Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Score Predictions

crumbs

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Mid Year Score Predictions  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Has John already completed a batch of recording sessions?

2. 2. Which new characters has John written a theme for?

• Jannah (Naomi Ackie)
    • Zorri Bliss (Keri Russell)
    • Allegiant General Pryde (Richard E. Grant)
    • The Knights of Ren
    • Klaud (the slug creature)
    • D-O (BB8's new companion)
    • Something else (specify in the comments)
  3. 3. Which existing characters receive a new theme?

• Rey
    • Kylo Ren
    • Lando Calrissian
    • The First Order
    • Finn
    • Someone else (specify in the comments)
  4. 4. What is the score's 'signature' new theme?

• Rey/Kylo Ren duality/showdown theme (ala Battle of the Heroes)
    • Rey's Destiny/family discovery type theme (ala Window to the Past)
    • Kylo Ren's long-anticipated march
    • A stirring 'uniting the galaxy' theme about the Resistance rallying planets to fight the First Order
    • Just a new character theme; the score won't have any 'nebulous' themes (ala Anakin's Betrayal)
    • Something else (specify in the comments)
  5. 5. How long will the complete score be?

• Far shorter than either TFA (175 minutes) or TLJ (185 minutes) due to the compressed production schedule; a 'normal' 2 hours
    • About the same as TFA and TLJ (3 hours)
    • Far longer than the previous two scores, due to extensive JJ revisions (200+ minutes)
  6. 6. What microphone setup will Murphy use for his recording?

• Something dry and harsh, like The Force Awakens
    • Something wet and warm, like The Last Jedi
    • Something in between
  7. 7. Which noteworthy theme DOES NOT return?

• Poe's Theme
    • Rose's Theme
    • Han Solo and the Princess
    • Kylo Ren's B or C Theme
  8. 8. Does John or his music have any form of diegetic cameo in the film, even as an easter egg?

9. 9. Which (relatively unused) theme/idea from the previous trilogies makes a return?

• Lando's Palace (ESB)
    • Emperor's Theme (ROTJ)
    • Duel of the Fates (TPM)
    • Across the Stars (AOTC)
    • The Asteroid Field (ESB)
    • The Imperial March (ESB)
    • Lament/Immolation Scene (ROTS)
    • Into the Trap (ROTJ)
    • Through the Flames (ROTJ)
    • The Dark Side Beckons (ROTJ)
    • The Legend of Darth Plagueis (Sith motif from ROTS)
  10. 10. Will the score feature choral elements?

• Yes, prequel-esque choir for the epic climax
    • Yes, but only in short, select moments (like Finn's Attempted Sacrifice)
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Yeah, Poe's theme has appeared fairly one dimensionally at this point, and it's not used as much as it could be. I think the bigger heroic statements are the most it gets (I'm thinking I Can Fly Anything and The Resistance from the FYC, Escape from TLJ ). Then there's that great moment in Farewell and the Trip, which just mixes so much together perfectly. Peace and Purpose is as toned down as it gets. I think it'd be neat to hear it become a bit more connected to the character rather than just his heroic acts, although it's "swashbuckling" nature, as you put it, is great for that. 

Rose's theme gets a bit more of a run in TLJ, and it's quite good. There's some really almost galloping iterations that just knock your socks off. It'd seem as though Rose is a bit more in the background in IX (can't know for sure, but we've only seen one photo of her), so for Mr. Williams to bring her theme up on solo flute or for strings or something light would be appropriate I feel.

Since this is the end of "The Saga", I hope they'll do something different with the end credits, like a montage or still frames from all movies. That would give Williams a chance to bid farewell to all characters and their themes.

45 minutes ago, Modest Expectations said:

I wonder how will "dedicated to the memory of Carrie Fisher" be presented

This already happened in the Last Jedi credits, she died right after Rogue One came out.  It was just a short quote of Leia's theme starting on piano in the "Finale" track of the soundtrack.

I'd say the new Han Solo and the Princess arrangement is Williams' tribute to Carrie, unofficially. In much the same way I always interpreted his recent update to The Face of Pan as a tribute to Robin Williams' untimely passing.

• 1 month later...

Not even close to sub-par. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (and the first Jurassic World to a lesser extent) on the other hand (refer to 2:10):

"I had to. They're alive; like me."

You're grounded for life.

Look, I like the direction they are going for as Michael Crichton originally referenced the idea of dinosaurs being on the main land in the original novel, but the way it was executed here was, to put it respectfully, questionable.

Se la vie.

Anyway, I really cannot wait to see how the Star Wars Saga wraps up, as well as hear the Maestro's score. I have no expectations whatsoever because I'm too excited to have any expectations. I'm in the midst of the Saga, leading up to both my trip to Galaxy's Edge on December 12th through the 15th, and then the big finale a week later.

Not to mention the definitive release of the Maestro's score to Minority Report coming out and possibly another definitive release of one of the Maestro's scores (I know, not related to Star Wars, but I'm still excited).

• 2 weeks later...

I have this hope that the score will feature more choir than the previous scores on the ST. Maybe not an epic piece like Duel of the Fates (although I would FUCKING LOVE that), maybe something more akin to with Finn's Attempt Sacrifice or Luke revealing his trick to Kylo on The Last Jedi, but still, using choir to amplify the drama.

And, if that happens, it will be a wonderful change to the tendency in recent scores.

