SUPERMAN (1978) - Live-to-Projection Concert

SyncMan

• 4 months later...

I've had the idea of planning another visit to London for one of those great concerts scheduled for next October. Well, now even that I don't see happening... :mellow:

We were planning as well, timed to hit all 3 amazing concerts (Superman, ROTJ, Matrix).  Now, who knows!

• 3 months later...
On 10/1/2019 at 9:45 AM, SyncMan said:

Gosh darn, you blokes! ;)

Royal Philharmonic Orchestra at the RAH, October 27th, 2020

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2020/superman-in-concert/

Priority Booking for Royal Albert Hall Friends & Patrons opens at 10am on October 2nd, 2019

Tickets go on general sale at 10am on Friday, October 4, 2019

Postponed!

RAH-Superman.png

Prior to the pandemic, I was planning on returning to London this year to attend at least 3 out of these 5 concerts coming to RAH this fall

Oct 2/3 Fellowship of the Ring LTP
Oct 23-25 Return of the Jedi LTP
Oct 28 Superman LTP
Oct 27 The Matrix LTP
Oct 30 Final Fantasy VII Remake

What an astonishing lineup!  I'm sure all will be postponed/canceled now

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A comment from Citi Light Concerts in their October 18, 2020 post of their Facebook page, confirms that this concert version will have no live voices, but the 'choir' will be coming from a synthesizer.

"There won't be a choir involved in Superman – in Concert. Again, because there are only very few passages with vocal parts. Vocal parts in "Destruction of Krypton" (distantly adult choir) and "The Fortress of Solitude" (eerie, high female voices) will be featured on a synthesizer."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/22/2020 at 7:10 AM, SyncMan said:

Rescheduled for January 15, 2021.  Only KKL is doing one show instead of the 2 that was originally scheduled for May 2020.

https://www.citylightconcerts.ch/event/superman-in-concert-kklluzern/

Post Poned.pngPostponed!  No date announced.

«Superman» – in Concert (kkl-luzern.ch)

In the remaining half of the end credits for ‘Superman’, the ‘Love theme from Superman’ cue was used with some micro-edits. Mike M. said in the FSM forum that this cue won’t be played at the LTP concert.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=124036&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=11&r=227#bottom

So, what are they going to do after the Superman march finishes… let the credits continue to roll upward without music until it finishes?

The production company handling this concert, Film Concerts Live, did this in the early performances of the ‘Jurassic Park’ LTP concert where a shorter piece of music for the end credits sequence was used. However, in later performances, the speed of the credits, rolling upward, was slightly faster so that it would end just as the new music ends. This was also done with the LTP concert of ‘SW:TFA’. 

The only other time that I've seen FCL have the ending portion of a movie's end credits go without music was in the 2018 world premiere of their production, 'Jurassic World-In Concert.' However, in that instance, composer Michael Giacchino and director Colin Treverrow came on stage and did some talking while the musicians disassembled.

With that one cue gone from the ‘Superman’ LTP concert, the duration of the end credits roll-up would have to be half the speed of the film version to fit the length of, even, the original end credits arrangement of the Superman march (the one that ended up being used in the film’s opening credits). One option would be to speed-up the name rolling. My concern is that by doing it that way, the names would whiz by so fast that the audience would not be able to read them. I’ve seen this done on movies being broadcast on TV. This practice would look silly on a large theatre screen.

To experiment with this idea, I made a video where I did the following:

• Made a music track using the opening portion of the main title march, an ample portion of the end title march, and the ending portion of the main title march with the ‘swell and the crash’, in that order. Basically, I used the album track, ‘Theme from Superman’ for my music track. (For a better understanding of the recorded versions of the march and how they are used in the finished film, go to pages 58-59 of the blue-bounded book from FSM’s ‘Superman – The Music’ CD set. You still have it, right?)
  • A portion of the film’s closing-credits that is sped-up to finish at the end of the music.

As I was watching my video on my 42-inch screen TV, I think that FCL might pull this off, short of making a slightly longer duration of the end-credits sequence and have JW write new music for it.

What do you think?

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2020 at 11:31 AM, GlastoEls said:

Royal Albert Hall moved to Saturday 27 March 2021.

Cancelled.

New date:

Royal Albert Hall - Friday, July 16, 2021

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2021/superman-in-concert/

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

Doesn’t July seem a bit to soon for this anyway, a bit too optimistic?

I am very optimistic that the situation in the UK will have improved sufficiently by then for the concert to go ahead in July.  The vaccination programme in the UK is going very well at the moment and if it continues as it is now, most of the adult population of the country will have been vaccinated by then.  Most of my colleagues at work will have been vaccinated by the end of this month, for example.

