It's official: The Lord of the Rings is the world's favourite movie trilogy

Quintus

Lord of the Rings has the overall better films, better stories, better production etc., but the entertainment and larger legacy, I feel, goes to Star Wars. 

As for trying to choose which scores...

giphy (2).gif

STAR WARS would win for both score and film, but love LOTR too (although obviously not on the level of a great many members here).

22 minutes ago, Arpy said:

As for trying to choose which scores...

It's easy: SW.

29 minutes ago, Thor said:

STAR WARS would win for both score and film, but love LOTR too (although obviously not on the level of a great many members here).

Both SW and FotR are great films!

15 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

A little high strung, are we? Geez sorry.

Not at all, actually. Any reason why you’re trying to start with me right now?

Go play with your LEGOs or something. 

19 minutes ago, Romão said:

I have a strong dislike for several parts of the LOTR trilogy. And all 6 of Jackson's Middle-Earth movies became worse as they went along

Only three of them exist in my universe though.

9 minutes ago, Dieter Stark said:

Does Netflix even have either of these series?

It's had the Abrams era 'Wars movies.

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Only three of them exist in my universe though.

The Hobbit ones are fine enough as big blockbuster fantasy films I suppose, but they're completely redundant and cant hold a candle to LOTR.

1 minute ago, Dieter Stark said:

Indiana Jones is the best trilogy.

Quadrilogy.

Corny snow motion, bad color grading, bad green screen, silly heroic moments, cheesy one liners...I could go on and on. The series was at its best during the first hour of FOTR. It never reached those heights again

I'll give you an example:

When Gandalf approaches Theoden, and Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli kick the guards ass in the background...it's just so silly and cringy 

21 minutes ago, Romão said:

bad color grading, bad green screen

Well of course there's a couple wonky shots in those 11 hours I can think of off the top of my head, but for a nearly scratch-built local VFX studio in 1999-2004, working from not that huge a budget, they still look fantastic. The blurays can go to hell for that green tint on Fellowship EE.

For slowmo, I only have a problem with those crappy choppy low framerate ones, most prominent in Fellowship I think.

Silly heroic moments and cheesy one-liners... it's one of the last relics of the 90s, before 911 changed it all.

There are Hobbitesque problems rearing there heads by the end, but overall I think we can salute PJ for mostly successfully restraining himself from being himself out of respect for the material!

A proper classic trilogy!

55 minutes ago, Romão said:

Corny snow motion, bad color grading, bad green screen, silly heroic moments, cheesy one liners...I could go on and on. The series was at its best during the first hour of FOTR. It never reached those heights again

I'll give you an example:

When Gandalf approaches Theoden, and Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli kick the guards ass in the background...it's just so silly and cringy 

Honestly, these are not "flaws". They are just things you don't like. There's a difference. 

Well, we're probably just discussing semantics, but I would rephrase by saying the LOTR movie trilogy is filled of things I don't like, stylistic touches that IMHO create awkward tonal shifts that go strongly against the spirit of Tolkien's writing :)