Martin Scorsese’s THE IRISHMAN (2019)

mrbellamy

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Running time of The Irishman is ... 209 minutes!

Cremeritis!!!!!

On 8/27/2019 at 8:13 PM, Disco Stu said:

Final running time...... 210 minutes.

TWO HUNDRED AND TEN MINUTES

https://www.filmlinc.org/nyff2019/films/the-irishman/

On 8/27/2019 at 8:16 PM, KK said:

Jesus...

Scorcese seriously needs a better editor...

But really, I'm betting that number will change.

On 8/27/2019 at 8:52 PM, mrbellamy said:

Only on JWFan!

On 8/27/2019 at 10:11 PM, Koray Savas said:

Indeed. Thelma Schoonmaker is a legend. 

On 8/27/2019 at 10:26 PM, KK said:

Well obviously...my point was just a broader remark on how Scorcese's latest films have been super indulgent in runtime, often to their detriment.

On 8/27/2019 at 11:24 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

Nobody is infallible. Scorsese has made bad films too. Thelma has done bad jobs too.

The runtime won't change or does not need to change because this is a streaming movie. It will have a vanity showing in some theaters but the movie was conceived of and exists as a movie to be streamed. And there are no limitations there with regards to runtime. People can pause or take breaks or watch it is a miniseries or what not.

On 8/28/2019 at 4:09 AM, Chen G. said:

Yeah, on the whole the experience of pace on the small screen is entirely different to the cinema. I'm not terribly enthused, but we shall have to wait and see.

On 8/29/2019 at 7:44 AM, Disco Stu said:

I wouldn't cut a single second of Wolf of Wall Street.  Great film.

Anyway maybe we'll watch The Irishman in 5 42 minute segments and pretend it's a.... TV series ;) 

On 8/29/2019 at 11:05 AM, Alexcremers said:

Bad films or not so great films?

On 8/29/2019 at 2:11 PM, Stefancos said:

Do people still hate The King Of Comedy?

On 8/29/2019 at 2:14 PM, Thor said:

Very excited about the length here. I'm not that enthused about long films anymore, but there are some exceptions. Scorsese is certainly one of them. The sheer energy of WOLF OF WALL STREET made the experience feel like 90 minutes, even though it's twice that. I'm hoping he brings some of that to THE IRISHMAN as well.

On 8/29/2019 at 2:53 PM, John said:

It’s a classic!

There's some people mostly of my age (on their 20s) that never watched Lord of the Rings because those movies are "too long" and whined when they found out that Avengers: Endgame would be a three hour movie. 

They will see this movie when they're inevitably scrolling on Netflix, but they won't watch it no way, no matter how much marketing Netflix does.

22 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Maybe I am dense but the point eludes me? What is it... that it is a minute shorter than people though it would be?

Cremeritis is when you post sometihng that you think is new, but was already being discussed in the thread you're posting it to, usually in the posts immediately preceding your new post.  Alex did this repeatedly a year or two back, IE constantly posting a "new" trailer that was already being discussed on the same page of the thread he was posting to, etc, so someone came up with the term "Cremeritis" to describe it (but he's not the only one that has done it)

In this particular case, he posted the length of The Irishman, as if it was new information to all of us, however Disco Stu had already posted this information previously and a whole discussion had sprung from it, including a post from Alex during the discussion, making him posting the news again now even funnier.

And now I've explained the joke, making the entire thing significantly less funnier than it would have been otherwise.

I feel like I should be more excited for this film than I ultimately am.  Seems like a good idea on paper but as the months have gone on, news has come out, photos and trailers have been released...each new thing has kind of cooled my interest a little more each time.  I hope it ends up being a good movie, but that seems less and less likely to me

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Cremeritis is when you post sometihng that you think is new, but was already being discussed in the thread you're posting it to, usually in the posts immediately preceding your new post.  Alex did this repeatedly a year or two back, IE constantly posting a "new" trailer that was already being discussed on the same page of the thread he was posting to, etc, so someone came up with the term "Cremeritis" to describe it (but he's not the only one that has done it)

In this particular case, he posted the length of The Irishman, as if it was new information to all of us, however Disco Stu had already posted this information previously and a whole discussion had sprung from it, including a post from Alex during the discussion, making him posting the news again now even funnier.

And now I've explained the joke, making the entire thing significantly less funnier than it would have been otherwise.

To be fair to myself I googled Cremeritis wondering what it was, wether it was some other youth lingo that I was unaware of. I learn a lot of millennial speak quite late even though I am millennial myself.

Thanks for explaining. I wouldn't have made the connection.

I was seriously distracted by a de-aged Nick Fury in Captain Marvel. Then I was kinda surprised when I read comments like "It's Samuel L. Jackson's acting that saved the movie". Like they didn't even notice he was de-aged! 

Just now, Stefancos said:

His acting is fine

It's hard to tell when the face is so distracting but apparently it's a non-issue to many people. Which is strange because it's one of the main reasons why I'm not keeping my hopes up for The Irishman

Tron Legacy was 2010; Benjamin Button was 2008.

In 2006, X-Men Last Stand opened with a de-aged Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen meeting Jean Grey

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, and it was awful.

The technology has improved by leaps and bounds since then, yea.  The de-aging in MCU films is amazing

Indeed. In 2010, I thought the "young" Jeff Bridges on Tron Legacy looked great, but he doesn't hold a candle to the most recent attempts on MCU movies.

Anyone watched It 2? I read somewhere that they deaged the kid actors, now 16/17 year-old teenagers, to make them look like themselves but with 13 again.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I've never seen that movie.  Is it good?

I loved it then, and I love it, now. It's not quite as good as TRON, but it's still great. My favourite score of 2010.

Why they chose to use Bridges' face from AGAINST ALL ODDS, and not TRON, is a mystery.

I'll check it out someday.  I've listened to the score a few times. Not my cup of tea.  I like some Daft Punk regular songs, though