OBI-WAN KENOBI (Disney+ series)

13 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

It wouldve been neat if when Obiwan first saw Vader he said "Anakin?" as if he didnt want to admit it was Anakin inside the suit. then Vader could say "That name no longer has any meaning to me" calling back to the line in RotJ

Yeah, but that would require the writers having a baseline familiarity of Star Wars. Most people who work for Lucasfilm these days don't.

Believe me or not, but at first I didn't understand Obi-Wan's vision scene in the desert (Episode 3). Ok, maybe I should not watch Obi-Wan on my computer screen...

But for me it's a rookie mistake... You film in High Definition, oh, wow, it's hot.. But, geez, just re-edit this scene quickly and add a zoom shot on the face just for 2 seconds. Thanks.

Shawn sunglasses | Square sunglasses men, Sunglasses, Psych

4 hours ago, Fabulin said:

Why does Obi-wan in this show contradict his character from both earlier and later stories?

• more impulsive than he was in Episode I despite being close to the very patient Alec Guiness age Obi-wan.
  • constantly in a bad mood, whereas both Star Wars and prequel Kenobi found fun even in dire situations.
  • blurrting out the wrong name? General Kenobi?
  • can't catch Leia with the force when she does the toddler running away routine
  • has to be rescued by Leia because he cannot improvise a conversation with a farmer
  • generally has an IQ penalty equal to being drunk in relation to other Obi Wan portrayals

At least he can still use a gun and is good at unarmed combat.

Obi-Wan also contradict his character within the same episode too.

Spoiler

After being discovered by the Stormtroopers he kills them all and then less troopers come so he decides to surrender.

He refuses the farmer help because he can't trust someone he just met and then decide to let Leia go with an imperial officier he met less than a hour ago

He refuses to use his lightsaber prefering an "uncivilised" weapon while apparently everyone know that he's a Jedi and then decide to enlight it when there's no one around.

Obi-Wan is perfect in the series with all his contradictions. HE IS LOST.

Spoiler

In each Episode he calls His Master Qui Gon for help, he's totally lost.

Poor Ben! :crymore:

14 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Hide contents

I liked that part

32 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Reveal hidden contents

But he's closing himself to the Force so that can't really work :P

35 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I guess, these are the excercises that Yoda gave Obi-Wan to contact his old master: "Just cry out for him desperately you must, when your eyes closed you have."

S01E01 and E2 were ok. E03 though…

It all seems a bit stupid.

• Spoiler
    • Now that it is confirmed that Leia and/or Bail Organa is the link to Obi, wouldn’t they just go after them again and again to lure Obi out? (Pending Obi gets away at the end of the series…)
    • Obi seems rather inconsistently capable/incapable
    • If Vader was hell bent on killing Obi during their first encounter - dragging him through the fire with the force - why was he content just moments later seeing Obi being carried away instead of using the force again?

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

After being discovered by the Stormtroopers he kills them all and then less troopers come so he decides to surrender

As if obi Wan couldn't take out a squad of like 10 stormies

1 hour ago, greenturnedblue said:

As if obi Wan couldn't take out a squad of like 10 stormies

That's the Obi-wan from the prequels, our Obi-wan has clearly fallen far from his best. 

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

Spoiler

It is clear that Vader don't want to kill Obi-Wan fast.

He wants to make him suffer as he suffered.

He let him go.

That's funnier like this.

Then he'd get picked up on sensors. Or some crap.

(Just my stupid idiotic defense of the indefensible.)

Why do they keep putting Obi-Wan and Leia in life-threatening situations if we know they're ok?

I mean, I know the prequels did the same thing but come on...

1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:

Why do they keep putting Obi-Wan and Leia in life-threatening situations if we know they're ok?

In most media, the main characters don't bite the dust, anyway. There are still ways to build tension.

7 hours ago, rough cut said:

It all seems a bit stupid.

•   Hide contents
    • Now that it is confirmed that Leia and/or Bail Organa is the link to Obi, wouldn’t they just go after them again and again to lure Obi out? (Pending Obi gets away at the end of the series…)
    • Obi seems rather inconsistently capable/incapable
    • If Vader was hell bent on killing Obi during their first encounter - dragging him through the fire with the force - why was he content just moments later seeing Obi being carried away instead of using the force again?

