OBI-WAN KENOBI (Disney+ series)

Hamill couldn't come to terms with the fact that he is a has-been. A washed up nobody now resorting to supporting side roles in direct to video cartoons.

He can't suddenly expect to be the lead star to the sequel to his one moment of glory. He never had much of a career and never will.

His youth is now a dim memory.

He and his fans should accept the reality - he is a side character in the ST in a subplot. Nothing more.

15 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Hamill couldn't come to terms with the fact that he is a has-been. A washed up nobody now resorting to supporting side roles in direct to video cartoons.

He can't suddenly expect to be the lead star to the sequel to his one moment of glory. He never had much of a career and never will.

His youth is now a dim memory.

He and his fans should accept the reality - he is a side character in the ST in a subplot. Nothing more.

Thank you for this!

He should be kissing Rian's feet for having been given a role so good in TLJ.

If it's going down to four episodes, why not just upgrade them to two movies instead? They're already pouring a ton of money into it already... squeeze that cash cow with a theatrical release, plus home video and that Disney+ subscription fee.

I mean, the "Walking Dead" Rick spinoff movie was originally going to air on AMC, but it'll be a feature film now. 

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

As voice actors go, Hamill's pretty successful. I don't think it's fair to call him washed up over that when it was a specific choice and he's consistently done like a million things a year for 30 years. His career's fine.

Mark Hamill has said many times throughout the years that he's always envisioned himself as a character actor, so landing the main character in this most-popular series was weird for him. Afterwards, it was very hard for people to divorce him from Luke Skywalker, so with voice acting, he found he was able to live out that desire to be the character actor he always wanted to be. Sounds pretty damn successful to me, especially if you see all the work he's gotten over the decades!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
18 hours ago, Edmilson said:

According to the rumors they'd appear in flashbacks, from Obi-Wan dealing with PTSD...

I don't know about this show anymore, I never wondered what Obi Wan was doing all those years. I don't understand this new obsession over exploiting every unexplained facet of Star Wars!

39 minutes ago, Arpy said:

According to the rumors they'd appear in flashbacks, from Obi-Wan dealing with PTSD...

Rumors are rumors, but when they sound that dumb, they are likely true. 

I really don't know what there is to tell about the retreat of Obi-Wan on Tatooine.

He seems not to have been in contact with the Rebels until Leia ask him to help her (like he served his father during the clone wars, she don't tell him "Help me like you did last summer"...).

And Vader never knew if Obi-Wan was still alive or not.

So you have an old Obi-Wan who try to hide himself from the whole galaxy, and you have a baby Luke who is playing with his little friends.

That sounds boring, no?

Disney will pull a new villain character from their Mickey Mouse hat?

What's this???

It's the same thing Lucasfilm has been doing for decades, including Obi-wan-specific novels and comic books and an appearance on Star Wars Rebels.  The only difference is now they're paying money to film it. 

I always thought it was a sacrifice Obi-Wan made to protect Luke on Tatooine, literally living his life as a hermit in an old house, just sitting there, waiting. There was something sad about that sacrifice and it made the time between RotS and ANH seem all the more daunting knowing he was just watching and waiting. 

Now he has PTSD, he had a secret wife, split personality, a drug addict, an alcoholic. Kills bounty hunters every other day. It's like, c'mon, does this add anything to Star Wars?

On 1/31/2020 at 3:16 PM, #SnowyVernalSpringsEternal said:

Still a billion+ movie.

It barely grossed out Aladdin and Toy Story 4 by a few thousand. Hooray. 

Aladdin, Toy Story 4, Captain Marvel, Frozen II, Spider-Man Far From Home, Lion King, Joker, all had as much or a lot more box office. In the same year. 

For a movie that cost 600 Million to make with all the ridiculous reshoots, and the conclusion to Star Wars, what a dud. It made barely 200.000 more than Venom. LOL

Let's look at other movies making the same or more as Episode IX:

Incredibles II, Black Panther, fucking Aquaman, all the revived corpses of Jurassic Park, Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle, Fate of the Furious, Despicable Me 3, Beauty and the Beast, Rogue One, Finding Dory, Zootopia, Furious 7, Minions, Transformers 73817, Transformers 718362, Despicable Me 2... 

With all the inflation, if your movie doesn't make close to a billion, you're irrelevant. 

Regardless of box office success or being a critical flop, TRoS wasn't irrelevant, the discussion it generated across the internet couldn't be missed.

3 hours ago, gkgyver said:

It barely grossed out Aladdin and Toy Story 4 by a few thousand. Hooray. 

Aladdin, Toy Story 4, Captain Marvel, Frozen II, Spider-Man Far From Home, Lion King, Joker, all had as much or a lot more box office. In the same year. 

For a movie that cost 600 Million to make with all the ridiculous reshoots, and the conclusion to Star Wars, what a dud. It made barely 200.000 more than Venom. LOL

Let's look at other movies making the same or more as Episode IX:

Incredibles II, Black Panther, fucking Aquaman, all the revived corpses of Jurassic Park, Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle, Fate of the Furious, Despicable Me 3, Beauty and the Beast, Rogue One, Finding Dory, Zootopia, Furious 7, Minions, Transformers 73817, Transformers 718362, Despicable Me 2... 

With all the inflation, if your movie doesn't make close to a billion, you're irrelevant. 

It was profitable for Disney, but with a smaller profit than both Sequel Trilogy movies before, because it costed more and made less.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-movie-profit-2019-lowest-for-lucasfilm-1202915179/

Endgame, Frozen 2, Lion King, Captain Marvel, Toy Story 4 and even fucking Aladdin made more profit for Disney than that.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/2019-movie-profits-top-films-avengers-endgame-russo-brothers-data-1202919361/

So yeah, it was a hit, but a smaller one than Disney hoped. They made money, but they were disappointed anyway.

16 hours ago, Arpy said:

Regardless of box office success or being a critical flop, TRoS wasn't irrelevant, the discussion it generated across the internet couldn't be missed.

It got enough chatter but I feel like it's already quickly becoming forgotten now that the shock value of its plot twists has worn off. It's just a punching bag but maybe that will serve it well in 15-20 years a la the prequels...make fun of anything that long and it eventually becomes affectionate. Even in terms of fan outrage, though, I feel like Rise of Skywalker is no Last Jedi. 

Yeah, TLJ definitely received a more shocking reception than TRoS. Looking back I think each film has received a dose of fan backlash in some form. 

TFA was a brilliant celebration of artists from all departments - from the practical effects to the CG.

It's sad to me because TFA was what Star Wars needed: a rejuvenation that rekindled the flame of the franchise. 

• 3 months later...