SUPERMAN (1978) - Live-to-Projection Concert

SyncMan

I saw the movie for the first time about three weeks ago. And there I realized, that this cartoonish overacting way of presenting the superhero villains was nothing invented by Tim Burton with his Batman movie. It was already invented in Donner's Superman. And the movie relies too much on the special effects. Everything that is actually funny in this movie seems unintentionally. It works better as a parody than as an actual superhero movie, but also not very well in that department. But I better stop here by saying: THE SCORE IS STILL GREAT.

This film still has more heart than any other other superhero movie to this day! Chris reeve and margo kidder have fantastic chemistry. Both as Clark and Lois and Superman and lois. 

Like all things, I think you have to see a movie through a lens of the time of when it was released.

If anyone went into Superman The Movie expecting to see Avengers Endgame, I can see that person getting disappointed. But - and I don’t mean this to be rude - that would be a naive opinion.

Superman is what it is - a big budget and serious attempt (in spite of Lex & Otis’ goofy relationship!) of a flying man in blue tights with a heart of gold and a kick ass score - and it carries the mark of its time with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Raffle of ticket give-a-away.

278609964_1320338531789668_6683619844178

SUPERMAN» AT THE KKL LUZERN – EASTER RAFFLE! 
Happy Easter, everyone! We are giving away 2 x 2 tickets for world premiere live-to-projection performance of «Superman» on Friday, 29 April 2022, 7.30 pm, at the KKL Luzern. Send us the correct answer to the following question in the subject line of your e-mail to quiz@citylightconcerts.ch and you will participate in the competition. Deadline for entries is Monday, 18 April 2022.
Question: From which planet does Superman come? 
a) Hello
b) Krypton
c) Volcano
d) Tattoos
We look forward to your e emails. The winners will be notified by email on Tuesday, 19 April 2022. Good luck!
Further information and tickets: www.citylightconcerts.ch/konzerte

Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/CityLightConcerts/posts/1320342281789293

City Light Concerts is going to have a world-wide lynch-mob before them if this concert doesn't go on April 29th.

12 hours ago, crocodile said:

"Tattoos"? "Hello"? 🤔

Karol

Perhaps the only purpose is to weed out bots.

That's wonderful! I am so used to live performances that omit those precious extra bars of the ostinato build up.  Of all the live to projection so far, I think this one is the one I want to hear most.  Looking forward to some US dates announced.

Thank you @TownerFan. I have a huge backlog of your podcasts to listen to. Sometimes life gets in the way. This reminds me to dive back into it.

So pumped for London concert in June (not that I wasn't earlier). :)

Karol

22 hours ago, Michael G. said:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cc3OHKbJL-r/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link 

The trumpets are still a bit messy in places, but I love it either way:lovethis:

So do I. There's a damn good reason why SUPERMAN is my second favourite JW score.

Great podcasts, @TownerFan !  

Great tease at the end by MM!  Can't wait to see what's coming out later this year!  I didn't realize he spent 8 months on Star Trek, hopefully that'll clear up his backlog  ;)

Listened to both parts of the podcast and boy am I hyped!  And dates in my country haven’t even been announced. 

I’m ashamed to confess, I’ve somehow never attended a concert to projection showing! Mike mentioned most of the “big draw” JW films have been done.  Does that include Temple of Doom?  Because I’d die to see an orchestra attempt that one with the pace, nonstop action, exotic percussion, etc. 

Regardless, this was the podcast I didn’t know I needed to motivate me to make more of an effort to see some of these, and Superman for certain 

46 minutes ago, Andy said:

Mike mentioned most of the “big draw” JW films have been done.  Does that include Temple of Doom?  

Nope.  The Williams-scored films that have LTP concerts are

CineConcerts:

1. Harry Potter 1
  2. Harry Potter 2
  3. Harry Potter 3

Disney Concerts:

1. Star Wars
  2. Empire Strikes Back
  3. Return of the Jedi
  4. The Force Awakens
  5. The Last Jedi

Film Concerts Live:

1. Jaws
  2. Close Encounters
  3. Superman
  4. ET
  5. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  6. Home Alone
  7. Jurassic Park

Because I’d die to see an orchestra attempt that one with the pace, nonstop action, exotic percussion, etc. 

That would be a dream come true for me, personally!

Regardless, this was the podcast I didn’t know I needed to motivate me to make more of an effort to see some of these, and Superman for certain 

Everyone I've seen has been great!

Mike did mention that Last Crusade was a title that was being considered.  I suppose Temple of Doom is prohibitively complex and challenging for live to projection?  It was interesting hearing about the running time constraints and specific intermission needs for the orchestra players. 

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Mike did mention that Last Crusade was a title that was being considered.  I suppose Temple of Doom is prohibitively complex and challenging for live to projection?  It was interesting hearing about the running time constraints and specific intermission needs for the orchestra players. 

Not to mention the whole dinner scene etc. controversy

I'm almost in tears watching that.  Thank you for posting it.  So interesting to hear the orchestra work through micro edits.  It looks just joyous to be part of it.

watching that has just blown my mind! Just looked brilliant. And that incredible score.  What a masterpiece and a masterclass in film scoring!  I have a little tear in my eye after that.

17 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; there is a damn good reason why SUPERMAN is my second favourite JW score.

What is your first?