There is also optimism that the Euro 2020 (now 2021) matches will go ahead in June (several group games, both semi-finals and the final are scheduled to take place in London) and this will be a bellwether for other mass attendance events in London.  Keep an eye out for the announcement of the 2021 BBC Proms programme - usually in April - which will run from mid-July to mid-September.  If that goes ahead, expect this to go ahead too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So how does one enter the UK? What are the restrictions currently?

A google search tells me there’s a 10 day quarantine when you arrive from abroad. That makes it practically impossible to travel there and attend the concert for an extended weekend.

Anyone else having the same issues?

On 5/6/2021 at 6:45 PM, rough cut said:

So how does one enter the UK? What are the restrictions currently?

A google search tells me there’s a 10 day quarantine when you arrive from abroad. That makes it practically impossible to travel there and attend the concert for an extended weekend.

Anyone else having the same issues?

Form which country would you be travelling, @rough cut?  Fingers crossed it's the Faroe Islands, St. Helena or Ascension Island!

Today the UK government announced a 'traffic light' system for arrivals from overseas.  There are currently twelve 'green list' countries from which arrivals will not have to quarantine, in addition to the existing arrangements with our friends from Ireland.  Arrivals from all other countries are required to quarantine for ten days, either at home (for amber list countries) or at a government-specified hotel (for red list countries).  The system is reviewed every three weeks, so bear in mind that things could have changed for the better or worse by July.  There is a £10,000 fine for breaking quarantine rules, just so you know.

Incidentally, the Royal Albert Hall is planning to have audiences at full capacity from 6th July, subject to government guidelines, which would be great.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 6:19 AM, SyncMan said:

Sup Temp.png

KKL Luzern, Switzerland 

Citi Light Symphony Orchestra, Anthony Gabriele, conductor

New Date:

June 4th, 2021

«Superman» – in Concert | City Light Concerts

Postponed, again.

https://www.citylightconcerts.ch/konzerte/

I wonder if Film Concerts Live will make the RAH postpone their date.  Citi Lights Concerts has promoted themselves as the one who will do the 'World Premiere' of this concert.  Maybe they paid extra to FCL to make sure they get that 'world premiere' credit.

On 5/7/2021 at 9:08 PM, Omen II said:

Incidentally, the Royal Albert Hall is planning to have audiences at full capacity from 6th July, subject to government guidelines, which would be great.

Great news for people who will be going!

• 3 weeks later...

Another reason why I’m wondering whether the RAH may consider canceling this concert is because there’s still plenty of seats left to sell for this show.  This is a screenshot I made this morning.

RAH.png

As you can see, there’s still some orchestra seats left and plenty of tier seats available.

I was thinking that tickets holders for ‘Supes – In Concert’ from KKL-Luzern, Switzerland would come down to the UK and fill those seats up, since their show was cancelled, but it would be a hassle for them, despite the one-hour-plus train ride.  According to Gov.uk...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england

…they would have to make a 10-day quarantine stay.  Wasting money on a trip to another country all to spend 10 days indoors for a one-night event doesn’t sound attractive. 

If the RAH were to do the show as scheduled, they may not make the money back from the cost of putting on this concert.  In America, amphitheater venues, held outdoors, aren’t booking L2P concerts this summer because they still need to provide social-distancing for the audience.  Less audience equals less money.  Because of the cost that these venues have to pay for these L2P rentals…

On 1/15/2016 at 10:50 PM, ricsim88 said:

Apparently those guys wanted $60k for us to do Home alone...and that was before paying the orchestra and other production costs...not cheap

…the venues won’t make back the cost of producing them as a result of less attendance.

I think that is the main reason why the RAH would postpone this concert and not because Film Concerts Live (FCL) will make them do it, so that the KKL-Luzern will keep their ‘world premiere’ credit.

• 5 weeks later...

Supes Tempt.png

KKL Luzern, Switzerland 

New Date:

Friday, January 28, 2022

The description reads that it will be the 'world premiere', so the RAH will have to schedule this after January 28th.

On 7/15/2021 at 12:00 PM, SyncMan said:

Supes Tempt.png

KKL Luzern, Switzerland 

New Date:

Friday, January 28, 2022

The description reads that it will be the 'world premiere', so the RAH will have to schedule this after January 28th.

The Royal Albert Hall performance has now been rescheduled to 25th June 2022.

Thanks for reporting that, @Omen II.

Wondering if any orchestra in the world can still put 'Superman' on after January, or do they have to wait until after June when the RAH is finished with it?

Here in the USA and Canada, there are still a few orchestras that haven't posted their new year's schedule of concerts so I'm wondering if these orchestras will put 'Superman' on during the later Winter/early Spring '22?

3 hours ago, Omen II said:

The Royal Albert Hall performance has now been rescheduled to 25th June 2022.