Vader wants to inflict everything Obi Wan did to him on Mustafar onto Ben, he even says as much

The part that is inexcusable is letting him get away

6 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

You mean like he let Luke and co get Away on the DS1?

9 minutes ago, Counterparts said:

You mean like he let Luke and co get Away on the DS1?

Really? He wasn’t anywhere near Luke and was in a state of confusion after Ben literally vanished in front of him

When he notices Luke yell he turns and starts moving towards him but Han manages to shoot the door in front of Vader shut (providing I’m remembering this correctly), and then they escape on a ship. After that, instead of sending an armada to obliterate them, Vader has taken advantage of their escape by previously hiding a tracker on their ship and can now track them to the Rebel base

At no point could Vader have done anything to Luke and co directly, and it was actually in his better interest to let them get away for the bigger prize of the Rebel base. It’s completely incomparable to standing mere metres away from your helpless target with one obstacle that you easily completely got rid of a couple of seconds ago

So far the biggest crux of the show is, well see what happens in the next episode to help contextualise what's going on. By that it means right now it feels like it'll be easier to judge the overall quality once the series is finished, in the meantime each episode leaves the audience in a sort of limbo. Episode three's Vader entrance doesn't come close to Rebel's first meeting for Ezra and Kanen. It just feels so up in the air, but hey we're halfway through already, so uumm let's show a little optimism?

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:

When he notices Luke yell he turns and starts moving towards him but Han manages to shoot the door in front of Vader shut (providing I’m remembering this correctly)

When Obi-Wan dies it's Luke yells No, then starts blasting stormtroopers, Vader prods Obi-Wans robes, Han yells come on and to shoot and close the door, Luke then shoots and hits the controls as Vader is walking towards the door, Obi-Wan tells Luke to run.

If you consider the powers Vader displayed in later media, Vader could easily have done something with the Force.  There’s a story reason  that he didn’t - he was letting them go so they could track them to the rebel base.

But, Vader could have stopped Luke from jumping down the Bespin shaft in ESB.  Kylo could have easily continued the fight with Rey in TFA when the ground split apart.  The reason they don’t is that it’s a space opera!  The distance is big drama!  They’re telling a six episode story about a broken Obi-wan getting his groove back, and in order to do so, they need to send him reeling, let him find his resolve, and eventually let him triumph.

18 minutes ago, mstrox said:

If you consider the powers Vader displayed in later media, Vader could easily have done something with the Force.  There’s a story reason  that he didn’t - he was letting them go so they could track them to the rebel base.

But, Vader could have stopped Luke from jumping down the Bespin shaft in ESB.  Kylo could have easily continued the fight with Rey in TFA when the ground split apart.  The reason they don’t is that it’s a space opera!  The distance is big drama!  They’re telling a six episode story about a broken Obi-wan getting his groove back, and in order to do so, they need to send him reeling, let him find his resolve, and eventually let him triumph.

Hah, @Holko called it earlier. Even if we take it in the context of Vader's powers established outside of the OT, which I don't think is fair to the films at all, Vader's dejected body language implies that despite having the ability to grab Luke he was conflicted because of how his son literally wanted to die instead of be a willing servant. That's gotta suck ass as a father, even if you're Vader. I think even before ROTJ Vader did love his son, but it was in a warped way, he loved the idea of his progeny overthrowing the Emperor and ruling with another power individual, and I don't think he could even comprehend the choice Luke made there so he was thoroughly taken off-guard. It's also the first crack in the Vader shell, as Luke is one person that can put a chink in that hard exterior

There's this weird trend I've noticed where all of Star Wars gets lumped together in the sake of comparisons even when the circumstances are wildly different between the scenes being compared, and I think part of it just comes down to foggy memories of what actually happened

Like the TFA example:
Reylo by fyreyandben.tumblr - Kylo Ren & Rey Fan Art (39212226) - Fanpop

Kylo is out of the fight due to being wounded by Rey and his lightsaber being destroyed, and the planet is literally crumbling around them both. Even if you believe Rey is powerful enough to cross that gap what on earth would be the point other than to kill Kylo which she is clearly already conflicted about? TFA gets a lot of things wrong but it's pretty good at visual storytelling and this scene is no exception, it's showing that a divide has been drawn between them as a result of the events that have taken place, and that good has triumphed - Rey stands tall and proud, blue lightsaber extended, Kylo is crippled on the ground and weaponless. Unfortunately that setup seems incredibly odd thanks to what follows in The Last Jedi given Kylo seems to hold no personal animosity towards Rey and even grows closer to her

Why isn't Bail Organa under arrest yet for treason?

