Mike Matessino's Indiana Jones

Jurassic Shark

If MM gets to produce remastered and expanded soundtrack albums of all Indy films, what would he have to improve on the earlier releases in order to end up with the definitive presentations?

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

Complete tape rescan at correct speed

Wasn't it ToD that had the wrong speed in the Concord set? Is the pitch noticeable different than that of the OST? I've never compared.

I would be amazed if this weren't being worked on in some capacity, however early stages it might be.

Williams is in a completely different mindset than he was when Concord made their set.

13 hours ago, crumbs said:

A proper film score presentation of TOD would be a great start, with the alternates placed correctly at the end rather than replacing the film versions (like Map or To Pankot Palace Insert).

Someone once made a version of Map that includes the film version AND the alternate in one.

That's my favourite! I wonder what people here would think of such an approach.

I did the exact same thing when the set came out. I wonder if it's the same one I did?

It was indeed the best of both worlds. I love the extended version of the love theme in the alternate, it's awesome.

7 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I would be amazed if this weren't being worked on in some capacity, however early stages it might be.

Williams is in a completely different mindset than he was when Concord made their set.

Hypothetically, we won’t see a release until after the 5th film gets made, if that ever happens.

2 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Someone once made a version of Map that includes the film version AND the alternate in one.

I've often thought of doing that, though I've never actually gotten around to it.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Brand new matching ones by Jim Titus!

Hm, while that possibility is intriguing, I can't imagine anything other than that original album artwork for Raiders of the Lost Ark, obviously touched up a bit and with the "expanded edition" sprawled across the top. Of course, I would be open to possibilities- it's Jim Titus after all!

17 hours ago, El Jefe said:

Hypothetically, we won’t see a release until after the 5th film gets made, if that ever happens.

I hope this film doesn't happen.

Karol

21 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

It works great! This is roughly what I edited together when the Concord set first came out:

On 7/6/2019 at 1:08 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

If MM gets to produce remastered and expanded soundtrack albums of all Indy films, what would he have to improve on the earlier releases in order to end up with the definitive presentations?

A complete endtitle as heard in the film. talking ToD.

7 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

A complete endtitle as heard in the film.

Ah yes, infuriating omission #2. Right behind Rope Bridge. Or maybe this one is worse, considering how easily that small section could've been included in either Return to the Village or End Credits.

22 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Link, please!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hnJyL-CHMCKKUV4R7ERS1LXOBJgyikTy

22 hours ago, crumbs said:

I did the exact same thing when the set came out. I wonder if it's the same one I did?

I've got a vague memory that the one I've got was done by @GoodMusician after I requested it, but I might be wrong there.

I myself have combined and split tracks at will here and there, with little regard to how they were recorded.

For example, my "Over the Himalayas" ends early; before the spooky bit for the introduction to the Indian village starts.

That part I merged instead with the next cue in "The Starving Village", which seems to flow together beautifully.

In theory, I suppose these two tracks should've been one; but with the tone changing so drastically midway, this split seems to make the most sense to me.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ErTbnRl0dCv2CR8BjuQScIu4TdjNt4Df

I do something similar with "Water! and The Bridge", which ends right after the British fanfare.

"Return to the Village and End Credits" then starts with the happy/relieved music right after.

My reasoning is again similar: The music flows well together, but the resulting track is too long and changes pace drastically.

The first bit is extremely intense and exciting, while the denouement is basically the exact opposite.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UZfGv3uLetrdmxRzH43gcSOBUb7t_7S1

https://drive.google.com/open?id=173RRl743lw0mGE40N0qZaWP60ro7Cpvh

The first 3 are the best posters indeed, already used for the DVD trilogy boxset and reproduced in custom covers. It may be the best choice but I kinda want to see something new!

1 hour ago, Holko said:

The first 3 are the best posters indeed, already used for the DVD trilogy boxset and reproduced in custom covers. It may be the best choice but I kinda want to see something new!

I'd be open to anything!

Jim took a photo of a kid on a bike then painted over it, but the sky is an ILM matte painting used in the film

ET00008.MatteDept2.jpg?resize=1000%2C682

https://theseconddisc.com/2017/11/extra-terrific-inside-the-art-of-la-la-lands-e-t-soundtrack-reissue/

1 hour ago, ATXHusker said:

I almost had a heart attack when I read the thread title coming back from vacation in the Rocky Mountains!  Y'all are killing me! LOL

Seriously.  I wish this was real.  I think it will be eventually though.  There's so much missing music.

8 hours ago, jwalk713 said:

Also-- I'd love for someone to help me confirm or 'disconfirm' this: I'm 97% sure that there is an alternate insert in the film version of 'British Relief,' Firstly-- the cymbal clash on the downbeat of the fanfare is much louder in the film than on the CD (likely just a matter of mixing), but when the horn cluster reprise/variation begins-- the tempo is slightly different, and I'm pretty sure one particular chord is changed, slightly. (any other obsessors feel free to commune with me on this! lol)  

Sounds more like an incorrect take being used on the last release, with the proper film take for that section unreleased. They weren't particularly thorough with QC on the Concord box.

11 hours ago, crumbs said:

Sounds more like an incorrect take being used on the last release, with the proper film take for that section unreleased. They weren't particularly thorough with QC on the Concord box.

Sounds about right. Now we just need someone within the Disney machine to be willing to give this project to Mike, and all will be righted. 

2 minutes ago, jwalk713 said:

Sounds about right. Now we just need someone within the Disney machine to be willing to give this project to Mike, and all will be righted. 

Like someone else said in this thread, really don't see this happening until the 5th is released.

41 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Like someone else said in this thread, really don't see this happening until the 5th is released.

:: sigh :: So I guess we just have to suffer one more nail in the damned coffin before we get the jewels of the kingdom? All right. I'll take that bullet. 

I'd really rather SS dropped Indy altogether. If you ignore the existence of KotCS, you have a perfect trilogy that doesn't need to be added to.

JW's score for KotCS was serviceable but hardly something that makes me want a 5th film or score.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

JW's score for KotCS was serviceable but hardly something that makes me want a 5th film or score.

Just skimming through the KOCS sessions tonight, thinking of how Matessino would handle all those short cues, but bored out of my brain at cue after cue that sound the same as the one preceding it. Barring two highlights (the warehouse and campus chase), the first hour of the score is such a slog. So many monotonous underscore cues with thin orchestration... there's little of those trademark Jay-Dubs flourishes that gave life to the original scores.

One of the criticisms of KOTCS is how "off" everything feels from the beginning. From the obnoxious CG in the opening shot, to Kaminski's wildly off-putting cinematography and Ford struggling to spark life into Koepp's awkward dialogue, but even the music (barring the fun militaristic march as the Russians storm the base) just feels wrong from the opening cue. Nothing screams "Indiana Jones"; the magic seems absent, the writing restrained as if he were scoring one of Spielberg's historical dramas. It's like everyone involved forgot the tone of these films and what made them so enjoyable. The rich string and brass writing that played tribute to the golden age of film music is abandoned in favour of murky underscore that would feel more at home in Munich or War of the Worlds.

I know Williams can only score to the picture he's given (and yes, it's a reflection of the filmmaking on display) but it's hard to fathom he wrote this score only 3 years after Revenge of the Sith, one of his most bombastic. Certainly, sensibilities change but I really hope he can harken back to that classic style of writing if he ever scores a 5th film (and the same goes for its director -- though I won't hold my breath).