Will it ever happen?: Mike Matessino's STAR WARS: ORIGINAL TRILOGY Collector's Set

crumbs

Star Wars: The Original Trilogy Collector's Set  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Will it ever happen?

• Yes, after IX, as a tie-in to the inevitable 9-film 4K box set
    • Yes, but years from now, after Disney tests the market with an Indiana Jones box set
    • Yes, but Mike won't be involved... and it will be a complete mess like the Disney Demasters
    • No, they'll release one score at a time, no box sets
    • No, they'll just re-release the OST... again
    • Not for decades. This will be worse than the Sony era

There’s at least the film stems of the Rebo music. A 30 second or so snippet of one of the Rebo songs appeared on the Star Wars Soundboard many years ago. It could have been a film stem but I remember quality was decent albeit it was mono like everything else.

Regardless, I thought they made copies of the all masters?

Two movies that are really racist are Rosewood and Blind Side. As they take their topic serious, they can become quite dangerous, which is not the case in Indiana Jones.

6 hours ago, Arpy said:

@Datameister I'm sure the kids who grew up with ToD are now suffering from some form of racial bias and now look back at their childhood with regret and suicidal thoughts, instead of thinking how cool it was for Indy to throw a bald guy into the jaws of crocodiles by inciting the power of some magical stones, or when Short Round smashed the brainwashed Indian kid, releasing him from his nightmarish existence.

Jesus, I think most people are aware of the social wrongs in an Indiana Jones film, but also recognize fiction from fact.

I'm sick of this retroactive social criticism of scifi and fantasy films as if everyone in the past responsible for these children's films were racist bigots. 

Well there's an overreaction if I ever saw one. Yes, those kids are suffering from racial bias, because it's a scientifically established fact that most people do. It's often subtle, unintentional, and not something we have conscious awareness of, but it shows up in measurable ways. Generally speaking, it's cool if we find ways to reduce that, rather than increase it.

But the perspective you're arguing against - that these nefarious filmmakers have singlehandedly ruined the lives of generations across the globe through this one film - is nowhere to be seen in this thread. Life isn't so black-and-white. These filmmakers surely meant well overall, and there's plenty in the film to enjoy. That doesn't preclude us from disagreeing with the social wrongs you yourself admit are also present. People aren't cleanly divided into completely non-racist paragons and awful racist bigots. Generally good people do bad shit sometimes. In the grand scheme of things, making a film that has the potential for contributing a bit to existing biases is far from the worst thing a person could do. But it still can cause some hurt.

This isn't just retrospective, either. There was significant contemporary consternation from a lot of Indian people when this film was released. When people get hurt, it seems to me like the first thing you do is listen and try to understand their perspective.

Is there not some levity, though, that we should permit to works of fiction. We can look back retrospectively and see that perhaps for a group of people, the film could be perceived as portraying racist or problematic views, however, we must also see that there's no way to appease the sensitivity of everyone who receives these works of fiction. I had heard of the displeasure of Indians who believed the film had alienated their culture further to western audiences, although, I don't think anyone with a modicum of respect or decency, or half a brain cell ruminated for more than a second that Indian delicacy was as ludicrous as it is portrayed in the film, though a ploy to show the culture shock for Willie and Short Round. At that moment in the film, it felt to me like it was meant to be a fakeout, a moment to unsettle the protagonists and the audience. 

Just like in the world of gaming, we can commit to acts of extraordinary violence, acts that could be demeaning to a race or a culture and we can come away from the experience of playing those games recognizing that the representations of race, ethnicity, gender etc. and the violence perpetrated against them are fictional and nothing more. Problematic, but fictional. How do we go about gauging and policing how people are to respond to works of fiction? If someone is offended, how do we produce films that tiptoe around those issues, where expressions of culture can't be anything other than accurate and inoffensive?

If you choose to create something for the general public, of course you'll never please everyone across the board, but there are plenty of films that haven't had this particular issue. Not playing to racial stereotypes isn't that hard.

How do we gauge people's reaction? By listening to them. Same as anything else. :) You listen, you try to put yourself in their shoes as best you can, and you remind yourself that we all view the world from an incomplete and often distorted perspective. It's not tiptoeing; it's just caring about how your choices affect other people.

These questions are hard. I think grappling with them is important. I also think the world needs a modern MM-produced Star Wars box set. I think we've both said our piece; shall we return to that discussion?

