DigitalfreakNYC

Selling entire collection!

So things have happened in my life that have caused me to need to sell my entire collection of soundtracks.  Some of these discs I've had in my possession for 20-30+ years.  Some are unopened.  I take immaculate care of my discs - smoke free home, no pets, no kids.  There are hundreds.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to get the best price from reliable buyers.  I usually use discogs and have lots of stuff on eBay as well.  Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Could you price up your collection,  advertise here, and get people to PM you, if they're interested?

At the very least, open the kimono.

Meaning price up the entire collection together or each disc individually?

Sorry to hear that you have to sell your entire collection, DigitalFreak.

If I can offer one small advice regarding pricing: I know it's tempting to put the CDs out to a price that recoups your cost, especially if you're in financial difficulties. But the reality of it is that you will never be able to recoup your original cost in regard to CDs. Not even half of it. So if you bought, say, a limited edition CD for $20 (without shipping) once upon a time, you're lucky to get $10 for it -- depending on rarity, of course.

When I sell CDs (well, try to, anyway), I put them out for about 1/4th or 1/5th of the original cost, and even that moves product somewhat slowly. But at least it moves.

Just to give you a 'reality check'; you do what you wish, of course. Good luck -- and looking forward to see what you have to offer, and what you charge for it! :)

In my experience, out-of-print speciality label CDs and some popular OST titles, easily fetch the original price or more, assuming they've not been superceded by a newer, better release. Auction listings on eBay are probably the best way to get a good price for popular titles.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

In my experience, out-of-print specialty label CDs and some popular OST titles, easily fetch the original price or more, assuming they've not been superceded by a newer, better release. Auction listings on eBay are probably the best way to get a good price for popular titles.

I was about to say, I always dig through eBay listings that have actually sold for an item to get an idea of what I can make back. Sometimes it's 50% of retail. Sometimes I've made three times what I paid or more.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What's your experience regarding selling on Discogs vs. eBay? Which one sells faster?

All depends.  I have random crap sell on discogs that doesn't sell on ebay and vice versa.  I sell a TON of stuff on both.  So, basically, if anyone sees the list and wants something else on discogs (or ebay, for that matter) and wants a deal on all of it, I guess discogs makes it easier because I can list everything at once.  I have hundreds and hundreds of cd's, vinyl, DVD's, blu-ray's and more.

On 7/5/2019 at 9:57 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

In my experience, out-of-print specialty label CDs and some popular OST titles, easily fetch the original price or more, assuming they've not been superceded by a newer, better release. Auction listings on eBay are probably the best way to get a good price for popular titles.

Yeah, well obviously it depends on rarity, as I mentioned earlier. Rare limited edition CDs by attractive composers sometimes stand a chance of recouping your original cost. But for "regular" CDs, it's basically impossible -- whether on ebay, discogs or elsewhere. In my experience, anyway. Of course, "regular" CDs in Norway are more expensive than many other places (they've basically hovered between $18 and $23 new for the last 25 years -- I try to sell these for about $5).

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, well obviously it depends on rarity, as I mentioned earlier. Rare limited edition CDs by attractive composers sometimes stand a chance of recouping your original cost. But for "regular" CDs, it's basically impossible -- whether on ebay, discogs or elsewhere. In my experience, anyway. Of course, "regular" CDs in Norway are more expensive than many other places (they've basically hovered between $18 and $23 new for the last 25 years -- I try to sell these for about $5).

Regarding the OSTs, I was referring to stuff that's been OOP for years, are still popular, and probably had a somewhat limited pressing. Which platform do you use for selling CDs?

I prefer to sell them privately, through forums like this and such. A bit of a hassle with Ebay etc., but I used them quite a lot in the past.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I prefer to sell them privately, through forums like this and such. A bit of a hassle with Ebay etc., but I used them quite a lot in the past.

So where can I see your listed CDs? :)

Listing on eBay is indeed time consuming.

Mine is coming soon, probably after the holidays. I aim to clean up my storage room and apartment for stuff I don't really need anymore. Downsizing.

Also, a tip to DigitalFreak -- since he lives in the US -- is Peter Kelly's moviemusic.com store. Although I'm not sure he'll pay you the money you want, or if he even buys CDs anymore. Couldn't find much info about that on the site.

99 plus one = one hundred. It's a precise, measurable number.

"A hundred" is just a guess, an order of magnitude, an estimate. It could be 100, it could be 95, it could be 106.3, but it doesn't matter because it's just a figure of speech for exaggerating a claim when the precise number doesn't matter.

On 7/8/2019 at 7:13 AM, Thor said:

Mine is coming soon, probably after the holidays. I aim to clean up my storage room and apartment for stuff I don't really need anymore. Downsizing.

Also, a tip to DigitalFreak -- since he lives in the US -- is Peter Kelly's moviemusic.com store. Although I'm not sure he'll pay you the money you want, or if he even buys CDs anymore. Couldn't find much info about that on the site.

He's more than a bit of a Trump supporter.  No thanks.  I stopped using him a while back.

On 7/9/2019 at 9:53 PM, DigitalfreakNYC said:

He's more than a bit of a Trump supporter.  No thanks.  I stopped using him a while back.

Whaaaaat? He is? If that's the case, I understand you completely. moviemusic.com hereby boycotted.

13 hours ago, Thor said:

Whaaaaat? He is? If that's the case, I understand you completely. moviemusic.com hereby boycotted.

I talked to him on facebook a few years ago because he friended me (or vice versa) and I saw some rather right-winged stuff on there about guns...and one thing led to another....

Haven't ordered from them since 2015.

On 8/21/2019 at 9:32 PM, JTWfan77 said:

They pay a pittance. Offered me next to nothing for my Goodbye, Mr. Chips FSM set.

What was a 'pittance', if I may ask?

@Thor

If I remember they offered me around $20 for about 15 CDs including Chips and Slipstream and Silva's Jane Eyre. And then I would have to post the CDs to them at +/- $50. 

On 8/21/2019 at 9:58 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Oh, I'm sure he is, at the right price! :)

It's also the bleeding shipping that messes everything up. 

Perhaps one day if I visit Norway we can do a trade ;)

A lot of out of print stuff is listed for ridiculous amount.  

This is entirely up to you but when I sold all my CDs I practically did it for either close to how much it was originally or half the price.  It got a lot of people interested that way. If they lived here in the US the price included shipping.  Of course if it was outside of the country I had to add shipping to the price of the CDs.  Shipping outside the country is astronomical these days though.

Sorry to read that you're having to sell your entire collection.

Edit: I hope you at least got rips of your collection on your computer.