Norah O'Donnell Debuts on CBS Evening News Tonight. What will the theme music be like?

As many of you probably know, Norah O'Donnell is making her debut tonight on the CBS Evening News.  And from what I read, the current theme music package that was composed by Joel Beckerman back in 2016 during the late Scott Pelley era and was carried over into Jeff Glor's tenure will be retired.  I read somewhere that the new music is a slow orchestral composition, and I was wondering about these possibilities.  One thing, they may revive the 2006-2011 theme music package (composed by James Horner) from the Katie Couric era.  Another possibility is they hired another film score composer to write the new theme because the producers wanted a more cinematic sound again.

I wouldn't be surprised if they revived the James Horner theme music package because when Scott Pelley took over the anchor desk in 2011, they revived the 1987-1991 music package after retiring Horner's music.  And it wouldn't be another five years until there's a completely-new music package.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The one Zimmer did for ABC World News Tonight is so bad.  They should've stuck with the classic Kalehoff.

CBS has never had especially effective musical themes.  Not even Horner's.

16 minutes ago, Dieter Stark said:

Why does CBS change their news jingles so often?

That i'd like to know.  The longest running theme music package CBS used for their evening news broadcasts lasted from 1991 to 2006.

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

CBS has never had especially effective musical themes.  Not even Horner's.

The only instance I can think of is the melody from the 1987-1991 theme being carried over into the 1991-2006 theme.  Other than that, the music packages that CBS has used are completely different compositions.  Only NBC and ABC have been using effective musical themes.  ABC updated the classic Kalehoff theme several times, and then Hans Zimmer came along and wrote a completely new piece which sounds more like a movie score cue.  NBC has been using "The Mission" to this day, though it was slightly rearranged in 2004 when Tom Brokaw retired.

It's a shame the Today show has slowly shed almost of its Williams music over the decades, but it also makes sense as the show has slowly shed any connection to being a serious news show over the decades.  The music he originally wrote for Today doesn't fit the lighter chat show tone it has now.