I mean, until a few years ago, it was common to use choir on epic action/fight/battle scenes. There's Arthur's Farewell from Goldsmith's First Knight, Duel of the Fates and Battle of the Heroes on the prequels, Shore's Middle Earth scores (LOTR more than The Hobbit), Zimmer's Gladiator and King Arthur, Don Davis' wonderful Neodamerrung from The Matrix Revolutions, Horner's War from Avatar,  Silvestri's Mummy Returns and Van Helsing... And probably a few more that I'm forgetting.

Even Carter Burwell used choir for the final battle on the Twilight Saga!

But these days, I guess only Giacchino is using choir on his action music (My Rex is Bigger than Yours from JW, Hope from Rogue One, etc).

Just look at Silvestri's Avengers Endgame, for an example. It's the final battle for the fate of the universe, every single Marvel superhero versus Thanos and his minions, and he scores it like every other action scene on his MCU movies, with almost non-existant choir (that said, I loved Portals, lol).

On the case of TROS, it will be the (alleged) last battle for the fate of the galaxy. I just hope Williams shows some enthusiasm and writes a BOTH-like theme for it.

Ah, a fellow lover of the "epic" choir sound! It really was a staple of the 2000s that kind of went away, unfortunately.

In terms of choral writing in Star Wars, I don't think Revenge of the Sith will ever be topped, particularly that second half of the score.

Somewhere between ROTS and TLJ would suit me just fine, when it comes to choral elements.

My theory is that JJ likely temped the film with LOTS of choral music from the prequels -- especially all that creepy low-male chorale for the Emperor (used extensively throughout TPM, and Williams already revisited that style for Snoke).

And I'd be surprised if heavy choral cues like DOTF or Anakin's Betrayal weren't temped somewhere if the film has that trademark 'all hope appears lost' type scenes. JJ showed a lot of restraint with TFA but I think the chains are off for this trilogy capper. Any sane director would tell Williams to go for broke as well.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but supposedly the third trailer that is going to debut on Monday during the football game will have some of Williams' score for the film including some reshoot scenes.

46 minutes ago, Trent B said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned but supposedly the third trailer that is going to debut on Monday during the football game will have some of Williams' score for the film including some reshoot scenes.

Where'd you hear that from? I've found these specific scoops misleading in the past because the general Star Wars fan just hears a Williams theme and labels it new Williams music, when it's just trailer music using John's material. 

It's amazing that no musicians or vocalists have added this score to imdb or their personal websites yet! 

Are they not even allowed to acknowledge their involvement in the score? So weird. 

20 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's amazing that no musicians or vocalists have added this score to imdb or their personal websites yet! 

Disney just discovered how cheap music notation software is compared to musicians!

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

Where'd you hear that from? I've found these specific scoops misleading in the past because the general Star Wars fan just hears a Williams theme and labels it new Williams music, when it's just trailer music using John's material. 

Here. 

I don't remember the exact time stamp for it. I watched it late last night.

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Still wondering why the retailers don’t have entries for the soundtrack yet. I need to know how many levels of emboss to expect.

I think they're still doing some finalizations on the score with that video above that I posted.

23 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I hope the action version of Rey's Theme only found in the TLJ deleted scene is somehow tracked into this movie and included on the OST!

Is that the one with her running on the island?

On 10/8/2019 at 1:28 AM, JohnnyD said:

I really cannot wait to see how the Star Wars Saga wraps up,

Umm, Luke stands up to the Emperor, is beaten down only for this to compell Vader to kill the emperor, dying in the process. The Empire is defeated and the Republic restored. That’s it.

Episode IX will probably never be the true conclusion of the series: its the conclusion of a story begun after the conclusion of the series, which is contained within Return of the Jedi.

7 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Umm, Luke stands up to the Emperor, is beaten down only for this to compell Vader to kill the emperor, dying in the process. The Empire is defeated and the Republic restored. That’s it.

Episode IX will probably never be the true conclusion of the series: its the conclusion of a story begun after the conclusion of the series, which is contained within Return of the Jedi.

I agree with this 100%.  However, I am viewing this as the true musical conclusion to the series, which is a big deal in its own right.  

That's actually a genuinely interesting question: I always assumed Williams will go out with a bang here, but the real question is what will he do to position this score as a culmination of his entire body of work on this series...

My guess is - nothing at all. Williams probably will treat this score as the resolution strictly to his work on The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. The thematic throughline to earlier entries will probably be conveyed largely through the Force Theme: Enter Binary Sunset.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

That's actually a genuinely interesting question: I always assumed Williams will go out with a bang here, but the real question is what will he do to position this score as a culmination of his entire body of work on this series...

My guess is - nothing at all. Williams probably will treat this score as the resolution strictly to his work on The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. The thematic throughline to earlier entries will probably be conveyed largely through the Force Theme: Enter Binary Sunset.

If I were JJ Abrams, I would specifically ask JW to compose an end credits suite that reflects this huge achievement. I would want him to do brief statements of loads of Star Wars themes, even from the prequels, and then end with a grand finale befitting his work on these 9 movies.

9 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Umm, Luke stands up to the Emperor, is beaten down only for this to compel Vader to kill the emperor, dying in the process. The Empire is defeated and the Republic restored. That’s it.

Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker is the conclusion of the Skywalker Saga, which began with Episode I: The Phantom Menace (or Episode IV: A New Hope, release-wise).

Just because it features the same characters, doesn’t mean it’s a legit continuation of the same story. It’s a story completely and utterly separate to that of episodes I-VI.

It exists purely because the filmmakers could make it. But they were so preoccupied  with whether or not they could, that they didn’t stop to think if they should.