SUPERMAN (1978) - Live-to-Projection Concert

SyncMan

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder if any musical reinstatements are in store?

If I could only attend one LTP in my life it would be a toss up between this and SW.

Sadly I doubt I will ever see one.

29 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Wonder if any musical reinstatements are in store?

Indeed, they are!  You can hear Mike Matessino discuss the project with @TownerFan and @mahler3 here!

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2022/04/28/superman-in-concert-podcast-special-pt2/

And read a review of it here:

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2022/05/03/superman-in-concert-review/

On 03/05/2022 at 12:17 PM, TownerFan said:

an exclusive video featuring exceprts of the dress rehearsal produced by The Legacy of John Williams.

I finally had a chance to watch this video - thanks for filming and sharing it, it's really cool!

• 3 weeks later...

Brilliant experience so far, probably the best at the RAH I have experienced yet (and in have experienced quite a few, missing only E.T. and Jurassic park which I have ticked elsewhere).

I spotted missing high notes in the brass chords when they raise after the brief repetition of the same not just before the end of the main theme, during the helicopter sequence (I appreciate this may not be 100% clear, will try to get it clarified as soon as I can), I thought it was due to my position but everything has been fine in any other main theme statement so far: maybe a score transcription issue?

8 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Wha'? :o

When did the orchestra stop playing?

Superman flies off the screen and it segues into the title card. The music transitions instantly to the very end of credits.

Karol

I saw Star Trek 2009 and the pretty much did the same thing.

Thing was, the credits kept going, and you could hear the isolated choir stems at certain points 🤣

12 hours ago, crocodile said:

No end credits? That's a first.

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Wha'? :o

When did the orchestra stop playing?

12 hours ago, crocodile said:

Superman flies off the screen and it segues into the title card. The music transitions instantly to the very end of credits.

Karol

I'm afraid it's true, mate.

This Facebook post has a video in the comments.

15 hours ago, crocodile said:

Both Anthony Gabriele and Mike Matessino addressed this aspect in their respective interviews they gave to The Legacy of JW. The decision was to avoid getting into overtime for orchestra musicians (it's already a very long show)

16 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Both Anthony Gabriele and Mike Matessino addressed this aspect in their respective interviews they gave to The Legacy of JW. The decision was to avoid getting into overtime for orchestra musicians (it's already a very long show)

To be honest, people tend to walk put during credits anyway. And it does work in any case as it us mostly a reprise of what we hear in the opening anyway. It is one of the best live scores concert I've been to - right up there with original Star Wars and E.T. Absolutely exhilirating. :)

Karol

I have not seen a LTP yet.  If Superman comes near me, I will see it for sure.   That sounds amazing. 

@Omen II I love your trading card story.   I hope you’ll get a kick out of these pics. 

1342A800-270E-44DF-B9E7-970CA47DB177.jpeg

CB19AA6D-04E7-4DC0-9BAB-3D841BE74AB2.jpeg

735C7B30-D4DD-45C4-A29E-123ABF4BD225.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Andy said:

I have not seen a LTP yet.  If Superman comes near me, I will see it for sure.   That sounds amazing. 

@Omen II I love your trading card story.   I hope you’ll get a kick out of these pics. 

1342A800-270E-44DF-B9E7-970CA47DB177.jpeg

CB19AA6D-04E7-4DC0-9BAB-3D841BE74AB2.jpeg

735C7B30-D4DD-45C4-A29E-123ABF4BD225.jpeg

Ha!  You’ve made my day - those were the very cards!  I don’t know what happened to them but I wish I’d kept them.

Aside from Soundtracks, those gum cards were instrumental in reliving the movie experience at home.  They were ubiquitous, made for every movie and tv show you could think of.  So great in the era before home video. 

Can any of you that attended recall what music-cue was used for the opening of Act Two--if there was any opening-music at all?

1 hour ago, SyncMan said:

Can any of you that attended recall what music-cue was used for the opening of Act Two--if there was any opening-music at all?

It was a brief abridged reprise of segments from The Helicopter Sequence - Clark changing into Superman, love theme as he catches Lois and ending on the bit where he puts the helicopter back on the landing pad.

Karol

I completely understand the reasons behind the need to curtail the end titles (it was quite late when the film finished) but it would have been really nice to hear the concert version of the Love Theme as an encore.  It would have rounded things off nicely.

It would.  But listening to Maurizio's podcast with the conductor, you really get an appreciation (as I'm sure you get seeing it live), of the remarkable work put forth by the players to sustain this level of playing, with pauses dictated only by the film, with only one break.  It's pretty astonishing they are able to do what they do.  Yeah, those rules are in place to make the whole thing possible and reasonable for the orchestra.

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

I am so happy to have been able to attend. Although I’ve heard “The Superman March” performed live a couple of times (always a treat), I never would have dared to dream that I’d have the privilege of hearing “The Planet Krypton”, “The Trip To Earth”, “Growing Up”, “Leaving Home”, “The Flying Sequence” and “The March Of The Villains” performed live. It was an actual dream come true.

"The March of the Villains" was a concert piece for the OST album.  At what point in the concert did it play that?  Or did you mean to say the "Lex Luthor's Lair" track for the sequence where the police detectives were tailing Otis?

I appreciate your clarifying that, @rough cut

For that sequence of the detectives tailing Otis, was there music over the entire sequence at the concert? (You don't have to respond, rough cut, if you don't want to.  Anyone else who attended the concert can respond.)

I’m asking because in both the theatrical cut and the director’s extended cut, the music fades-out over this shot…

Figure1.png

…and reappears about 2 minutes later over this shot...

Figure 2.png
Also, Mike M. said that there will be some music restored exclusively for this concert so I was wondering if that sequence was one of them.

22 hours ago, SyncMan said:

I appreciate your clarifying that, @rough cut

For that sequence of the detectives tailing Otis, was there music over the entire sequence at the concert? (You don't have to respond, rough cut, if you don't want to.  Anyone else who attended the concert can respond.)

I’m asking because in both the theatrical cut and the director’s extended cut, the music fades-out over this shot…

Figure1.png

…and reappears about 2 minutes later over this shot...

Figure 2.png
Also, Mike M. said that there will be some music restored exclusively for this concert so I was wondering if that sequence was one of them.

Hmm my impression was that it plays all the way through it. But I can be wrong.

EDIT: Maurizio already answered. :)

Karol

On 27/06/2022 at 6:54 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

When did the interval occur?

On 27/06/2022 at 8:03 AM, rough cut said:

The intermission was right after Superman saved Airforce One.

43 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

So... where was the interval?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 26/06/2022 at 6:13 AM, crocodile said:

To be honest, people tend to walk put during credits anyway.

When I saw The Empire Strikes Back that baffled me. Those tickets ain't cheap and you're leaving while the music is still playing? Who DOES that?

Also in the case of Superman that means you don't get the end credits version of the Love Theme.

I'm delighted everyone had such a great time though.

• 1 month later...

American Youth Symphony Orchestra. Carlos Izcaray, Conductor

Royce Hall at UCLA. Los Angeles, CA. Saturday, November 5th 2022 at 4pm

Tickets go on sale September 27th 2022

https://www.aysymphony.org/14-annual-hollywood-project-concert-2022/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...