Mulan (2020) by Harry Gregson-Williams

8 hours ago, publicist said:

You're lucky then, because Horner never let a good idea go to waste in just two or three scores: he rode it hard as long as he could.

He sure loved that idea from a movie set on a forest and about indigenous people.

I'm just grateful they still bother releasing these things at all, digital or physical. Especially now that 29-minute albums are a thing of the past (for better and worse, depending on the score).

2 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Has anyone ever been starving for a Harry Gregson-Williams score? Other than Sinbad, of course (which I've never heard but I know it has its fans).

Starving is a big word.

But when he's good, he's GOOD.

Mulan gives him the best possible canvas.

The opportunity is for sure there.

Asian influence has been known to bring out the best in Media Ventures composers before.

Klaus Badelt's "The Promise", for example.

And "The Last Samurai" plus part of the third Pirates of the Caribbean.

So I'm hoping for something good...

2 minutes ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Asian influence has been known to bring out the best in Media Ventures composers before.

Klaus Badelt's "The Promise", for example.

And "The Last Samurai" plus part of the third Pirates of the Caribbean.

So I'm hoping for something good...

Don't forget Kung Fu Panda, by HZ, Powell and Lorne Balfe. I'm not exactly a fan, but it has some great moments in it.

And yeah, I agree that Mulan is a great opportunity for HGW. His best scores were from fantasy adventure movies like this: Sinbad, Narnia 1 and 2, Prince of Persia...

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Don't forget Kung Fu Panda, by HZ, Powell and Lorne Balfe. I'm not exactly a fan, but it has some great moments in it.

True!

I never really listen to it, but indeed I remember there's some pretty good stuff in there.

Thanks for reminding me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I feel bad about Mulan's director Niki Caro. She pulled an effort to make a visually stunning movie that needed to be watched on the big screen... Only for people to rent it and watch on their own TV sets.

On the positive side, at least we'll get HGW's score released. 

Looks like you get to "keep" the film for $30. But still, I doubt you can watch if you ever cancel your Disney+ subscription. And we can assume it'll be included with basic Disney+ membership after a while anyway.

26 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I feel bad about Mulan's director Niki Caro. She pulled an effort to make a visually stunning movie that needed to be watched on the big screen... Only for people to rent it and watch on their own TV sets.

Well, TV screen nowadays are preeetty big.

I don't like the idea of additional-pay streaming content on Disney+!  Of course, on Disney+, every red cent goes into their pockets, so it makes financial sense, despite the fact that I'd personally keep pay-per-view stuff separate from a streaming service I already subscribe to.

This looks too old for our kid anyway, so by the time we're ready to watch it, I'm sure it'll be free-to-stream on there.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I'm a big fan of watching movies in the theater, it's an experience that no smartTV can replicate.

Well, I think we all are, but there's a global pandemic on...

If they did this for the next MCU movie, we'd probably pay it - assuming you get to "keep" access to it.  $30 is much less than what we'd have paid to see it in theaters.

9 minutes ago, mstrox said:

$30 is much less than what we'd have paid to see it in theaters.

$30?! What the..?! :o

Is that per ticket, or for the whole family? Does that include the hot dogs, the nachos, the popcorn (extra butter, please :)), the Milk Duds, and the Mountain Dew?

9 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Well, I think we all are, but there's a global pandemic on...

If they did this for the next MCU movie, we'd probably pay it - assuming you get to "keep" access to it.  $30 is much less than what we'd have paid to see it in theaters.

I read somewhere that this situation with Mulan is an exception due to the pandemic, and after things get back to normal Disney will continue to prioritize theatrical.

Black Widow is still scheduled for a November 6 release on theaters. Let's hope the situation improves until then.

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I read somewhere that this situation with Mulan is an exception due to the pandemic, and after things get back to normal Disney will continue to prioritize theatrical.

Disney will prioritize what's making most profit. Cinema is dying.  :heartbreak:

Well, I won't be going to theaters in November, even if the US somehow controls cases a hair better than it is now (it won't - schools are opening).

10 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

$30?! What the..?! :o

Is that per ticket, or for the whole family? Does that include the hot dogs, the nachos, the popcorn (extra butter, please :)), the Milk Duds, and the Mountain Dew?

If it were just two adults, we'd already cross the $30 line here.  If we add a kid, more, and if we add snacks, more.

6 minutes ago, lemoncurd said:

Disney will prioritize what's making most profit. Cinema is dying.  :heartbreak:

That depends. Movies such as Endgame, Lion King, Infinity War, Black Panther, the three Star Wars Sequels, etc., made a lot of money for them, much more than what they'd earn just with streaming and pay per view. And it's not just the big movies, stuff like Joker, Parasite, 1917, Sonic, etc., also were huge hits on theatrical.

These days, I'd say cinemas are for the movies that can turn themselves into a must see event. If you can't be an event, people won't get out of their houses and pay $50 bucks to watch your film. 

Disney may experiment with Mulan, but I'd say they're going to earn with this experience much less than what they'd do in a normal situation.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Seriously, stop believing that. 

"If we do this this this and this everything is back to normal". 

There won't be a normal, there will be a new normal you'll only get under certain conditions. 

Movie theaters will die. 

I don't buy that. Theatrical last year was as profitable as ever, and going to the movies is still a popular activity. It's a big industry that provides jobs for countless people around the world that won't simply "die" because someone said so.

When things get safer, whether it's due to a vaccine or a new cure, people will return to the cinemas. 

Cinema will bounce back. These things are cyclical. But it will continue to take a beating for the immediate future.

On 8/10/2020 at 3:12 PM, Edmilson said:

Just watch the 1998 cartoon scored by Goldsmith

Always a good idea.

One of my favourite animated films.

With an absolutely stellar score.

Gregson-Williams sure has his work cut out for him!

And I hope he throws in at least one nod to the original.

I don't expect anything on the level of Goldsmith.

But then... Klaus Badelt on The Promise did pretty darn well too!

So this might yet be worthwhile.

On 8/10/2020 at 3:12 PM, Edmilson said:

this train wreck.

Have you seen it?

I'm hoping for something at least reasonably decent and enjoyable.

This is one film that I do believe lends itself well to a live-action approach.

(Together with Atlantis and Treasure Planet; incidentally my three favourite Disney animations. ;) )