PLANET OF THE APES - Film Series 5CD box set from La-La Land Records (2019)

Jay

Just now, mstrox said:

Happy for those of you who want this, and happy for my wallet.  We all win!

Ditto!

Wow, I have to say three things:

1. The samples of the first score make me want to spend 1000 bucks for this release! I have been waiting for that! OMG, the sound is so good!!!
  2. La-La Land collaborating with Varèse?! WTF?! That is a very good sign!
  3. Downside for me is that I have to buy all five scores and I'm not even particularly interested in the third score by Goldsmith. But as I said, the sound quality of the first one is worth it!

It's interesting that 8 of the 10 tracks on the original soundtrack LP were different than their film versions all along

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Not if it was never recorded!

Do we know it wasn't? It was a little harder to drop parts of a score without recording it back then. (Besides just scratching it out during the writing stage obv)

Too bad they couldn't find the full score for "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" in stereo! Means this release might not be definitive...

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Too bad they couldn't find the full score for "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" in stereo! Means this release might not be definitive...

Are you a big Tom Scott fan?

11 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Wow, I have to say three things:

1. The samples of the first score make me want to spend 1000 bucks for this release! I have been waiting for that! OMG, the sound is so good!!!
  2. La-La Land collaborating with Varèse?! WTF?! That is a very good sign!
  3. Downside for me is that I have to buy all five scores and I'm not even particularly interested in the third score by Goldsmith. But as I said, the sound quality of the first one is worth it!

You're alive!

I really don't get the fascination with the first score. Yeah, it's Jerry and it's a famous movie, but it's really not a very good listen when removed from the movie.

15 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You're alive!

Lecture period is over... and so is drinking period.

Hopefully, we get the digital version of the cover of the first score soon, it looks really awesome! Much better than the 1997 cover!

That is certainly the best track, I agree with that

I remember being shocked when I learned Jerry hadn't included it on his original LP album at the time of the film's release.  Dunno what led to that decision...

POTA has some great weird percussion effects ('The Search', 'The Forbidden Zone') that are still pretty cool. Almost doped. But the more conventional orchestral parts ('Crash Landing') tend to get on my nerves.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

That is certainly the best track, I agree with that

I remember being shocked when I learned Jerry hadn't included it on his original LP album at the time of the film's release.  Dunno what led to that decision...

Wait until you hear No Escape without the eardrum piercing effect of the old release. Still, excluding The Hunt from any presentation of this score is madness.

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

POTA has some great weird percussion effects ('The Search', 'The Forbidden Zone') that are still pretty cool. Almost doped. But the more conventional orchestral parts ('Crash Landing') tend to get on my nerves.

I like the entire score, except Crash Landing, which I find quite boring.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

PLANET OF THE APES is one of Jerry's best scores, and one of my favorite Jerry scores.  I am so, SO HAPPY that after 51 years we are finally getting a definitive version of this masterpiece.

Co-sign and orderrred! (even though the Tuesday announcement email hit my inbox about 8 hours late just now, it took me 60 seconds to confirmation and I haven't even checked the samples yet)

I'm not surprised some JW fans will be turned off by this - whatever combinations of Goldsmith / Rosenman / modernism / atonality / weird 70s. There's very little to no sentimentality here, but it is gorgeous music. Definitely a holy grail.

48 minutes ago, Richard said:

That's the idea. It's not wallpaper, like so much film music, these days. It actually plays a major role in the film, representing both simian society, and Taylor's rage at things that he just doesn't understand.

On disc, yes it is a difficult listen, but (and again) it's a score that is designed to be sat down and listened to. Repeated listenings reveal a monumentally competent, and complex piece of work. It's Jerry's masterpiece.

tumblr_nfdkdqzHAB1qgqr0ho1_400.gif

46 minutes ago, The Five Tones said:

Co-sign and orderrred! (even though the Tuesday announcement email hit my inbox about 8 hours late just now, it took me 60 seconds to confirmation and I haven't even checked the samples yet)

I'm not surprised some JW fans will be turned off by this - whatever combinations of Goldsmith / Rosenman / modernism / atonality / weird 70s. There's very little to no sentimentality here, but it is gorgeous music. Definitely a holy grail.

« (...) modernism / atonality / weird 70s »

Great description of these scores!

:whistle:

Don't know if I should buy this.

The only score I don't have is the second one.

And for the rest, I even didn't finish listening for once.

Not a very interest score to me.

Excellent news! I also have all the scores but the second one, but the two Goldsmith scores are great in their very different ways, and I'm sure the first one will sound much better with a modern remaster.

Good to see 20CF projects are still filtering through after Disney's acquisition. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Minority Report later this year. 

Seems like this set must have been in the pipeline for many years, so it's good that Disney honoured it.

A great sign that labels are able to collaborate as well, very generous on Varese's part.

5 hours ago, The Five Tones said:

Anything modern or avant garde is Kryptonite to a JW fanatic.