Best Mike Matessino release?

ckahn

Sure, but the 5.1 mix created in 2000 for the film was created from a transfer of the exact same analog element than the 2013 transfers used to make the 2015 CD were.

To be more clear:

The music was performed in 1975 and the master recording of every take was stored as a 3 channel mix on analog tape.

That tape sat rotting in a vault until 2000 when the guys at Universal Pictures made a digital transfer of it so that they could have the music in the new 5.1 mix not be mono, and someone got the idea to fold that mix down to stereo and sell it on CD and that's how we got the Decca CD.

That tape was put back in the vault until 2013 when they pulled it out and gave it a fresh digital transfer, and Mike built the 2015 Intrada CD from that transfer.

8 minutes ago, danbeck said:

If I remember correctly it was not the same analogue elements. Douglass Fake mentioned that for the Jaws 25th anniversary Decca release they had used the 5.1 remix that was prepared for the dvd and downmixed it to stereo (with lots of noise reduction)

I only went off the technical notes in the new Jaws release which said they used the same analogue elements, freshly transferred by Intrada in high resolution. 

As Jay said, the source used to create that 5.1 mix was likely the same analogue 3 track source. 

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I mean, it's literally the only source

Not overly familiar with the recording of this score but they didn't record to multi-tracks, only the 3-track mix?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

You know there's already 2 very famous re-recordings, right?

Re-recordings don't really interest me, unless Williams conducted them.

I don't understand the confusion.  Crumbs said "Probably as good as the score will ever sound, outside of a rerecording.", which to me reads that he didn't even know that Williams already re-recorded it (for the OST album) and Joel McNeely did as well.  Maybe I am just misunderstanding what he wrote ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The McNeely one?  It's interesting because when recording the original score, Williams taceted out various instrument lines at various points in some cues.  But for the McNeely re-recording, they left them all in, so you get to hear lots of little differences compared to the film recording, on top of the completely different orchestra performance and recording quality

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The McNeely one?  It's interesting because when recording the original score, Williams taceted out various instrument lines at various points in some cues.  But for the McNeely re-recording, they left them all in, so you get to hear lots of little differences compared to the film recording, on top of the completely different orchestra performance and recording quality

It’s an interesting recording but my main problem with it is that the shark theme itself / low strings are very low in the mix that also has to much reverb.

When they recorded it the actual score was not available but then the Decca edition was released almost at the same time of the release of this Varese re-recording and it lost some of its appeal.
I’d love a modern re-recording with a more close miked/sharp sound, including the extended album versions of some of the score tracks.