Jump to content

Hans Zimmer's NO TIME TO DIE (2021)


Recommended Posts

  • 4 weeks later...

Johnny Marr, English guitarist who worked on the score:

 

Quote

“There’s a lot of noises,” Marr teased. “Kind of like electronic noises. Sound design as well… And I won’t go into all the details, but there’s a thing that you can do with guitars that’s a thing you can’t do with synthesizers. So, I’m flying the flag for that… On this movie I got a chance to do quite a lot of bugged-out sound design as well, which has been really fun.”

 

Doesn't that just sound... great :unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

“There’s a lot of noises,” Marr teased. “Kind of like electronic noises. Sound design as well

 

LOL

 

So it'll be like Dunkirk, right? Because a Dunkirk-like score is very appropriate for Bond. My gosh...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

Given how the Craig era has gone so far, I have my doubts. He could certainly surprise us, but with what the producers have aimed for with this iteration of the character (especially if Nolan Batman was an inspiration), it's hard to imagine it not being more of the same from recent times. Plus, given Mazzaro's co-credit (especially having worked on another EON production recently), it seems like another vehicle for him to get his career off the ground after his work on past several HZ scores. Anything goes, but I have more faith in some of his other projects.

 

BTW, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this particular song yet, given it kind of functions as his Bond song prior to contributing to the actual one on NTTD. Probably doesn't sound much like anything in the actual 007 series, but it's too fun not to bring up anyway:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Sounds fun. As long as they use that classic theme enough I’m all in. Even if it’s an rcp take on the material.

 
While I liked Newman’s work on Skyfall, the action music was a bit limp. So I’m looking forward to a bit more testosterone in this final Craig outing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dunno about that - it appears in Tomorrow Never Dies pretty frequently, I thought


But yea, it wasn't used as much in Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace on purpose

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The clips of Zimmer's score we've heard so far (the Gun Barrel, this video, some other looping variations of the vamp) have been so generic they really could have been from any of the David Arnold or Thomas Newman scores. Hell, the Gunbarrel IS just a re-recording of Newman's version from Spectre. I'm far more intrigued to hear Zimmer's own material.

 

The best thing to come from this film musically so far is the instrumental version of the song on the (also delayed) Bond 25 compilation/re-recording. I'm looking forward to hearing that whole album (orchestral versions of all the title songs - can't wait to finally get a full version of You Know My Name with - hopefully- a decent performance.)

 

I think this clip may be from the NTTD instrumental which will be on the score album, which is different to the one on the compilation above.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I dunno about that - it appears in Tomorrow Never Dies pretty frequently, I thought


But yea, it wasn't used as much in Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace on purpose

Tomorrow never dies isn't a Craig movie (unless toothless edited that into his post...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

 

That's an interesting video. I noticed the musicians aren't wearing masks, which means the score was recorded before the pandemic. 

 

It's also interesting to see that the whole orchestra is recording. From what I've seen from other recording sessions for Zimmer scores is that he (and the other RC composers) usually like to record each section of the orchestra separetdly. First the strings, then the brass, then the percussion, etc. So, it's nice to see that at least for this score they recorded everyone together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Permanent Waves said:

Tomorrow never dies isn't a Craig movie (unless toothless edited that into his post...)

 

 

Huh, I read Arnold movies instead of Craig movies somehow. Weird. 

 

My mistake

 

 

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

That's an interesting video. I noticed the musicians aren't wearing masks, which means the score was recorded before the pandemic. 

 

 

If course it was, have you already forgotten this film was supposed to open in April 2020? Eilish's song already came out, was a hit, and won the Grammy too... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

That's an interesting video. I noticed the musicians aren't wearing masks, which means the score was recorded before the pandemic. 

 

It's also interesting to see that the whole orchestra is recording. From what I've seen from other recording sessions for Zimmer scores is that he (and the other RC composers) usually like to record each section of the orchestra separetdly. First the strings, then the brass, then the percussion, etc. So, it's nice to see that at least for this score they recorded everyone together.

 

The score was recorded in Feb 2020, right before all the shut down happened. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else get DG’s mail about the release for Hans Zimmer’s score?

 

Besides the standard (for a high profile release, at least) CD, vinyl and vinyl picture disc, there’s also a golden cassette.

 

It can be yours for only 11,99 € + shipping!

 

D0370AB9-A35F-4521-A0B9-36F4129C3969.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

Did anyone else get DG’s mail about the release for Hans Zimmer’s score?

 

Besides the standard (for a high profile release, at least) CD, vinyl and vinyl picture disc, there’s also a golden cassette.

 

It can be yours for only 11,99 € + shipping!

 

D0370AB9-A35F-4521-A0B9-36F4129C3969.jpeg

 

Sounds Legit, F---in Golden! - Blagojevich | Meme Generator

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's the tracklist on the cassete tape, no idea if it's real or not:

 

A1. Gun Barrel
A2. Masterful (?)
A3. Message from an old friend
A4. Square Escape
A5. Someone was here
A6. Not what I expected
A7. What have you done
A8. Shouldn't we get to know each other first?
A9. Cuba chase
A10. Back to MI6

 

B1. Good to have you back
B2. Lovely to see you again
B3. Home
B4. Norway chase
B5. Gearing up
B6. Poison garden
B7. The Factory
B8. I'll be right back
B9. Opening the doors (?)
B10. Final Ascent
B11. No time to die

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's Matera, not Masterful.

