Wanted: Lights, Camera... Music! Vol. 2. Wishlist for new recordings

rough cut

It was about two years ago that Lights, Camera... Music! was released. Looking back it's the kind of release that is very unusual since it cuts deeper than most JW re-recordings released.

I thought it'd be fun to sum up the new arrangements we know exist, and that we'd love to get professional recordings of.

This is what I'd wish for if there ever was a vol. 2 released. Thoughts?

The new arrangements of:

Han Solo And The Princess (New arrangement)

The Book Thief (Oscar arrangement)

The Face of Pan from Hook (revised)

Leaving Home from Superman (Oscar arrangement)

Diagon Alley & Gringot’s Vault from Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone (revised)

Lost World Main Theme (revised)

Esplanade Overture from Monsignor (”Meeting In Sicily” concert arrangement)

Irina’s Theme from Indiana Jones And The Crystal Skull (revised)

I wouldn't mind some re-recordings of some deep cut cues as well... New recordings wish list:

Reuniun In Italy from Monsignor

Yes, Giorgio!

Botanicus

Training With George from Eiger Sanction.

Preparations from Black Sunday

Love Theme from Heidi

Double Trouble from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Soundtrack (no-choir arrangement)

A Window To The Past from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Soundtrack (re-arranged)

Across The Stars from Star Wars Episode II Attack Of The Clones

The Trip To Earth, Love Theme and The March Of The Villains from Superman

And since this post is about wishing, I'd love to hear new and expanded concerts arrangements of:

Polyjuice Potion from Harry Potter And The Chamber of Secrets

Qui-gon Jinn’s Theme from The Phantom Menace

Wet Bandits' Theme from Home Alone

Thompsons' Theme from Tintin

All good choices ^

I'd add The Accidental Tourist concert arrangement (the one that's on the Hayman comp), Blood Moon from Images, Nixon and anything from the 60's including Fitzwilly, The Rare Breed, The Plainsman and How to Steal a Million.

Dream on :(

14 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

.....and anything from the 60's including Fitzwilly, The Rare Breed, The Plainsman and How to Steal a Million.

Dream on :(

Yes, I want an all 50s and 60s compilation, preferably with selections from titles that have no release whatsover -- so THE PLAINSMAN counts, but not the others among your selections. OK, maybe THE RARE BREED even if it has a suite.

Basing my list on known concert arrangements that have been performed live at least once:

The rest of the Lincoln suite

Circus Train Chase from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

The full JFK suite

The Sea Battle from The Adventures of Tintin

Escape from the City and Epilogue from War of the Worlds

52 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

about a new recording (possibly an expanded concert arrangement) of End Title, End Cast from Jaws 2?  

That's a great suggestion! Definitely the highlight of the score.

2 hours ago, Matt S. said:

How about a new recording (possibly an expanded concert arrangement) of End Title, End Cast from Jaws 2?  Poor Jaws 2 is completely overshadowed (or should I say "swallowed?") by its predecessor, despite being a fantastic score in its own right.  In fact, has ANY orchestra ever recorded anything from it?  The City of Prague Philharmonic records EVERYTHING, and I don't think they've even touched it.

There was a ProArte John Williams compilation CD I saw in a record store (remember those?) in the late 80s / early 90s that had something on from Jaws 2. It was some oddball orchestra like Beverly Hills Pops or Sunset Pops, could very well have been synth too. Could never find it again after that.

8 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

There was a ProArte John Williams compilation CD I saw in a record store (remember those?) in the late 80s / early 90s that had something on from Jaws 2. It was some oddball orchestra like Beverly Hills Pops or Sunset Pops, could very well have been synth too. Could never find it again after that.

Yikes.  Sounds like it's not even worth searching for.

17 hours ago, rough cut said:

Esplanade Overture from Monsignor (”Meeting In Sicily” concert arrangement)

Can we save that for a full disc of other unrecorded concert pieces? How about non-bootleg versions of that, For Seiji, Just Down West Street, A Toast, etc.

6 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Can we save that for a full disc of other unrecorded concert pieces? How about non-bootleg versions of that, For Seiji, Just Down West Street, A Toast, etc.

Yes, we can always dream.

