Collectors, what condition of CD will you allow into your collection?

Bayesian

What kind of used CD will you generally accept for your collection?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Club edition (no barcode; disc and sleeve marked as a club edition)

• Acceptable
    • Not acceptable
  2. 2. Promo or cut-out (with clean hole punch thru barcode)

• Acceptable
    • Not acceptable
  3. 3. Promo or cut-out (with drill hole through sleeve and case)

• Acceptable
    • Not acceptable
  4. 4. Not in its original 1980s jewel case

• Acceptable
    • Not acceptable
  5. 5. Sun-faded or bleached-out sleeve spine

• Acceptable
    • Not acceptable
  6. 6. White sleeve yellowed from age

• Acceptable
    • Not acceptable
  7. 7. Hype stickers missing from jewel case

• Acceptable
    • Not acceptable
  8. 8. Booklet contains minor handwriting from previous owner

• Acceptable
    • Not acceptable
  9. 9. Water-damaged booklet or inlay card

• Acceptable
    • Not acceptable
  10. 10. Disc plays fine but is visibly scuffed or scratched

• Acceptable
    • Not acceptable
  11. 11. Inlay card shows fine print/legalese for a different region than you live in

• Acceptable
    • Not acceptable

My CD collection increasingly consists of discs I buy on the second hand market. I try to get the best deal I can on amazon or eBay or Discogs, but that sometimes means I receive discs that don’t quite hit the mark for collectibility.

This got me wondering what other collectors’ red lines are for allowing a disc into their collections. For me, the only unacceptable conditions are club editions, sun and water damage, and handwriting.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Only nerds buy CD’s anymore. You’re not a nerd...are you? 

When it comes to this one thing, I am a nerd! Well, this and data.

6 minutes ago, John said:

Vinyl’s where the real money’s at!

Where the money’s at now. Which means it’ll be CDs’ time in the limelight in 15 years or so. CDs are where the future is (and they haven’t even fully died out yet!)

For top tier stuff like albums from my favorite bands or composers, I generally prefer new or fairly well taken care of used copies. For everything else, I don’t really care at all. I have ripped and stickered library copies. I’ve bought used discs where the digipck was thrown away and the seller printed out a new cover on their inkjet to go with the legit CDs. I got my copy of The World is Not Enough from a used CD store for $0.99 because it didn’t have a booklet. As long as the CD is rippable, I’m happy.

There’s very few discs I buy on the second hand market but as long as it’s in good shape I’m ok with it. I don’t mind slight scratches or a home drilled through the case or barcode.

• 2 weeks later...

When I still had a physical collection, I went through and replaced all old jewel cases. I also put the Star Wars original 2CD OST, The Lost World and Episode One Ultimate Recording in slimmer or actual jewel cases.

It really depends on which title it is, but generally the rarer and more sought after, the more forgiving I tend to be of these issues. Price is also a factor.

I bought the RCA/SLC issue of SpaceCamp in excellent condition but without its obi strip, because it was something I had missed out on and really wanted. I also traded for a copy of the 1st Silva issue of Jane Eyre that has some very minor markings on the printed side of the CD, again because it represented a gap in my collection. Would I prefer absolute mint copies? Of course I would, but I'm not going to split hairs about it.

Regarding jewel cases, stickers and so on, I generally replace jewel cases with nice new unscratched ones, scratched cases are a pet peeve of mine. I'm not bothered by marketing blurbs and whether the cases are period authentic. At any rate, 30% of my CDs arrive in the mail with cracks or broken hinges so replacement is a often a necessity.