PLANET OF THE APES - Film Series 5CD box set from La-La Land Records (2019)

Jay

4 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Haha like this?

and how do John Williams fanatics do with Close Encounters of the Third Kind? ;)

Yavar

1-2 scores against dozens that defined much of Goldsmith's career.

9 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

How did they have sequels to the second movie? I remember it ends with the planet being destroyed and the narrator from The Haunted Mansion.

“During the events of the preceding film Beneath the Planet of the Apes, occurring off-screen, Cornelius (Roddy McDowall) and Zira(Kim Hunter) escaped Earth prior to its destruction when they accompanied their fellow chimpanzee Dr. Milo (Sal Mineo) in testing the salvaged and repaired spaceship originally used by Taylor. The shock wave of Earth's destruction sends the ship through a time warp that brings the apes to 1973 Earth, splashing down off the Pacific coast of the United States.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_from_the_Planet_of_the_Apes

9 minutes ago, The Original said:

1-2 scores against dozens that defined much of Goldsmith's career.

Still more than enough to disprove your claim that “anything modern or avant garde is kryptonite” to Williams fans. :) Hell, even Star Wars of all things has its share of modern avant garde music — just listen to the stuff he wrote for the Sand People!

And despite Goldsmith being like 3-4 times as prolific as Williams, I think you might be hard pressed to actually list “dozens” of avant garde scores that defined Goldsmith’s career. How many dozens can you list? Two?

And the avant garde stuff in Images is weirder than all of them. :)

Yavar

22 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

“During the events of the preceding film Beneath the Planet of the Apes, occurring off-screen, Cornelius (Roddy McDowall) and Zira(Kim Hunter) escaped Earth prior to its destruction when they accompanied their fellow chimpanzee Dr. Milo (Sal Mineo) in testing the salvaged and repaired spaceship originally used by Taylor. The shock wave of Earth's destruction sends the ship through a time warp that brings the apes to 1973 Earth, splashing down off the Pacific coast of the United States.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_from_the_Planet_of_the_Apes

Still more than enough to disprove your claim that “anything modern or avant garde is kryptonite” to Williams fans. :) Hell, even Star Wars of all things has its share of modern avant garde music — just listen to the stuff he wrote for the Sand People!

And despite Goldsmith being like 3-4 times as prolific as Williams, I think you might be hard pressed to actually list “dozens” of avant garde scores that defined Goldsmith’s career. How many dozens can you list? Two?

And the avant garde stuff in Images is weirder than all of them. :)

Yavar

If people want to really blow up one figure here or one word there, I would argue that they’re missing the forest for the trees. There's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right.

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Haha like this?

and how do John Williams fanatics do with Close Encounters of the Third Kind? ;)

Yavar

@Yavar Moradi, please see my #1 entry on the "your top 5 JW scores" thread.

Also, if all these off screen events happen during BTPOTA, then David Watson salvages Taylor's ship :lol:

Jeff Bond says:

So here's one of my favorite projects to work on, ever--and it's only the first of this year from this label! Jerry Goldsmith's brilliant Planet of the Apes, FINALLY done correctly with every overlay and echoplex where it should be thanks to Neil S. Bulk and Mike Matessino, and sounding stellar--along with all the other original Ape movie scores, complete and in fantastic sound (and lovingly designed by Dan Goldwasser). Michael V Gerhard mentioned wanting to do this something like 10 years ago if not longer, and now it's finally here, so get your stinking paws on it! Not only is it a fantastic honor to work on La-La Land Record's 500th release, but my very first liner notes gig was for the 1997 Varese release of Planet of the Apes--so this marks an anniversary for me too...

I have so many editions of the original!

This is the last one you'll ever need...

This edition is comprehensive, but I have always found the sound quality to be wanting. I thought that perhaps the 1968 Masters were showing their age. Is the LaLa Land edition substantially improved ?

Yes. The Varese release was also missing overlays and had other issues.

https://www.facebook.com/jeffc.bond/posts/10217390496887864

2 hours ago, The Original said:

If people want to really blow up one figure here or one word there, I would argue that they’re missing the forest for the trees. There's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right.

So...you're being "morally right" in your claim that "Anything modern or avant garde is Kryptonite to a JW fanatic."

