Michael Giacchino's JOJO RABBIT (2019)

Jay

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This movie won the People's Choice Award at the Toronto Film Festival.

Over the last 20 years, 12 of the winners of this award have been nominated for the Best Picture Oscar, 5 have won it.

If this movie gets Oscar buzz, maybe Giacchino could get that elusive third Oscar nomination.  I haven't heard much about the score from reviews, though.  This (negative) Indiewire review just calls the score "cheerful" https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/jojo-rabbit-review-taika-waititi-tiff-1202172024/

Didn't seem like a movie that would need a lot of score, nor that the score would be front and center often.  Then again Thor Ragnarok had a ton of score so who knows

• 2 weeks later...

Clip, tiny bit of score at the end:

Still no word on if this is even getting an OST album or not.  Film opens on October 18th

• 2 weeks later...

720x0w.jpg

TITLE   TIME
Jojo's March
Rabbit Got Your Tongue
How Jojo Got His Name
Adolf Einleitung in Cheek
Catch the Antelopers
Grenade and Bear It
Jojo's Infirmary Period
A New Uni-deform
From Poster to Postest
The Secret Room
Pickled Pink
Negotiate Your Heart Out
Beyond Questions
No Weak Jews
The Elsa Prophecy
A Boy of Letters
A Game of Names
Mother Joker
A Few of My Shiniest Things
Eye of the Tiger (String Quartet Version)
Get to the Back of the HQ
Proving Your Metal
Elsa's Art Appreciation
Gestapo Making Sense
Don't Speech Your Pants
A Butterfly's Wings
Rosie's Nocturne
The Kids Are All Reich
Allies Well That Ends Well
New World Order
A Few Too Germany
What Elsa Is New
Nathan's Last Letter
The Adolf in the Room
A World to the Wise
Elsa Behaved
Jojo's Theme
  • 49 Minutes
  • Released: 18 Oct 2019
  • ℗ 2019 Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation

I guess no physical CD coming then...

Varese was also able to get CD rights to Jupiter Ascending for the US after Sony  Music decided they would only release CDs in other countries and go digital-only for US, so they could step in here too.

Got the chance to listen to this over the weekend and it has a nice little theme to it and it does have a couple solo male boys pieces, reminiscent of some of the old medal of honour stuff, that are quite pretty but for the most part a decent albeit low key score that fits in the usual Giacchino style. There were also a few piano queues that sound like they would have fit with John Carter as well. 

Needs another listen but so far 3/5

The FYC has been posted on the Fox Searchlight page.  Same number of cues but they don't appear to be identical to the commercial release.  Plus, the FYC is only 41+ minutes.

For more info, visit...

This score has really gotten practically zero discussion.  Where all the Giaccino fans on this forum at?

Listening to this now. I had zero expectations on what this was gonna be like, and I still don't really know what to think about it. I think a lot of the suspense parts sound like Let Me In, which may work in the film but makes for a hard listening experience on its own.

Edit: just finished it. Very forgettable overall. Sometimes pleasant to listen to, sometimes very boring. Very possible it was get an Oscar nom. 

1 hour ago, Fargo said:

Sometimes pleasant to listen to, sometimes very boring.

This really describes most of Gia's non-action non-blockbusters scores. Unfortunately, since Lost I haven't liked his more subtle scores.

On 10/29/2019 at 1:53 AM, Jay said:

This score has really gotten practically zero discussion.  Where all the Giaccino fans on this forum at?

I'm waiting to see the film so I can better understand the context. I didn't have much interest in The Book of Henry until I saw the film (as reprehensible a film as it is) and the music is slowly growing on me..

After listening to this once over, it's comprised of a lot of short cues which seem to be incidental or underscore with some nice nuggets buried in there - not unlike Bad Times which has some killer 'searching' cues. To me this seems more of a functionality over listenability kind of score, but then again I haven't seen the film yet...

I listened again today.  Some good tracks in there, like The Secret Room.  Overall it doesn't gel together an an album.  Just feels like a collection of tracks.

I'm in your boat that seeing the movie will likely help me appreciate it a lot more

Having actually seen the movie: it's likely not gonna do much to sway you from how it's assembled on the album. With the amount of source tracks present (from some pretty well known names), it just wasn't going to stand out much. The most I picked up on was the cute variant of the Fox logo that he did (though it seemed more like an original piece that happened to start with the familiar drums). It wasn't buried in the mix, and stylistically does fit the time of the film, but it left very little impression otherwise. I was admittedly a bit distracted at points when watching it, so maybe that didn't help. Still, I doubt hearing it on its own is suddenly gonna bring it to life more, especially being as short and fragmented as it is.

• 1 year later...

I bought a physical copy of the FYC album off ebay, and finally ripped it and compared it to the OST.  Note, there's two tabs

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Rt2dVuXiRtFfr2YgKmWv49yV2W1AtmaoNhR9VOW6l-I