13 hours ago, Arpy said:

@Datameister I'm sure the kids who grew up with ToD are now suffering from some form of racial bias and now look back at their childhood with regret and suicidal thoughts, instead of thinking how cool it was for Indy to throw a bald guy into the jaws of crocodiles by inciting the power of some magical stones, or when Short Round smashed the brainwashed Indian kid, releasing him from his nightmarish existence.

Jesus, I think most people are aware of the social wrongs in an Indiana Jones film, but also recognize fiction from fact.

I'm sick of this retroactive social criticism of scifi and fantasy films as if everyone in the past responsible for these children's films were racist bigots. 

A fair argument, Arpy, but both Spielberg and Lucas were aware that they were making a film that had the great potential to offend a lot of people...yet they still made it.

Stupid, or brave? Answers on.

Yes it's only a movie, and should ideally be judged on its own merits, but films mean many things to many people, and some films - no matter how hard they try not to - will wind up offending some people. It could be argued that, sometimes - just sometimes - the end does not justify the means. 

My only concern about showing ToD to my kids is the brain eating scene. I'm afraid they're gonna try opening some people's skulls and be REALLY dissapointed for not finding any brain inside...

Crystal Skull is toothless garbage. If Spielberg had any balls (and he really should, given the current political climate) he would have the Russians as the big enemies in the 5th film.

On 7/17/2019 at 7:46 AM, crumbs said:

So, are we ever going to see a comprehensive Star Wars Original Trilogy box set fully produced and mastered by Matessino himself? The pain endured after two decades of Sony's pathetic tenure will surely make it a sweet release if it ever comes to fruition, but one would be forgiven for being skeptical of another major label having the final say over such a release and not one of the smaller labels.

My bet is that Disney will finally unveil their 4K remasters of the original trilogy next year, but craftily bundle them into an ultra-9 disc box set of the entire saga, forcing fans to buy all the films all over again to secure their precious original versions of the first 3 films. Wouldn't that be the perfect occasion to release a remastered box set of the scores as well, starting with the original trilogy for the 40th Anniversary of Empire, then continuing every few years for the prequel trilogy and sequel trilogy? That's my dream scenario, what's yours?

My bet: Matessino's work on Star Wars will be heard in the form of isolated (and alternate) score tracks on the 9 disc "skywalker saga" blu-ray set. 

We'll just get these sets eventually and they will be near perfect. Where's the catch? - There won't be a catch!*

*literal translation from German: Where's the hook? - There won't be a hook!:(

On 7/21/2019 at 4:03 PM, Richard said:

A fair argument, Arpy, but both Spielberg and Lucas were aware that they were making a film that had the great potential to offend a lot of people...yet they still made it.

Stupid, or brave? Answers on.

Yes it's only a movie, and should ideally be judged on its own merits, but films mean many things to many people, and some films - no matter how hard they try not to - will wind up offending some people. It could be argued that, sometimes - just sometimes - the end does not justify the means. 

I'd rather have movies like that than movies that are screened to a comity to make sure none of the dialogue lines offend some people .That's where were getting at, universally bland movies where any controversy is removed

"I'll never buy the Star Wars Soundtracks again" - Bespin (in 1990)

Geez... Wake me up, I'm stuck in a bad nightmare!

• 4 months later...

I think it will definitely happen - just a question of when.

In a technical sense there should be nothing that makes these scores any harder than any others, providing the elements are there. It's surely just all down to JW being mega-protective of this franchise and Disney working out how to make the most possible amount of money from their release.

Here's a serious question: what proportion of general Star Wars fans would notice or care about another set of soundtracks which happen to be complete and sound a bit better than previous issues? My point being that with the many SW releases (and re-recordings, compilations, etc) what is there to differentiate our 'dream' expansion from the general SW fandom?

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

In a technical sense there should be nothing that makes these scores any harder than any others, providing the elements are there.

It depends entirely on the state of the elements.

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Here's a serious question: what proportion of general Star Wars fans would notice or care about another set of soundtracks which happen to be complete and sound a bit better than previous issues? My point being that with the many SW releases (and re-recordings, compilations, etc) what is there to differentiate our 'dream' expansion from the general SW fandom?

Money to be made by Disney, I guess. Having two concurrent releases means double the income stream.

And considering expanded releases would be more expensive than OSTs, it means a larger profit (considering all the mastering has already been done apparently, it just needs assembly now).

In much the same way they release streaming, CD, vinyl, etc. releases of the OSTs, saturating the market with product just means a healthy income stream that caters to more people.

• 1 year later...