Best Mike Matessino release?

ckahn

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Yeah, I mean, HP is one thing, but there's no way I'm buying every single Indy or SW score: SW4 and Indy 2 and 4 aren't worth it.

By SW4 you mean the original Star Wars? Really?

7 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

How the fuck do people find the score to Star Wars boring? And Return of the Jedi more interesting? What?

Seriously, I expected an answer like "I already have the SE and have no intention to shell out again for only marginal improvements"

I fully expect a 30th anniversary lowkey release à la SPR coming this year from LLL though.

On 7/3/2019 at 10:39 PM, bollemanneke said:

Well I recently revisited the Original Star Wars scores and found 4 quite boring, 5 very engaging and 6 possibly even more so.

Are you serious?

On 7/2/2019 at 9:11 AM, Holko said:

Only one of those is possible and come on LLL, it's July already even in the magical land of forestfires.

We’ve been more or less spared so far this year, although the real fire season typically starts in the fall. PG&E has been sending out a fair bit of mail in the past few weeks about wildfire preparedness (presumably to let us know they’re on top of things this year). 

On 7/3/2019 at 6:32 PM, Dieter Stark said:

Why doesn't anyone like Always?

I like it. But in the pantheon of amazing Williams scores, it is a footnote at best I think. That said, if a definitive complete release were produced by LLL or Intrada I would be tempted to buy it, for sure.

Yavar

Just now, Yavar Moradi said:

I like it. But in the pantheon of amazing Williams scores, it is a footnote at best I think. That said, if a definitive complete release were produced by LLL or Intrada I would be tempted to buy it, for sure.

Yavar

It would be the definitive footnote!

I mean, when it comes to Jerry Goldsmith I'll re-buy Criminal Law if any music was found to be recorded but not included on the album.

So a definitive Always isn't that crazy, for Williams fanatics. :)

Yavar

• 1 year later...
On 7/2/2019 at 3:59 AM, Jay said:

JAWS certainly must be mentioned.  When you stop and realize he used the exact same digital transfers that were used for the 2000 Decca release, yet the finished product is SO drastically different in sound quality, you realize just how hard he worked on that to get it to sound how it did (and how much technology improved in 15 years)

Hate to be that guy but Intrada commissioned fresh transfers of the analogue elements for the Jaws expansion.

Universal provided Intrada with the same analogue elements used for the 2000 Decca release, but Mike had the benefit of working with new, high-resolution 24-bit transfers of the material.

19 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Hate to be that guy but Intrada commissioned fresh transfers of the analogue elements for the Jaws expansion.

Universal provided Intrada with the same analogue elements used for the 2000 Decca release, but Mike had the benefit of working with new, high-resolution 24-bit transfers of the material.

Not a Williams score but a good example of this is Poltergeist. MM worked both on the Rhino and FSM release from the same sources and managed to improve immensly the sound quality for the FSM.

2 minutes ago, danbeck said:

Not a Williams score but a good example of this is Poltergeist. MM worked both on the Rhino and FSM release from the same sources and managed to improve immensly the sound quality for the FSM.

I believe the same thing happened with Poseidon Adventure. Mike remastered the score in 2019 using the same transfers as the previous release a decade prior (not sure if the 2010 LLL used the same transfers as the FSM release a decade before that).

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

You found a post from a year ago where I made a mistake and bumped it fresh for all to see my mistake. Thanks. 

This is what the press release of the 2010 Poseidon said 

For this release, the 2" 24-track tape containing the original 35mm 6-track mag was transferred into Pro Tools, and restored and mixed with the advantages of another decade's advance in sound processing technology.

So presumably all three releases are sourced from the same 2", which is first gen. Some things just age differently in vaults than others! 

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

You found a post from a year ago where I made a mistake and bumped it fresh for all to see my mistake. Thanks. 

Definitely wasn't malicious. By sheer luck I was reading the technical notes for the Intrada Jaws yesterday then happened across this thread today and noticed your comment.

Just thought it was worth mentioning, given the recent discussion in other threads around modern high-resolution transfers vs remastering older transfers that used older technology. Jaws is the perfect case study in how quality remastering + modern high-res transfers can yield massive improvements.

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

So presumably all three releases are sourced from the same 2", which is first gen. Some things just age differently in vaults than others! 

Certainly more detail than the 2019 LLL, which only says:

POSEIDON has been restored and meticulously remastered from original vault materials for improved sound over previous releases

I assume the liner notes have more detail, but I still can't purchase that box (as it's OOS).

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Which release used tapes that had aged badly?

I was talking about Poseidon Adventure.  Even though they have the first gen element, it doesn't sound great

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

I was talking about Poseidon Adventure.  Even though they have the first gen element, it doesn't sound great

Gotcha. Are there aspects on the earlier releases that sound better, due to the tape being in better condition?

On 7/2/2019 at 2:46 AM, danbeck said:

Superman (some controversy on this one for the dynamic range as I saw in some forums but sounds great to me).

What is wrong with the dynamic range of Superman 3CD set?

I have also read some complaints on the remastering of the OST album on Disc 2 of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial 2CD set but haven't noticed any problems with it.

BTW is there any other case where Mike Matessino's remastering reportedly sounds worse than the original soundtrack release?

1 hour ago, E-Wan said:

I have also read some complaints on the remastering of the OST album on Disc 2 of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial 2CD set but haven't noticed any problems with it.

I'm not aware of any problems with the OST section of the LLL set. It's just obvious (to me at least) that it doesn't come from as good a source as disc 1 or most of the bonus tracks. Still sounds great to my ears though :)

I've just tried a google to find comments about the DR of the LLL Superman set, but found nothing of note. Given the much-vaunted (and rightly so) discovery of the 1st-gen tapes, it should have more DR than any previous release.

That said, it's possible that some people listening on - ahem - 'modest' equipment or in planes/trains/automobiles might find the extra DR irritating. The quiet bits will be quieter, which can be tricky to hear over background noise - you then turn the volume up only to get deafened when the LSO brass section next release a salvo.

Mark

All MM releases are greatly mastered, the dynamic range of the recordings is always so well preserved with only a slight, clean use of limiters. I can't think of any release to complain about.

No, I was right. Fox employees did the editing. He told them what to edit.

Hence the assembly credit on his website I linked to

4 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

I've just tried a google to find comments about the DR of the LLL Superman set, but found nothing of note. Given the much-vaunted (and rightly so) discovery of the 1st-gen tapes, it should have more DR than any previous release.

That said, it's possible that some people listening on - ahem - 'modest' equipment or in planes/trains/automobiles might find the extra DR irritating. The quiet bits will be quieter, which can be tricky to hear over background noise - you then turn the volume up only to get deafened when the LSO brass section next release a salvo.

Mark

At the time I posted about the controverse on the dynamic range of LLL Superman there was this discussion happening at the FSM Board, check the posts of the users Nono and Tyuan

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=10&threadID=124036&archive=0

They claim that on the LLL the DR was compressed, in any case I think It sounds great and was never able to compare to the WB original album myself.

On 10/27/2020 at 7:14 AM, crumbs said:

If I remember correctly it was not the same analogue elements. Douglass Fake mentioned that for the Jaws 25th anniversary Decca release they had used the 5.1 remix that was prepared for the dvd and downmixed it to stereo (with lots of noise reduction)