Did you get the recent Expanded Soundtracks of Jaws and Superman?

Josh500

Did you get these recent expanded soundtracks of Jaws and Superman?   

56 members have voted

1. 1. Jaws and Superman

• Jaws (Intrada)
    • Jaws 2 (Intrada)
    • Jaws 3-D (Intrada)
    • Jaws: The Revenge
    • Superman The Movie (La-La Land)
    • Superman II & III (La-La Land)
    • Superman IV The Quest for Peace (La-La Land)

Out of these, I only bought John Williams's Jaws and Jaws 2 (so far). I was wondering whether to get the 5 other releases as well. 

(I didn't feel the need to spend money on this release of Superman, because I already own Rhino's edition.)

Any thoughts? 

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

I say, don't buy Jaws 3 and 4, 

Did anybody here actually get these? ANYBODY? 

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

I say, don't buy Jaws 3 and 4, or Superman 2 and 3.

For Superman 4, wait and see the results of the poll.

If I get Superman and Superman IV, I'll probably get II and III as well. My inner completist will demand that. 

23 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Jaws I, II, Superman I, Superman IV, Mastercard 0.

:sarcasm:

I haven't bought a single CD from John Williams since the HP boxset a few months ago. 

I'm getting thirsty again... thirsty for new JW soundtracks... :D

So I've decided to get LLL's Superman... Except it's temporarily out of stock now. Hopefully it'll be available again soon. 

Don't much care for the other four releases, even if JW was involved marginally in these projects. 

7 hours ago, Josh500 said:

So I've decided to get LLL's Superman... Except it's temporarily out of stock now. Hopefully it'll be available again soon. 

Wow! So soon? Glad I got mine just the other day then :)

30 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Wow! So soon? Glad I got mine just the other day then :)

So is it worth getting IYO? Much better than the Rhino version? 

I bought Jaws, Jaws 2, Superman: The Movie and Superman II/III.  The extra STM source music on II/III was enough to make me buy it.

I have Jaws and Jaws 2, and I ordered Superman in March, but I'm still waiting for it to ship.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

I can answer that even though I don't have it yet: Yes. The Blue Box was much better than the Rhino, and the new one is at leas as good and probably considerably better still.

I only have not bought Superman II and III, no need of those if you have the blue box (I know there’s the additional source music from Superman, but I do not consider it essential).

Jaws 3-D and Jaws The Revenge are both essential IMO. Jaws 3 is a very fun and varied score and Jaws The Revenge has the more energic variations on the Jaws theme and some beautiful emotional music from Michael Small. As both are sold out I can not recommend them enough if you can find them for a reasonable price.

On the pool I think the criteria for the results should be revised. As each title is independent and the same person might have acquired more than 1 title I think the best would be to compare each title with the total number of persons who voted. For example - Jaws was acquired by 31 of the 35 members that voted - this means that 88% of the voters purchased Jaws, 83% purchased Superman...

16 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Only got it last week so it's still shrink wrapped  :(

The 3 disc Superman is the most impressed I have been with new editions.

Jaws, Jaws 2, and Superman: The Movie are essential expansions

The Superman 2/3 set is only essential if you want every last note released for what Williams recorded for Superman: The Movie because the S:TM source music is in that set

If you already own the blue box, the scores to Superman 2/3/4 are basically the same in the new editions as in that box.

But you could sell the box and just have all the LLL versions instead, unless you care about Ron Jones' cartoon music

Agreed.  I don't have the blue box set but I bet it looks nice on the shelf.  I did get the book that came with the blue box set from Lucas Kendall's kick-starter campaign which I donated, primarily for Mike Matessino's extensive liner notes!  

Back on the original topic, I've got Jaws I & II, and all three LLL Superman releases from the last year.

If I can get my Superman copy one day I'll be happy. SAE still out of stock

Missing Jaws 2 of the major expansions. Not sure why I skipped it but I keep putting it off . I have the OST that was nearly complete.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

If you already own the blue box, the scores to Superman 2/3/4 are basically the same in the new editions as in that box.

But you could sell the box and just have all the LLL versions instead, unless you care about Ron Jones' cartoon music

Nope, I don't even have the Blue Box. 

I only got the Japanese version of the OST of Superman (the one with the extra track) and Rhino's expanded version. 

Yeah, I'll have to get this LLL's version of Superman ASAP. Not sure about 2, 3, or 4!

22 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, those are devilishly hard to get off!

