James Bond is better than everything

Jay

Skyfall has the odd minor issue, but they're nothing against CR's pacing problems and Bond behaving like a petulant teenager at times (which might've 'flew' if Henry Cavill had been cast, but with the late-30s Craig? Nah). 

• 2 months later...

Pierce Brosnan, a well-respected former James Bond here at JWFan, thinks the next James Bond should be either Idris Elba or Tom Hardy.

piercebrosnanjamesbondpicks.png

Personally, I still don't understand the Tom Hardy option. I feel he only can play villains or vile characters. 

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Can we please please please stop giving Bond to bloody auteurs?!  Get some great TV director without a pretentious ego.

To be honest, doesn't matter who the director is as long as Wade and Purvis are writing the script. I think they are holding back all the directors. 

5 hours ago, Mephariel said:

To be honest, doesn't matter who the director is as long as Wade and Purvis are writing the script. I think they are holding back all the directors. 

I agree.  20 years is too long.

• 2 weeks later...

I very much enjoyed the latest FYEO episode on Living Daylights @lairdo.  TLD has long been both my favorite Bond score and my favorite Bond song, but I know I'm the only person in the world that loves the song that much so I wasn't surprised or offended when y'all clearly ran a little cold on it :lol:.  I'm just glad that Barry was able to exit the series with one of his very best after the "just ok" Octopussy and VTAK (IMO of course, I know the latter is a well-loved score by many).

On 09/10/2021 at 2:48 AM, Disco Stu said:

Can we please please please stop giving Bond to bloody auteurs?!  Get some great TV director without a pretentious ego.

Martin Campbell, perhaps? :)

11 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I very much enjoyed the latest FYEO episode on Living Daylights @lairdo.  TLD has long been both my favorite Bond score and my favorite Bond song, but I know I'm the only person in the world that loves the song that much so I wasn't surprised or offended when y'all clearly ran a little cold on it :lol:.  I'm just glad that Barry was able to exit the series with one of his very best after the "just ok" Octopussy and VTAK (IMO of course, I know the latter is a well-loved score by many).

You're not alone, Stu. It's my favourite Bond song and score, since 1987, and TLD is a top-5 Bond film, for me.

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

You're not alone, Stu. It's my favourite Bond song and score, since 1987, and TLD is a top-5 Bond film, for me.

Plus I also love both Pretenders songs, particularly how well they are used in the underscore.  Barry really hit it out of the park.

• 3 months later...

I understand why from a marketing perspective, but it's become this thing where a new Bond movie has to be this big portentous event.  The Craig movies, especially his last three, have this feeling of a grand dramatic weight on them to be Important.  It's frustrating, they need to find a setup where every 2-3 years they're just cranking out fun, light-but-not-too-light, spy thrillers with sex, fun gadgets, cool cars, and suave masculinity.

And of course, fun scores!

18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

they need to find a setup where every 2-3 years they're just cranking out fun, light-but-not-too-light, spy thrillers with sex, fun gadgets, cool cars, and suave masculinity.

Yes please!

Isn't this light fun british secret agent action movies corner already covered by "The Kingsmen" franchise?

In the meantime they have even Ralph Fiennes as head of secret service there, too.

I mean, in all of these secret agent action franchises the Craig Bonds managed to be special and in many ways better than the rest. He became serious when every body else was imitating the old Bond.

I see the danger of the next Bond becoming like all the other secret agent franchises. But let's see.

5 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I mean, in all of these secret agent action franchises the Craig Bonds managed to be special and in many ways better than the rest. He became serious when every body else was imitating the old Bond.

Especially the Sam Mendes ones, but I heard that some people here dislike those because they don't want auteurs making Bond.

Oh PLEASE!

The younguns will all say Craig.

The ones with TASTE will all say Connery.

And FART will say Dalton 😅

Set the next series in.the Sixties.

Make Bond a SPY again, not an action hero.