Right in the middle of Glastonbury for that mud/film music crossover audience!

13 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

Right in the middle of Glastonbury for that mud/film music crossover audience!

They could take the show on Tor.

I am available for weddings, funerals and batmitzvahs.

On 7/22/2021 at 7:20 AM, Omen II said:

They could take the show on Tor.

I am available for weddings, funerals and batmitzvahs.

Ha, that’s a… worthy… joke! Boom boom!

• 3 months later...

I have a theory as to why no other orchestra in the world, outside of Switzerland and the UK, is booking Superman…and it is not because they don’t want to do it.

The Citi Light Symphony Orchestra probably paid extra to FCL, the rental company that created the concert, to make sure that no other orchestra does this concert before they do.  So any orchestra that wants to use this rental would have to schedule it after the time that Citi Light finishes with it, which as it stands now is after January 28, 2022. 

If it were the pre-pandemic days, we would now see orchestras have dates for ‘Superman’ from January 28th until, at least, the end of 2022. But since the COVID hasn’t ended yet and Citi Light has postponed this concert 3 times due to health concerns, I’m thinking that the other orchestras are waiting until after Citi Light's January 28th performance to start booking it.  If the other orchestras had started scheduling the concert now and that Swiss orchestra had to postpone it again, then those other orchestras would also have to postpone and reschedule at a time after Citi Light's new performance date.  The other orchestras do not want to go through another period, again, where they have to disappoint patrons and beg them to not ask for refunds on their ticket prices.  I’m sure these orchestras have lost enough money.

Maybe someone who is more experienced in the orchestra-administrative end, like @PoggoAOTS can weigh in on this.

• 1 month later...
On 15/11/21 at 1:28 PM, SyncMan said:

Maybe someone who is more experienced in the orchestra-administrative end, like @PoggoAOTS can weigh in on this.

Yeah it’s certainly possible to sign an exclusivity clause for a premiere or similar. And that *might* mean that other orchestras are having to wait. 

But I think it is far more likely that orchestras everywhere are struggling to stay in business AND have almost 2 seasons of rescheduling to get through first. Even after that the film concerts are hugely expensive. So much so that you sort of need to guarantee full capacities to make them work. If you get heavily restricted houses you’re gonna lose piles of money, at a time when orchestras are already hurting. 

So combine a backlog of reschedules, alongside ongoing Covid restrictions/uncertainty (increased risk) AND the outside chance of an exclusive premiere thing and those are your main reasons (if not the only reasons). 

• 5 weeks later...

Postponed.

Expected new date: April 2022

Due to the current pandemic situation and the associated challenges and uncertainties regarding the implementation of projects with symphony orchestra, this concert has been postponed in consultation with all partners involved. The new date is expected to be in April 2022. Updates will follow as soon as possible.  Tickets already purchased for this concert remain valid for the following postponement date.

Thank you for your understanding. 

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at tickets@citylightconcerts.ch.

• 2 weeks later...

In the latest episode of Maurizio's The Legacy of John Williams podcast, Mike Matessino talks a bit about the upcoming Superman: Live to Projection concert, including the revelation that it was briefly discussed to include a sung version of Can You Read My Mind for the concerts, before deciding to just use the spoken version like the film does

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2022/01/29/remembering-leslie-bricusse/

The Superman: Live To Projection mention is about 1 hour, 27 minutes in, but the entire episode is well worth a listen!

First of all...

On 01/02/2022 at 4:25 PM, Jay said:

In the latest episode of Maurizio's The Legacy of John Williams podcast, Mike Matessino talks a bit about the upcoming Superman: Live to Projection concert, including the revelation that it was briefly discussed to include a sung version of Can You Read My Mind for the concerts, before deciding to just use the spoken version like the film does

...thank god for that.

Secondly, we found out about the LTP concert in Aug 2019 and Richard Donner passed away in July 2021.  I am wondering if he had any involvement in the preparation of this LTP concert, like giving approval for having any music for scenes that were unscored in the film's final-sound mix.

Lastly, new confirmed date for the world premiere 'Superman' LTP concert in Switzerland - Friday, April 29, 2022.

«Superman» – in Concert | City Light Concerts

22 minutes ago, SyncMan said:

we found out about the LTP concert in Aug 2019 and Richard Donner passed away in July 2021.  I am wondering if he had any involvement in the preparation of this LTP concert, like giving approval for having any music for scenes that were unscored in the film's final-sound mix.

Yes, the podcast episode I mentioned specifically discusses Donner's involvement with the LTP concert. 

• 1 month later...

Mike M. said this in the FSM forums under this thread

FYI we did put back in some of the dialed out Superman music for the concert, not all of it, sorry to say. BUT it will be Williams' intended "Main Title" and the film will play with the original audio, not the remix.