Mulan (2020) by Harry Gregson-Williams

5 hours ago, Bayesian said:

One day Disney will run out of animated properties to reboot in live action, right?

No, but they'll always suppress Song of the South, and their animated Pocahontas is also impossible to translate to live action in today's political climate. If a black Ariel gets people enraged... 

On 7/8/2019 at 10:35 AM, Fabulin said:

Menken is not 90

Goldsmith was a work horse. He stopped only seven months before he passed away.

• 4 months later...

Here's the official trailer for the new live action Disney remake, with music by Harry Gregson-Williams:

Niki Caro directs, with Liu Yifei as Mulan, Donnie Yen as Commander Tung and Jet Li as the Emperor... but no Eddie Murphy as Mushu, which is enough for me to lose interest in this.

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The lack of Eddie Murphy is a selling point if anything.

I loved Mushu when I was a kid, one of Disney greatest and funniest sidekicks ever.

To be honest, as I watched the movie in Portuguese, I wouldn't know about how is Murphy's voice on the character... But here he is dubbed by Mário Jorge, who is the "official voice" of Murphy and John Travolta in Brazil. 

He has done a great job substituting Murphy's voice as both Mushu and Donkey from the Shrek movies:

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

who is the "official voice" of Murphy and John Travolta in Brazil. 

I find this concept fascinating.  Professional actors in other nations that always do the dubbing for specific American actors.

That's certainly a thing. Now imagine for example Dumbledore, where the actor died and got recast, his whole image was revamped, but still dubbed by the same actor in the same way!

26 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I find this concept fascinating.  Professional actors in other nations that always do the dubbing for specific American actors.

Here it's pretty much that. For example, the same voice actor, Alexandre Moreno, is the voice of Adam Sandler, Jude Law, Ben Stiller and Jackie Earle Haley (on Watchmen and the 2010 Nightmare on Elm Street). Guilherme Briggs, one of the most famed Brazilian voice actors, is the voice of Denzel Washington, Seth Rogen, The Rock, Brendan Fraser, Ross from Friends, Cosmo from Fairly Odd Parents and Buzz from Toy Story. Mauro Ramos, another iconic voice here, does the voice for Gary Oldman, Brendan Gleeson, John Goodman and Pumpaa from The Lion King. Marco Ribeiro is the voice of Robert Downey Jr, Tom Hanks and also is an evangelical pastor.

13 minutes ago, Holko said:

That's certainly a thing. Now imagine for example Dumbledore, where the actor died and got recast, his whole image was revamped, but still dubbed by the same actor in the same way!

Dumbledore here was dubbed by veteran Lauro Fabiano (who was the voice of Peter Pan on the old 1950s Disney movie) from movies 1 to 7, until he misteriously got replaced by the aforementioned Mauro Ramos on Deathly Hallows 2. The Jude Law version of the character is done by Alexandre Moreno, who, as mentioned was his voice since Sherlock Holmes, I guess.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Here's the official trailer for the new live action Disney remake, with music by Harry Gregson-Williams:

Cool!

I really hope we get the good HGW on this one.

With perhaps some influence from JG's original epic score in there.

That even made its way into Ralph Wrecks the Internet, so that wouldn't be the most unrealistic thing to hope for...

I like most of HGW's "epic" scores (Sinbad, Kingdom of Heaven, the Narnia movies) and I was hoping he would return to this style of music instead of doing only Denzel Washington urban thrillers. And if he gets to return Jerry's themes, so great!

I’m still of the opinion that the Narnia scores are fantastic, and I hope we get something of that quality for these films. HGW has had a handful of good scores since his heyday (Zookeeper’s Wife and the Martian are quite nice, and Disneynature’s Penguins was a delight) but he’s also put out about 6 Equalizers. 

On 12/5/2019 at 4:38 PM, Edmilson said:

Here it's pretty much that. For example, the same voice actor, Alexandre Moreno, is the voice of Adam Sandler, Jude Law, Ben Stiller and Jackie Earle Haley (on Watchmen and the 2010 Nightmare on Elm Street). Guilherme Briggs, one of the most famed Brazilian voice actors, is the voice of Denzel Washington, Seth Rogen, The Rock, Brendan Fraser, Ross from Friends, Cosmo from Fairly Odd Parents and Buzz from Toy Story. Mauro Ramos, another iconic voice here, does the voice for Gary Oldman, Brendan Gleeson, John Goodman and Pumpaa from The Lion King. Marco Ribeiro is the voice of Robert Downey Jr, Tom Hanks and also is an evangelical pastor.