This should do the trick! :P

images (3).jpeg

Well, you should get Superman 4, because Williams wrote new themes for it, and Courage's score that uses them is pretty good! It's certainly possible he had a lot of discussions with Williams on how to shape the score.

Superman 2 and 3 are in the same category as Jaws 3 and 4. JW had nothing to do with them directly, lesser composers just used his themes and the orchestras are fairly small, so ymmv whether you enjoy listening to them or not. 

But Superman IV is a pretty easy score to get into

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Jaws 3-D is a terrific score - sounds like the love child of Jaws and Williams' 70s disaster scores :)

This movie, though.... 😂 

Even the trailer looks so stupid, it hurts my eyes just watching it. 

Did you get the recent Expanded Soundtracks of Jaws and Superman?

No.

For JAWS, I'm happy with my old MCA CD. I owned the expanded 90s version once, but sold it.

For JAWS 2, I'm content with my 90s Varese CD.

For JAWS 3, I had the Intrada 2007 CD once, but sold it. Not essential. I kept the digital files (shhh!)

For JAWS 4, I had the -- at the time super rare -- 2000 promo CD once, but sold this too. Not essential. I kept the digial files (shhh!). 

For SUPERMAN, I'm content with the ol' Warner Bros, black-cover CD from the 90s. I owned the Rhino 2CD once, but sold it.

For SUPERMAN II/III, I have a CD-R that combines the old 1980 WB LP of II, and rare LP of III (love that Moroder track!). That's enough for me.

For SUPERMAN IV, I have a digital file version of the material on the Blue Box (shhh!). I aim to pick up the standalone release on LLL at some point.

So, you always go with Williams' original assembly because according to you that's THE way he wanted it to be heard, but you're content with the Superman OST which dropped 2 tracks from his original program because of bullshit red book standards? The LLL is the best Supes expansion/release btw, because it has that great OST program in the best sound ever.

I work with what works, that's it. The tracks omitted on the SUPERMAN OST CD, compared to the LP set, neither add or detract much from the already-long and varied listening experience, IMO. "The Big Rescue", which was released on the Rhino, is a great track in and of itself, but again one I can live perfectly without.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I work with what works, that's it. The tracks omitted on the SUPERMAN OST CD, compared to the LP set, neither add or detract much from the already-long and varied listening experience, IMO. "The Big Rescue", which was released on the Rhino, is a great track in and of itself, but again one I can live perfectly without.

It's a 'great track' but you choose to live without it for the sole reason that it wasn't included on a CD you once bought?

That's just weird :rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

It's a 'great track' but you choose to live without it for the sole reason that it wasn't included on a CD you once bought?

That's just weird :rolleyes:

No, it isn't. I'm just not that into "individual tracks". For me, the only thing that matters is how the whole album plays out as a singular listening experience. "The Big Rescue" could probably have been inserted into the OST programme somewhere without creating too much havoc, but the album is perfect without it too. All's fine.

I tend to enjoy 'works' more than 'pieces' (compilations and playlists notwithstanding), and don't really care what's missing or not as long as what I have does its job. I press 'play' and let the hopefully well-sequenced album play out in its entirety. Never one for piecemeal listening.

Because god forbid the work itself be good and well-structured, 90s CDs with 70s LP master remasters and throwing tracks out from the composer's OST presentation is where it's at!

The sound is fine. It's obviously better in subsequent releases, but not enough to warrant constant re-purchasing. It's not like the difference between a crackly old 30s recording vs. a sparkling, new rerecording.

There is a "project" I could do, though. I will never, ever buy another SUPERMAN album in physical format. The ol' Warner CD is the only thing I'll have untill the day I die, the only representative of this work on my shelf.

BUT...for my digital iTunes version, there is more flexibility. For example, if there was a way I could replicate the exact tracks on the Warner with the later, better-sounding tracks, I probably could. And then -- perhaps, just perhaps -- reinsert the original, missing LP tracks and something like "The Big Rescue" if, and only if, they work organically in the album experience. Something to work on when time and desire allow.

23 minutes ago, Thor said:

There is a "project" I could do, though. I will never, ever buy another SUPERMAN album in physical format. The ol' Warner CD is the only thing I'll have untill the day I die, the only representative of this work on my shelf.

Hear hear!

I bought the Superman CDs and I¡m happy with those. At some point I considered buying Jaws and Jaws 2 but.... Maybe I'll wait for a re-re-release hahahaha