 

Here's the 2LP tracklist:

 

https://www.ebay.de/itm/393538697419?hash=item5ba0bbf8cb:g:B6MAAOSwkDNhKRZN

 

https://www.ebay.de/itm/373714127793?hash=item5703190bb1:g:~MgAAOSwH8VhORT9

 

1 Gun Barrel

2 Matera

3 Message From An Old Friend

4 Square Escape

5 Someone Was Here

6 Not What I Expected

7 What Have You Done?

8 Shouldn’t We Get To Know Each Other First

9 Back to MI6

10 Good To Have You Back

11 Norway Chase

12 Opening The Doors

13 Final Ascent

14 No Time To Die

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Here's the tracklist on the cassete tape, no idea if it's real or not:

 

A1. Gun Barrel
A2. Masterful (?)
A3. Message from an old friend
A4. Square Escape
A5. Someone was here
A6. Not what I expected
A7. What have you done
A8. Shouldn't we get to know each other first?
A9. Cuba chase
A10. Back to MI6

 

B1. Good to have you back
B2. Lovely to see you again
B3. Home
B4. Norway chase
B5. Gearing up
B6. Poison garden
B7. The Factory
B8. I'll be right back
B9. Opening the doors (?)
B10. Final Ascent
B11. No time to die

 

The tracklist has been known for a year

 

On 10/2/2020 at 9:00 AM, Jay said:

 

1. Gun Barrel (0:55)
2. Matera (1:59)
3. Message From an Old Friend (6:35)
4. Square Escape (2:06)
5. Someone Was Here (2:56)
6. Not What I Expected (1:24)
7. What Have You Done? (2:14)
8. Shouldn’t We Get to Know Each Other First (1:21)
9. Cuba Chase (5:40)
10. Back to MI6 (1:30)
11. Good to Have You Back (1:17)
12. Lovely to See You Again (1:25)
13. Home (3:45)
14. Norway Chase (5:06)
15. Gearing Up (2:53)
16. Poison Garden (3:58)
17. The Factory (6:42)
18. I’ll Be Right Back (4:59)
19. Opening the Doors (2:44)
20. Final Ascent (7:25)
21. No Time to Die – Billie Eilish (4:04)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What does everyone expect from this score? Is Hans Zimmer doing James Bond just going to be standard Hans Zimmer fare? Do we know how much of the score was actually written by Hans?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, artguy360 said:

What does everyone expect from this score? Is Hans Zimmer doing James Bond just going to be standard Hans Zimmer fare? Do we know how much of the score was actually written by Hans?

 

He seems to be quite upfront about working with Steve Mazzaro, so who knows.

 

He also isn't being all "this is something you've never heard before, and it's the greatest thing ever", which gives me hope that it's just trying to sound like a Bond score and hasn't been Zimmerfied.

 

The very short snippets that are out there sound fun, though they do make me wonder, "Why didn't you just get David Arnold back?".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I think that's the first ... the others usually feature Bond, the leading lady/ladies and sometimes the villain. The 'support team' don't usually get a look-in.   

I suppose they have to cast their net as demographically wide, as possible, these days.

 

 

 

 

 

18 hours ago, Tallguy said:

How many Bond posters have actually had Q?

 

Star Trek Q GIFNot many! :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Not sure if an aspect of the score can be considered a spoilers, but NTTD features 

  Hide contents

new arrangements of We Have All The Time In The World AND OHMSS main title theme

 

 

Arranged by HanZ' minions? No thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

 

Arranged by HanZ' minions? No thanks!

 

The really shocking reveal is that the Zimmer Ninjas are at this moment sneaking into everyone's physical and digital collections an erasing all traces of Barry's recordings. HEY! Even The Incredible's teaser is now Zimmer!

 

5 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I think that's the first ... the others usually feature Bond, the leading lady/ladies and sometimes the villain. The 'support team' don't usually get a look-in.   

 

The old posters at least used to have the "Massive Military Force in a Battle Scene". Man, I miss posters like that. Kind of like Luke / Leia / Vader / ALL THE X-WINGS IN THE GALAXY!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/18/2021 at 12:26 AM, Anthony said:

 

He seems to be quite upfront about working with Steve Mazzaro, so who knows.

 

He also isn't being all "this is something you've never heard before, and it's the greatest thing ever", which gives me hope that it's just trying to sound like a Bond score and hasn't been Zimmerfied.

 

The very short snippets that are out there sound fun, though they do make me wonder, "Why didn't you just get David Arnold back?".

 

Hans Zimmer himself said on the podcast that loved the passion and respect David Arnold brought to Bond and he needed to pay respect as well and stay true to the spirit of Bond and kept that timeless style but make it more modern. He specific mentioned that he was not trying to turn this into Interstellar.

 

And I love David Arnold's Bond scores, but the last thing they need to do is to bring him back already. What makes Bond interesting is that it is a one of those franchises where we can debate which Bond is the best and which Bond composer is the best. They should switch the composer for every Bond film, or at least, every couple.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

They should switch the composer for every Bond film, or at least, every couple.

 

I'm wouldn't be against this at all, as long as it wasn't just rotated between RC folks. Desplat, Pemberton, Powell...gimmie!

 

I've a fondness for Arnold because he's been consistently reliable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Anthony said:

 

I'm wouldn't be against this at all, as long as it wasn't just rotated between RC folks. Desplat, Pemberton, Powell...gimmie!

 

I've a fondness for Arnold because he's been consistently reliable.

 

Powell has roots in RCP too...And even though Desplat may be the only composer who can make a Bond score more boring than Newman's, I absolutely would love to hear what he comes up with as well. But I think there are a lot more interesting names out there than the ones you listed: George Kallis, Debbie Wiseman, Thomas Clay, Bear McCreary, Ludwig Göransson, Daniel Hart, Nicholas Britell, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.