Dumbledore here was dubbed by veteran Lauro Fabiano (who was the voice of Peter Pan on the old 1950s Disney movie) from movies 1 to 7, until he misteriously got replaced by the aforementioned Mauro Ramos on Deathly Hallows 2.

Our first Dumbledor voice actor died after the fourth film.

Don't forget to mention the problem, when two actors that have the same voice actor star in the same movie. In this case the more important role in the movie or the more famous actor gets the standard voice and the other one gets another voice.

Johnny Depp and Christian Bale have the same voice actor in Germany - in Public Enemies Depp got the standard voice.

Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone share a voice actor too - in Escape Plan they gave it to Stallone, which was the wrong decision to be honest.

And now imagine a movie starring Gary Oldman, Ralph Fiennes and Kevin Bacon - that would be a big problem here.

16 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Our first Dumbledor voice actor died after the fourth film.

Don't forget to mention the problem, when two actors that have the same voice actor star in the same movie. In this case the more important role in the movie or the more famous actor gets the standard voice and the other one gets another voice.

Johnny Depp and Christian Bale have the same voice actor in Germany - in Public Enemies Depp got the standard voice.

Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone share a voice actor too - in Escape Plan they gave it to Stallone, which was the wrong decision to be honest.

And now imagine a movie starring Gary Oldman, Ralph Fiennes and Kevin Bacon - that would be a big problem here.

Here this is usual too. For example, Mark Ruffalo and Don Cheadle here have the same voice actor, Jorge Lucas. So, on the first Avengers movie, he did Mark Ruffalo's Hulk, although he had been Cheadle's War Machine on Iron Man 2 before. However, both Cheadle and Ruffalo were on Age of Ultron, which created a problem. So, Jorge Lucas was reverted back to War Machine, while Ruffalo went to Alexandre Moreno, continuing with the character for all the further movies (Ragnarok, Infinity War and Endgame).

To avoid this situation, these days there is just one voice actor for all of these mega franchises, MCU, DCU, etc, no matter how big or small the role is.

19 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

That's why subtitles are so much better!

I don't disagree with that, lol.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

I used to really dislike HGW back in the day. Anonymous, directionless textures that sounded "kinda" like Zimmer, but without the soul and themes. Stuff like THE REPLACEMENT KILLERS and SMILLA'S SENSE OF SNOW etc.

But in recent years, I've come to appreciate him more. KINGDOM OF HEAVEN is marvelous, and I dig THE MARTIAN and CHRONICLES OF NARNIA too, among others. I've even come to reappraise SMILLA, which I disliked so much in my youth.

That’s extremely early Harry. Once he branched out on his own and teamed up with Tony Scott he developed his own sound. 

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

That’s extremely early Harry. Once he branched out on his own and teamed up with Tony Scott he developed his own sound. 

He did, yes. I'm old and have experienced these composers' evolution in real-time over the years. It's been very fascinating.

• 3 months later...
27 minutes ago, Fargo said:

How much did the Chinese government/Disney pay them to say positive things about the movie?

The words “Pete Hammond” and “quote whore” will always spring to my mind when faced with the specter of movie hype for sale.

The first two cues sound very Narnia-esque. I hope it's as good as Prince Caspian (not exactly a fan of the first score).

I just wonder what a Horner motif from The New World (also used in Avatar) is doing at 0:15 on the video. Maybe Avatar was on the temp?

Wow, you know your Horner ! 

Harry Gregson-Williams hasn't been on my radar for a few years, I'm interested to see what he comes up with. That little snippet is nice enough. 

That idea is hardly Horner's to claim. It's a common modern film music trope, ripped from Pärt:

And it's not like Gregson Williams hasn't played with that kind of thing before...

On 3/11/2020 at 10:27 AM, KK said:

Snippet of the score:

It’s a little promising, we’re not just getting a textured thriller at least, which is all we’ve had from HGW for the most part the last 5 years. 

21 hours ago, KK said:

That idea is hardly Horner's to claim. It's a common modern film music trope, ripped from Pärt:

I knew this idea because The New World is one of my most listened scores ever, specially the tracks with the love theme (Forbidden Corn, Apparition in the Fields, Pocahontas and Smith, All is Lost, Rolfe Proposes, etc.). Then, I listened to Avatar again a few weeks ago, and I was pleased to see that Horner brought it again. I guess it's his way of picturing a romantic, poetic view from the forest (of Virginia and then of Pandora) and the people that inhabit it.

I would like to see if more scores used that, since I liked it. Mostly because I associate it with one of my favorite scores ever.