Is David Bowie's music overrated?

Is David Bowie's music overrated?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Is David Bowie's music overrated?

I dislike him intensely.  Literally. His whole look, style, and singing voice are off putting to me. The only thing I dread at Christmas is the totally mismatched Crosby Bowie Duet. My husband disagrees with me as does another friend. They also like another popular Dave, Dave mathews uggh.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Who's the jerk who voted "Yes"?

Me. I can name dozens of voices I would rather listen too. 

Just now, Richard said:

Bowie has never sung a Christmas duet with David Crosby.

No one said he did. He did sing with Bing, who incidentally had a superior voice.

4 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Me. I can name dozens of voices I would rather listen too. 

Thank you, Joe. I admire you for saying so, although I think that you should at least try to listen to in appreciation of, even if you do not like, Bowie's songs. His career is the history of modern popular music. The man was - is - an absolute giant.

Ps, don't start with TIN MACHINE; you'll be slitting your wrists, before track three!

I was never that mesmerized by Bowie but I don’t think he’s overrated. Like all artists he has his good stuff and bad stuff. I fall somewhere in the middle.

9 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I dislike him intensely.  Literally. His whole look, style, and singing voice are off putting to me. The only thing I dread at Christmas is the totally mismatched Crosby Bowie Duet. My husband disagrees with me as does another friend. They also like another popular Dave, Dave mathews uggh.

What about his original music?

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

What about his music?

You should assume it goes hand and hand with his voice.

I once jumped from the car moving at 70mph because China giirl was playing and David wouldn't change the station.😜

Richard I hate the music group U2. I have since I first heard them. 

#transparency 

When BLACKSTAR was released, my local HMV couldn't play it, because of the swearing, so a canny employee created a "clean" version of it, by making the swearing backwards.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

Richard I hate the music group U2. I have since I first heard them. 

Again, I thank you for your honesty. U2 has gone off the boil in the last few years, but their early stuff (BOY, OCTOBER, and their angry "slap in the face" masterpiece, WAR) is really something.

Ps, if you do want to check them out, don't start with ZOOROPA: you'll be scratching your head in bewilderment after track three!

Blackstar is a great and very personal album for me, as it was released the day before my kid was born prematurely and sent to the NICU for over a month (and two days before Bowie passed away).  So I was grieving for all sorts of reasons at the time, and didn’t let myself listen to the album until my kid got home from the hospital.  When I did listen, it offered tremendous emotional release for me, and helped me get through the next few months before we got rid of all the hospital machines from our house.  

It coulda been a meh like the previous The Next Day, but Bowie saved one of his best for last.  I have to say that some songs aren’t all-time classic Bowie songs - I’d never sit down and listen to “Girl Loves Me” in isolation, probably - but the album has a great sound and tremendous flow and ends with a lovely catharsis in “I Can’t Give Everything Away.”

Bowie is amazing.  He had his less amazing periods (the 1990s mainly), but he constantly adjusted his sound to try new things and play around with new trends, so he never became a stagnant old dinosaur like McCartney or The Rolling Stones. Verdict: not overrated.

Every era and nearly every album has great songs, if not always great albums.

I’ve long been in love with this underrated gem from the 2002 album Heathen called “I Would Be Your Slave.”

21 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Hating U2 is fine. Hating Bono is required!

I like their earlier works. 

22 hours ago, El Jefe said:

Like all artists he has his good stuff and bad stuff

40 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

U2 isn't a person.

U2 is bono no one knows who the others are. They all might as well be John Oates.