It looks like JW is a little bit more comfortable these days revisiting older, more obscure pieces from his repertoire. That being said, we don’t know which of those he would approve to be performed/recorded anew—from what it seems, he wouldn’t approve much of his really early stuff, while he seems okay with things from early 70s onwards, even though it’s a case-by-case basis. Lockhart however seems to know how to get things from him—during this year’s Pops season he performed “The Turbulent Years” from Nixon several times. So, considering what’s already available as published suites, what could be dusted off from JKMS and the BSO library and what realistically JW would allow, here’s my wish list for a Vol.2:

Esplanade Overture

End Title from The Poseidon Adventure

Blood Moon from Images

Overture from Tom Sawyer

End Title (or Ballet from Divers) from Jaws 2

The Ancestral Home from The River

Theme from The Accidental Tourist

Theme from The Lost World

Theme from Seven Years in Tibet

Epilogue from War of the Worlds

Suite from the Book Thief

The Presidents Suite:

Prologue from JFK

The Turbulent Years from Nixon

The People’s House from Lincoln

Three Pieces from the Star Wars saga:

Han Solo and the Princess from TESB

The Rebellion is Reborn from The Last Jedi

Concert Piece from The Rise of Skywalker

11 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Concert Piece from The Rise of Skywalker

What if there's more than one? ;)

My hope is JJ asks for several, plus a new end credits suite. 

Instead of a new compilation, I'd much rather that the LSO/Boston Pops started putting out CDs with entire recordings of suites, like the three HP ones, all the Star Wars arrangements etc. This would give the music a more serious nature, in my humble opinion: they should stop randomly recording whatever they please, so no Harry's Wondrous World but the whole suite.

57 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I'd much rather that the LSO/Boston Pops started putting out CDs with entire recordings of suites /- - -/. This would give the music a more serious nature

What would be the benifit of a “serious nature?”

Do you mean in terms of your own personal preferences, JW’s image in certain groups or commercially (sales)?

Yes, I mean that we need to abandon the 'greatest hits' mindset and encourage recordings of the whole suites to make people aware of the fact that it's more than 'yeah, Star Wars!!!', that he's the Bach of our days whose Harry Potter's Children's Suite is right up there with the Goldberg Variations.

Ooh look, 4000 posts!

I hear you, and I’m all for spreading the gospel!

But right now there just seems so many arrangements out there without a proper recording or where the latest recording is really old.

I am all for what you are proposing but I really hope the future holds place for both kinds of releases.

On 8/4/2019 at 7:30 PM, JTWfan77 said:

I'm curious now. Does anyone here have that?

On 8/4/2019 at 8:57 PM, Dieter Stark said:

Battle of the Heroes without chorus.

On 8/4/2019 at 11:16 PM, aj_vader said:

I'll now with that in mind say, Duel of the Fates without choir. 

Those exist by the Kanagawa Symphony Orchestra.

Pretty sure there's a CD release of that, but I cannot find it on the internet right now.

Anyone here who can help out?

15 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:
On 8/4/2019 at 12:30 PM, JTWfan77 said:

I can confirm it existed. I had it at one time when some of these scores were not on CD. It was pretty bad and I got rid of it years ago.

https://www.discogs.com/Sunset-Pops-Orchestra-Great-Film-Music-By-John-Williams/release/6362111

20 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Those exist by the Kanagawa Symphony Orchestra.

Pretty sure there's a CD release of that, but I cannot find it on the internet right now.

Anyone here who can help out?

Yeah but the versions that are out there are not very good. 

5 hours ago, MarkRSmith said:

I can confirm it existed. I had it at one time when some of these scores were not on CD. It was pretty bad and I got rid of it years ago.

https://www.discogs.com/Sunset-Pops-Orchestra-Great-Film-Music-By-John-Williams/release/6362111

Aha! So I'm not dreaming.

When you say pretty bad, is it William Motzing /  City of Prague Philharmonic bad, Richard Harman / Philharmonic Rock bad, or Andrew Lane / Orlando Pops bad?

:D

I'm curious about the Jaws 2 recording, do you remember which bit of music it had?

Young Indys First Adventure from LAST CRUSADE and the JFK Suite. Themes from A. I. Artificial Intelligence and the revised Han Solo and The Princess from EMPIRE. 

17 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Aha! So I'm not dreaming.

When you say pretty bad, is it William Motzing /  City of Prague Philharmonic bad, Richard Harman / Philharmonic Rock bad, or Andrew Lane / Orlando Pops bad?

:D

I'm curious about the Jaws 2 recording, do you remember which bit of music it had?

It's been 30 years......I seem to remember a little bad synth in the Earthquake track. Pretty sure Jaws 2 was End Title/End Cast (or at least some of it.) I got rid of it when I bought the Varese Earthquake & Jaws 2 in 1990 (I was in the navy in San Diego - I used to hit Tower Records every weekend) 

10 hours ago, publicist said:

Daddy's Gone-a-Huntin

The dated title song I could be without, but there's some great abstract material in that score. Especially the almost "glass"-like percussion that is used in some of the more uneasy sequences. But the likelihood of seeing anything from that released is nill.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

The dated title song I could be without, but there's some great abstract material in that score. Especially the almost "glass"-like percussion that is used in some of the more uneasy sequences. But the likelihood of seeing anything from that released is nill.

I take both. Isn't everything better than another useless 're-interpretation' of the same old marches?