PLANET OF THE APES - Film Series 5CD box set from La-La Land Records (2019)

Jay

Isn't customs about protecting the local businesses at its core? Tell them you'll pay it when Michael Mateßino produces his own competing PotA boxset!

22 minutes ago, Holko said:

Isn't customs about protecting the local businesses at its core? Tell them you'll pay it when Michael Mateßino produces his own competing PotA boxset!

Governments and chambers of commerce don't want you buying from overseas period. They don't give a toss if you're not interested in local content, they just want your money to stay local.

Having no connection to the franchise beside having seen and liking the first one once, I'm inexplicably drawn to return the samples and I'm weirdly liking them the more I listen to them.

1 hour ago, Thekthithm said:

How is it anyone hasn't seen the sequels??

Beneath the Planet of the Apes is pretty cool until the climax gets all weird, but I'd prefer thinking of Planet of the Apes as a standalone movie, like Richard says.

Just now, Nick Parker said:

Beneath the Planet of the Apes is pretty cool until the climax gets all weird, but I'd prefer thinking of Planet of the Apes as a standalone movie, like Richard says.

I used to watch all five as a kid a lot. Regardless of diminishing quality, it's still a series of movies to me, rather than some lonely single flick.

I really wonder how shocking and disturbing that cliffhangeresque ending would've been if it hadn't been constantly spoiled for me for about 15 years before I actually saw it!

I don't remember the first time I saw ESB. I just vaguely remember seeing it multiple times on tape as a kid, recorded from Channel 10. I never had that "shock moment" everyone else had, instead it was just ambient knowledge.

Before I even saw it, my janitor told me that this guy cut his hand off and that he was His father...all when I was looking at the Empire poster in the newspaper. I was only 10 at that time. Lol. And I hadn't seen any of the STAR WARS film. But luckily I had forgotten about it. Only when I saw it finally I was given the right shock moment and afterwards was able to recall and understand what the janitor had told me. Years later... 

My lovely box of simian scores / monkey music / gorilla grooves arrived on Friday.

Could anyone direct me to where I can find the album artwork for each of the individual CDs in this box set, please?  I have just ripped Escape from the Planet of the Apes to my 'ompooter but all I can find is the artwork for the box itself.  Thank you.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

A janitor that can afford his own gardener must work for some pretty loaded people.

Better yet one who could watch the movies by himself while I had to grow up and wait.... 😂

I've only been able to sit down to hear the first section of PotA that builds up to and culminates in The Hunt. Incredibly good, was an experience not unlike encountering the film for the first time when it was still relatively recent. The usual on point restoration job from MM, so much more depth and clarity than previously. This was the only film score my instrumental composition teacher admired; there are so many similarities to the sound worlds of Varese and Rite-era Stravinsky. I went to school when tonal/film music was way less legitimized in composition programs than it is today. Among many musicians today the older style boundaries aren't an issue, but in some ways atonal music is an even weirder proposition to general 21st century audiences than late 20th, no? We have been so steeped in diatonic, increasingly less chromatic pop and film music in mass culture for the last 20-25 years. That said, I still marvel at what Goldsmith created in 1968 no matter the context.

22 hours ago, Omen II said:

Could anyone direct me to where I can find the album artwork for each of the individual CDs in this box set, please?

My fourth post on page 2 of this thread. 

@Yavar Moradi, I have to agree with you on Beneath the Planet of the Apes. It is a real chore to listen to and I had the impression that it was an attempt to recreate the weird character of the first score, but it ended up in little more than a stack of weirdness.

Now listening to the first score: Impressive as always, but much more enjoyable now.

How so? I give my true opinion of things, which is sometimes negative. But I actually do *try* to like every score I buy. I’ve been trying to love Beneath the Planet of the Apes for over a decade ever since I got the FSM release. FSM is/was my favorite film music label, because their liner notes were always so consistently great and insightful, that even if I didn’t always click with the score at first, I got a lot out of the accompanying booklet and often the score would grow on me thanks to the writers’ work in helping me connect with it.

Well...the liner notes for all the Apes scores FSM released were excellent. But Beneath never grew on me. I tried it multiple times, and I always found it an unpleasant listen, difficult to connect with and enjoy even if I could understand what Rosenman was going for.

I’ll give it another honest shot when I get my LLL set and maybe the intervening years will make a difference. Star Trek IV eventually grew on me beyond the finale cue, after the new Intrada expanded edition (even though it’s still easily my least favorite Trek feature score).

But you know how I know I’m not “so critical of everything”? Because so many years ago, when I so disliked Rosenman’s Beneath score despite my efforts, when I tried the FSM release of his later score to Battle for the Planet of the Apes, to my surprise I liked it a lot! I didn’t go in determined to be critical just because I disliked Rosenman’s previous effort (and a lot of his other scores). I still gave it a fair chance and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I’m curious if @Brundlefly will have a similar experience when he gets to the last disc of the set.

Yavar

To date Iam only familiar with the original Planet of the Apes film and score. Never got around to see the remaining sequels(even though I have the movies on my blu ray book set) So Iam intrigued about the other titles on the score set. I have only recently been taken over (say enamored) by Rosenmans music specially for ROBOCOP 2, so I look forward to hearing his score. 

8 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

So far, I can really not tell what the difference between the film and the album versions is. Has anyone spot any new overlays already?

Jeff Bond pointed out one of the most notable spots to us and we included it in the first hour of our conversation with him and David Newman (which we actually had a couple months ago and had to keep PotA secret, haha):