't seen/heard the piece in quite a while!

9 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Should it? It’s a theme that refers to Luke: basically the inversion of the main title material. While he will appear as a ghost, I doubt he’ll play much of a role in the actual climax.

It refers more than to just Luke, in the same way as the main title represents the heroism Luke is destined for more than just Skywalker himself.  In the same way, the music represented the immediate object of Rey's quest, but also her broader quest and destiny for heroism and as a Jedi.  It would work very well in the context of whatever Rey's fulfillment as a character is.

Yeah, if JJ took anything away from TLJ I hope it's the realisation that giving JW centre stage for big dramatic moments is a crucial part of the Star Wars formula. Also that your film doesn't need constant dialogue explaining everything that's happening. The best musical moments in TFA are any stretches where JW was free to score without the restraint of dialogue interrupting. 

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

The best musical moments in TFA are any stretches where JW was free to score without the restraint of dialogue interrupting. 

Not much of those unfortunately, but boy are they great!

18 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

It refers more than to just Luke, in the same way as the main title represents the heroism Luke is destined for more than just Skywalker himself.

Like I said, Williams can repurpose the theme, as he did Luke's Theme. But, for some reason, I doubt he will. For one thing, he's been using his themes quite strictly (in terms of their narrative purpose) in these last two scores.

16 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Also that your film doesn't need constant dialogue explaining everything that's happening.

The Force Awakens has its fair share of none-dialogue sequences: just look at the introduction of Rey. The music still verges on the imperceptible. Its just a sound mixing choice; and being that The Force Awakens is perhaps the least extrovert of the eight scores (quite unlike The Last Jedi), it sure doesn't help.

4. What is the score's 'signature' new theme?

TPM:

1. The Flag Parade

2. Anakin’s Theme

3. The Adventures of Jar Jar

4. Duel of the Fates

AOTC:

1. Across the Stars

ROTS:

1. Battle of the Heroes

TFA:

1. March of the Resistance

2. Rey’s Theme

3. Scherzo for X-Wings

4. The Jedi Steps/The Jedi Steps and Finale

TLJ:

1. The Rebellion Is Reborn

TROS:

1. The Rise Of Skywalker ??? 

🤔

2 hours ago, A Ghost From Highwood said:

I just hope there won’t be a Reylo theme... 

JJ, don’t give in.

You know it's going to happen... give in to your hate. Let it flow through you.

Ha! I hadn't looked at the poll since the last two questions were added!

9. I voted Emperor's Theme (obviously the most popular), the Imperial March (because we're 2 for 2) and Into the Trap as a personal hope, because that's one of my favourite parts of Return of the Jedi. It might also be cool to here the Alliance Assembly idea, but with a more Resistance-oriented take. 

10. I personally hope for a final act that's big on choir, but I expect it to actually be more subdued. Voted for the former nonetheless. 

And regarding question 9, I kind of laughed when I saw Duel of the Fates, because I had to thinking of the godawful tracking in Revenge of the Sith (Yoda vs. Sidious) and mainly Attack of the Clones (Anakin talking to, ahem, Jawas). :lol:

55 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

And regarding question 9, I kind of laughed when I saw Duel of the Fates, because I had to thinking of the godawful tracking in Revenge of the Sith (Yoda vs. Sidious) and mainly Attack of the Clones (Anakin talking to, ahem, Jawas). :lol:

Don't worry, JJ only tracks music from ANH.