What about K-19 score ?

PBL

Just saw the film yesterday. And during all the film, I was thinking: "hum... I seem to recognize the composer... a bit like goldsmith, the colors of the strings and the horns) but with a kind of melodic gregson-williams touch... ) And finaly in the end credits, I get to know that "Klaus Badelt" composed it and that "Valery Gergiev" conducted the orchestra !

I wonder what do you think about this score ?

Ocelot, do you know the composer, or did you heard of him ?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Klaus Badelt is one of the composers of Zimmer's Media Ventures group.

I hear he's a competent, if less then original composer.

He did a fun parody on Der Blaue Danube for the film Hannibal, that i really enjoyed.

Stefancos- watching The Mask of Zorro on TV, enjoying Horner's scoe.

Klaus Badelt is one of the composers of Zimmer's Media Ventures group.

hum... that so... that explains some "gregson-williams" touch I felt when seeing the movie... I'm rather glad to see that my ear doesn't fail me. :thumbup:

I also heard a bit of Patrick Doyle's "Est/Ouest" score in it. Now, I know both deal with Russia, so it's not surprising that they'd share a similar musical vocabulary, but the main tune from K:19 actually sounded quite close to one of the themes from Est/Ouest. However, they both could simply be dervied from a classical piece I've just never heard, as is so often the case with film music.

Klaus Badelt provided some additional music for Gladiator and co-wrote the score to The Pledge (again with Hans Zimmer). He also wrote the score for The Time Machine and Ned Kelly. I saw the latter recently and its actually quite good music, even if it does tend to be a little derivative and inappropriate at times.

CYPHER

I like the score to K-19, but I have a few complaints. For me, it perhaps could be more East-driven (it's Russia in all its communist glory after all), yet I would welcome no "Gladiator" and "Peacemaker" echoing occasionally, or generally Hans Zimmer's omnipresent presence in the more tense cues of the score. If Zimmer made Badelt make it sound that way, I'd blame Zimmer.

A few month ago I could choose between the scores to "K-19 the Widowmaker" and "Black Hawk Down". I chose "K-19" and I'm quite happy I did so... :)

• 5 years later...

I have to admit that I do own a legit copy of this cd score.....only for the fact that Gergiev had involvement with the conducting of it and also that (I await the backlash for this one) it's very good.

He did a fun parody on Der Blaue Danube for the film Hannibal, that i really enjoyed.

Yes, Gourmet Valse Tartare. Definitely a delicious piece, I also enjoy it immensely. ^_^ Done with a lot of gusto and musical cojones, so to speak. :D

I have to admit that I do own a legit copy of this cd score.....only for the fact that Gergiev had involvement with the conducting of it and also that (I await the backlash for this one) it's very good.

Klaus Badelt actually isn't a bad composer. He never does the typical action film like the rest of the RCP group.

I've a soft spot for Russian music. It's the only score of his I've enjoyed. The rest is a waste of material.

Rescue Dawn, The Time Machine, Ned Kelly, The Promise, The Pledge, and K-19 are all above your average RCP score.

The Time Machine is especially bad