Cast Tom Weston-Jones

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I listened to an album called "The Best of the James Bond Themes" by "Starlite Orchestra and Singers"

Very funnily, it consists of two CDs each in their own completely separate jewel case, inside an outer sleeve.... even though the combined running time of both discs is only 71 minutes, which is not only way under the 80 minute limit almost every manufacturer used for most of the CD's lifetime, it's always well under the 74 minute limit that existed when CDs first came out.  What a waste of plastic to present it this way.....

starlite1.jpg

starlite2.jpg

Anyways, it's a pretty interesting release.  Obviously, many of the songs are not a patch on the terrific original versions, but this album isn't attempting to make superior versions or anything.  The album covers the films from the first 30 years just like the last album I mentioned - though this one also includes Never Say Never Again which I have never seen and never heard any music from before - and there's actually something kind of nice about re-recording all the songs with the same group of people.  So despite the various different styles and types of singers they've had over those 30 years, there's a bit of conformity realized when presenting them all together done by the same group.  There's a bunch of score cuts recorded too.

Not a must-have and not extremely important, but a nice curiosity to check out if you can track it down for a few bucks

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Is there any rare, or unreleased music, on this, Jay?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Has the "barn fight" music, from GOLDFINGER been released, in any form?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 5 weeks later...

Next Friday, Amazon Prime here in Brazil will add to its catalogue almost all the Bond movies except for NTTD. It'll be my chance to binge them, as I have seen very few 007 movies in my life (basically just the ones with Daniel Craig and parts of the Brosnan flicks).

On 01/04/2022 at 12:26 PM, Disco Stu said:

I guarantee you're going to hate the ones I love and love the ones I hate

Do you love Die Another Day? I'm pretty sure I'm going hate it.

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Do you love Die Another Day? I'm pretty sure I'm going hate it.

Well... maybe not love, I certainly have affection for it after all these years.  I have a lot of affection for basically all the pre-Craig Bond films, but especially Moore, Dalton, and the first two Brosnans.

It's among the more kitsch of Bond films, but I've got a sneaky regard, for DIE ANOTHER DAY. Yes, it has some of the worst effects you'll ever see, but it's got a great pre-title sequence, and the score (especially the sword fight) is top notch.

Was at an oft-rescheduled (it was originally meant to happen the same weekend as No Time To Die's originally scheduled UK release, so that's 2 years ago) Ulster Orchestra Bond concert last night. 

Here's what was played -

With vocals -

From Russia With Love
Goldfinger
Thunderball
You Only Live Twice
We Have All The Time In The World
Diamonds Are Forever
Live And Let Die
The Man With The Golden Gun
Nobody Does It Better
For Your Eyes Only
A View To A Kill
The Living Daylights
Licence To Kill
Another Way To Die
Skyfall
No Time To Die (considerably better when it's fully sung rather than half-mumbled)

Instrumental versions -

Moonraker
You Know My Name
The Writing's On The Wall

Others -

James Bond Theme
Capsule In Space (from YOLT)
Ski Chase (from OHMSS)
Medley (Thunderball, FRWL, GF)

Not a note from any of the Brosnans ... no idea why there wasn't. Goldeneye and The World Is Not Enough would've been welcome ... ah well.

Was nice to have the YOLT and OHMSS pieces in there, not something you'd necessarily usually get at this sort of thing. Appropriately enough given recent product placement in the franchise, I had a pint of Heineken during the first half and then a glass of Pinot Grigio during the second (admittedly cannot recall if Bond has ever specifically drank same, hehehe).

Paul Verhoeven wants to see Daniel Craig's ding dong.

Paul Verhoeven Says New Bond Movies Like ‘No Time to Die’ Are Sexless: ‘There Was Always Sex’ in Classic Bond

"Sexuality has been moved out of movies," the "Showgirls" and "Basic Instinct" director said, singling out Marvel and today's 007 movies for being especially sexless.

15 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

He's right ... in a settled relationship, and later in the movie finding out he's a father? That's not Bond, FFS. 

He didn't say, being in a settled relationship or being a father is sexless (And I would disagree to that). He just said, they don't have sex anymore on screen.