And I'm "missing the forest for the trees" and wasting time on semantics by pointing out that you are obviously wrong in your blanket statement? Ooooookay then. :lol:

It amazes me sometimes how film music fans, whether they like Williams or not, act like is music is all easy tunes. He used modern writing *all the time* in his film scores, even many of the obviously "populist" ones like even Star Wars (the Sand People music, as I mentioned -- it's practically out of Planet of the Apes!) or Indiana Jones (*how* long in Raiders of the Lost Ark before we hear an actual theme, in the score?)

56 minutes ago, Richard said:

@Yavar Moradi, please see my #1 entry on the "your top 5 JW scores" thread.

My point exactly -- many Williams fans clearly have no problem with modernist writing if they rate Close Encounters highly, as you do.

Yavar

19 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

My point exactly -- many Williams fans clearly have no problem with modernist writing if they rate Close Encounters highly, as you do.

I like the first half of that score much more than the second half.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes!  A technique Jerry used to great effect in Planet of the Apes, ALIEN, Patton, and other scores

You should rather enumerate the scores that do NOT feature an echoplex.:P

I like it because it's got both the first and second half - an evolution, an arc, not just stuck in one style. Too much of the first half would be too much.

As an adjective, it means "favoring or introducing experimental or unusual ideas."

I'd say that generally applies to the series' music, particularly to the hugely groundbreaking first score.

Yavar

The series was undoubtedly of declining quality as it wore on (and into a TV spinoff) but it the idea of a series arc, time-travel prequels, near future dystopias, Twilight Zone-twists, retroactive continuity, class/race allegory, etc. all in one package was groundbreaking. All of those things seem commonplace now in the glut of science fiction actioners we have, but Apes was unique at the time. Even Dr. Who wasn't that sophisticated in its storytelling at the time. As great as some of the rebooted films are (let's not talk about Tim Burton), they are still in the shadow of the originals... dated and increasingly low budget as they may seem.

I'm also curious to know how many other feature films have a score featuring a 12-tone theme (the first film). Whether or not it's your cup of tea, that was also radical. (There are earlier and later examples, including David Shire's dystopic funk for the original Taking of Pelham One Two Three.

On 7/17/2019 at 12:56 AM, publicist said:

POTA has some great weird percussion effects ('The Search', 'The Forbidden Zone') that are still pretty cool. Almost doped. But the more conventional orchestral parts ('Crash Landing') tend to get on my nerves.

I agree. The percussion is really jarring but in good way. I think the OST and film version are different recordings. 

From the FSM thread

1. These titles will most likely never be sold individually so forget about notion (and if they do it won't be for a very very long time). 
2. The sound is incredible on these 5 scores. Mike and Neil did an amazing job remastering and fixing past mistakes/overlooked issues!
3. I posted all the covers on our facebook page

Just waiting on the boxes to come in so we can package everything up. Hopefully we will start shipping before end of the month. Fingers crossed

MV

Here are said individual covers:

Spoiler

Image may contain: 1 person, possible text that says 'MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE REMASTERED EDITION PLANET OFTHE APES Music Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDSMITH'

Image may contain: 2 people, possible text that says 'MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE REMASTERED EDITION BENEATH HUoIe 'all THE YOR PLANET OTHE APES Music Composed and Conducted by LEONARD ROSENMAN'

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing, possible text that says 'MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE REMASTERED EDITION ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET THE APES Music MousicComposedandConductedbyJERRY JERRY GOLDSMITH'

Image may contain: possible text that says 'MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE REMASTERED EDITION EONQUEST OFTHE OF PLANET OFTHE APE5 MosiCcomposedandCondutebyTOMSCOTT'

No photo description available.

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10157788898653755?__xts__[0]=68.ARAk2zTgXG9ygOfON1kBHA5WDITSh6jrtdgH9weqUTFM__s4UPvW-k15kLAweBwAitZmun1Y08iDOWMDYCM29DkZcS-KGHBbXIjKJqc7FOgBZ6VNVy4BN01tn11NLCdFqn96jqEhygXjpxjcwCwyeYyMHMXkTO3u4Wc4eZ_5Mk9UHKElOAzZKFNJs-meX1lzllH4pk06jsMS3RwCMXSBq3yaZQalrjcO8fn4INh5nVpsEeHXBdnxPuYGovIFgSocXVbIiADUpGVtfFOgPar6KjPuD0CuvkV15t7C_i5np8dN3ydzEVOb_lpyoMhX54_6Oz21Ys2EwuEt1sxUOA&__tn__=-R

