Martin Scorsese’s THE IRISHMAN (2019)

mrbellamy

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The movie is garbage.

Thank you! I couldn't believe how bad it was. Tron Legacy easily belongs in the top 10 worst movies of that year.

12 hours ago, Jay said:

I've never seen that movie.  Is it good?

It's brilliant. It's a film which successfully incorporates elements of the original whilst telling a new story. The visuals and score are a match made in heaven - just a beautiful film.

On the de-aged Bridges: yeah, the technology just wasn't there back in 2010, but it wasn't distracting once you consider it's all inside a virtual world where 99% of the visuals are CG anyway. 

I'm actually surprised you haven't seen the film! 

4 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The movie is garbage. If you have listened to the score, you had done all that is necessary. There's no need to subject yourself to the movie.

The score was one of the best of 2010, easily trouncing The Social Network and was a nice contender for How To Train Your Dragon!

19 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Kinda like the original.

At least the original had the benefit of a strange score, equally strange atmosphere, a non de-aged Jeff Bridges and a never before seen world.

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

So de-ageing actors has become common place now. 

I'm sure they would do it for Indy5 if Harrison Ford looks too old

In a not so distant future, other actors will play the part of Indiana Jones, but with Harrison Ford's digital face. And the people will say, the film was meh but Harrison Ford was great as usual.

I didn't have anything specifically in mind, they just have been in similar circles for almost 50 years.

Pacino is certainly not above supporting roles, maybe he could've done something smaller like the Ben Kingsley role in Shutter Island.  But I'm sure that if Scorsese had really wanted to work with Pacino 30 or 40 years ago, he'd have found a project to make it happen.

---------------------------------------------

Check Pesci with his black fedora and tinted glasses.

In that press conference Scorsese says that he and Pacino once tried to work together on a film about the Italian sculptor Modigliani but that it didn't come together.  So there ya go.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The movie won't be playing at a cinema in my city, bummer :(

Look out for tiny independent cinemas in your city. They don't do much advertising, you need to enter their building to maybe spot a movie poster, but at least in the small town, where I live, there is such a cinema showing The Irishman, which I found out coincidentally.

Here in my country, a local distributor made a deal with Netflix to put the movie on 15 cities, but somehow mine wasn't included, despite being one of the largest and most important towns on the country. Me and other people from my city already questioned them on their Facebook page, but so far they didn't answer, and I'm not holding my breath.

I'm seeing this in the cinema this Friday, if all goes according to plan.  I have jury duty tomorrow, so there's always a chance that not only do I make it on to the jury, but that the trial spills into Friday as well.

True story: I'm 40 years old and have only ever received jury duty summons once ever. All I did was sit in some side room for a few hours then they sent everyone home

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm seeing this in the cinema this Friday, if all goes according to plan.  I have jury duty tomorrow, so there's always a chance that not only do I make it on to the jury, but that the trial spills into Friday as well.

Yes, I'm also seeing it this Friday; a press screening, but the film also gets a very limited theatrical release before it hits Netflix (or during its Netflix release). Haven't watched a 3 and a half hour movie in a theatre for a while, but for Scorsese, I'm willing to go the extra mile. :)

9 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Sorry, David. I watch everything on my phone now. Get back to Twin Peaks.

I watched Gravity on an iPad. Everyone went on about the great spectacle of that movie, but I thought it was nothing extraordinary. It was all quite small scale really.

13 hours ago, Quintus said:

I watched Gravity on an iPad. Everyone went on about the great spectacle of that movie, but I thought it was nothing extraordinary. It was all quite small scale really.

That's because you watched it on an iPad instead of a cinema, in 3D.

20 hours ago, Thor said:

but the film also gets a very limited theatrical release before it hits Netflix (or during its Netflix release). 

That'll be so it gets Oscar consideration won't it? Such a stupid archaic rule.

6 hours ago, mstrox said:

I wonder how Lynch feels about TV on handheld devices. I remember watching the entire final season of The Sopranos on an early LG LED touch screen phone.

e1ttgtW.jpg

The finale, with that last shot on Tony Soprano... still one of TV's best endings.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

That'll be so it gets Oscar consideration won't it? Such a stupid archaic rule.

It's getting a much wider release than Roma got last year just so it could be considered for the Oscars.  This is because Scorsese said he only signed the deal to make it with Netflix when they agreed to give it as wide a release as they could, the complication being that the biggest theater chains refuse to show Netflix movies.  It might not be playing on 3,000 screens in America, but it is playing in secondary markets like Charlottesville and Richmond, Virginia (where I'm going to see it), so it's reaching much farther than the typical "2 screens in LA, 2 screens in NY" nominal theatrical run for Oscars.

I've seen this film.

I found it overlong and boring. Sure it is very well made, well directed with great production design and acting, yadda yadda yadda - but the narrative is fundamentally uninteresting.

It is totally about a man you don't give two hoots about - Frank Sheeran - Robert De Niro's character - who is completely dull, boring, probably dumb, unsympathetic, and not even very important. We watch his interminable life with him doing hits etc. for hours, literally hours - before we get to all the good stuff with Hoffa - Pacino's character. That stuff is interesting but even after its hour, there's still another hour to go.

This was supposed to be a mini-series, not a movie. 

The most damaging point of all - the movie adapts the book very faithfully but - the book has been completely discredited as a complete pack of lies and bullshit. So it is about this totally fringe figure - Frank Sheeran - an extremely low-level crook who did not commit a single murder - and fake newses his way through history telling a completely improbable tale where he is some kind of heavy influencing most of the major events in post war American history (mafia and otherwise) including attempts to invade Cuba, JFK assassination and more importantly - the assassination and disappearances of Joe Gallo and Jimmy Hoffa.

You constantly wonder, why are you watching the story of this character of all people. There is some meat to the story, why not focus on some other character and make a different and -much more importantly - a shorter movie.

A basic problem: in the age of Netflix & Co., the crime narrative, subspecies Mafia and drug lords, has been done to death. I wish Scorsese still had another 'Age of Innocence' in him instead of more organized crime.

I agree - or maybe different material for a crime film - like maybe the Underworld USA Trilogy.

It just came down to the fact that he wanted to do a mob movie with De Niro again. And while Dr Niro is good, he's never the right age.

When they show the character as a young soldier in World War II - even with the de-aging, he looks like a 48 year old man playacting. He never ever looks young. So they promised, he was going to look like he did in Taxi Driver, well that never happens. At his youngest point he starts out middle-aged and then only gets older and older as the movie progresses.

I wish he would have bypassed De Niro for something more along the line of HBO's 'Vinyl' (he did producer duties on this one). I rather watch Bobby Cannavale than De Niro these days.