Dan Goldwasser did good work on this set, obviously. But user steffromuk over at the FSM board has, for me, a super cool and more stylistically consistent cover set:

I guess it's a good time to repost my comprehensive cover series. The last one being a wish

Spoiler

Planet of the Apes

42654634210_100bc2d89f_h.jpg

Beneath the Planet of the Apes

29548141477_ea6f3cf965_h.jpg

Escape from the Planet of the Apes

44523021221_4522e19fbe_h.jpg

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes

44526016581_d0740503d0_h.jpg

Battle for the Planet of the Apes

42727876390_1ebd65f3e3_h.jpg

Planet of the Apes - TV Series

29601322457_3943388cc9_h.jpg

Return to the Planet of the Apes (Animated TV Series)

42734994830_a6ff1d9db3_h.jpg

Pretty damn cool, IMO!

Yavar

I understand they won't sell a lot of copies of some of these without packaging them all together. But it's a shame cause I would like to buy the first one if I had the option. Buying the whole box would be a massive stretch for me, just isn't gonna happen.

It looks like a great set though, and I know the original 5 films have a very devoted cult following, so I'm kinda excited for this on behalf of those people, haha.

On 7/16/2019 at 8:59 PM, Jay said:

SCORE PRESENTATION
1. Main Title (Film Version) 2:18
2. Crash Landing 6:53
3. The Searchers 2:30
4. The Search 4:59
5. The Clothes Snatchers (Film Version) 3:13
6. The Hunt 5:13
7. A New Mate 1:08
8. The Revelation (Film Version) 3:22
9. No Escape (Film Version) 5:42

10. The Trial 1:49
11. New Identity (Film Version) 2:28
12. A Bid For Freedom (Film Version) 2:40
13. The Forbidden Zone (Film Version) 3:27

14. The Intruders 1:12
15. The Cave (Film Version) 1:23
16. The Revelation – Finale 3:22

ORIGINAL 1968 SOUNDTRACK ALBUM
17. Main Title 2:14
18. The Revelation 1:38
19. The Clothes Snatchers 2:40

20. New Identity 2:06
21. The Forbidden Zone 2:54

22. The Search 4:58
23. The Cave 1:21
24. A Bid For Freedom 1:23
25. A New Mate 1:08
26. No Escape 5:18

Can someone tell me what the difference is between all these film/album versions? Are most of them just unedited/edited alternatives or different takes or whatever?

The original album never included overlays and echoplex that the film itself did use, and the albums versions were just carried over to the subsequent Intrada and Varese CDs rather than anyone grabbing those overlays..... until now!

On 7/17/2019 at 11:06 AM, Jay said:

Jeff Bond says:

So here's one of my favorite projects to work on, ever--and it's only the first of this year from this label! Jerry Goldsmith's brilliant Planet of the Apes, FINALLY done correctly with every overlay and echoplex where it should be thanks to Neil S. Bulk and Mike Matessino, and sounding stellar--along with all the other original Ape movie scores, complete and in fantastic sound (and lovingly designed by Dan Goldwasser). Michael V Gerhard mentioned wanting to do this something like 10 years ago if not longer, and now it's finally here, so get your stinking paws on it! Not only is it a fantastic honor to work on La-La Land Record's 500th release, but my very first liner notes gig was for the 1997 Varese release of Planet of the Apes--so this marks an anniversary for me too...

I have so many editions of the original!

This is the last one you'll ever need...

This edition is comprehensive, but I have always found the sound quality to be wanting. I thought that perhaps the 1968 Masters were showing their age. Is the LaLa Land edition substantially improved ?

Yes. The Varese release was also missing overlays and had other issues.

https://www.facebook.com/jeffc.bond/posts/10217390496887864

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

The original album never included overlays and echoplex that the film itself did use, and the albums versions were just carried over to the subsequent Intrada and Varese CDs rather than anyone grabbing those overlays..... until now!

And as I understand it the album also used different takes for some cues. So this is the first time all of the performance actually heard in the film is being released.

Yavar

6 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

So we need to wait to see what exactly the differences are...

I mean, you can watch the movie to hear the difference, or listen to the samples on LLL's site...

13 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

So we need to wait to see what exactly the differences are...

And jerrygoldsmithonline should really update their news ticker. They're so slow.

JG hasn't been online for years...