Spoiler

So the daughter of an Imperial senator gets kidnapped as bait, and next thing you know a Jedi Master who has been in hiding for a decade, takes the bait and is spotted on not one, but two planets with that daughter. Admittedly, Reva says she knows Obi-Wan fought with Bail in the war... but does she believe Obi-Wan just came out of hiding simply because he somehow sensed this guy's daughter being kidnapped, all the way across the galaxy??? Keep in mind that Bail didn't even publicize the fact that Leia was kidnapped; he wanted to keep it on the down low.

Shouldn't Reva logically assume that Bail tipped off Obi-Wan, and therefore wouldn't that be treason, for Bail to have been knowingly withholding information about a Jedi all those years, rather than turning him in to the authorities?

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

The reason they don’t is that it’s a space opera!  The distance is big drama!  They’re telling a six episode story about a broken Obi-wan getting his groove back, and in order to do so, they need to send him reeling, let him find his resolve, and eventually let him triumph.

Well do it in a way that doesn't make the villain so obviously dumb!

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:

Hah, @Holko called it earlier.

He did, because he was referring to a conversation that he and I (and some others) had separately from this board.  He knew I was coming!  He made same or similar points as you did at the time, none of which made sense to me in any meaningful way because it’s a discussion of physical mechanics and logistics in a melodramatic movie serial throwback about space wizards.

I find the writing and directing perfectly good.  The things I’m seeing people call bad are just conventions of the genre which have been present in various ways since 1977 and well before.  Mustache twirling villains tying people to train tracks and what have you.

5 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Vader wants to inflict everything Obi Wan did to him on Mustafar onto Ben, he even says as much

It's only been ten years. Vader is still afraid of fire. 

15 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

That would actually have been an interesting thing to communicate, and would have actually worked well (as well as giving Vader some more dimension which, let's face it, he's never really had since the suit went on). 

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

He did, because he was referring to a conversation that he and I (and some others) had separately from this board.  He knew I was coming!  He made same or similar points as you did at the time, none of which made sense to me in any meaningful way because it’s a discussion of physical mechanics and logistics in a melodramatic movie serial throwback about space wizards.

Are you for real?

My defence was literally from an emotional standpoint, unless you want to argue emotion doesn’t matter in melodramatic space drama

It sure seems like you’re willing to bend over backwards to not have to address anything we specifically are saying

I think you misunderstand what I actually value about film. I put evoking emotion at the absolute top of the list, which is why I value consistency because I can only feel things if the illusion of these being real people in a real world is maintained. That doesn’t require 100% realism either because it’s contextual to the universe, as long as it follows it’s own internal mechanics then I can still buy it as real even if it’s way off from my own universe

Hence I like to approach analysis holistically, I don’t like singling out writing because all the elements of a scene contribute to its effectiveness. I know it may seem like it but I genuinely am not a robot who runs purely on rationality and logic, I just recognize those two things are very effective tools for achieving compelling cinema

2 hours ago, Positivatee said:

Wat

How does that stop Vader from dragging Kenobi through the fire like he did a couple seconds earlier?

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

I find the writing and directing perfectly good.  The things I’m seeing people call bad are just conventions of the genre which have been present in various ways since 1977 and well before.  Mustache twirling villains tying people to train tracks and what have you.

It's just a "convention of the genre" to have Obi-Wan turn off a laser gate that he could have easily just walked around on either side?

16 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

It's just a "convention of the genre" to have Obi-Wan turn off a laser gate that he could have easily just walked around on either side?

I'm going to pull a convention of the genre and do a sudden face-heel turn for a second here ;)

This is the kind of thing I can empathize with @mstrox on. I think you need to be careful about what you bring attention to as an issue because you should be looking at it from the frame of 'how does this interfere with what I think the goals of this scene are?'

In this case it makes absolutely no functional difference as to whether Kenobi shoots the laser-gate and proceeds, or goes around it. I think this is generally what people think of as 'nitpicks' because it's something that has extremely tiny consequences. It's also down to where the work puts its focus, in this case it's just a flashier way to proceed forward. If the scene was set up as a tense 'we have to make sure we hit the controls because we're being chased and there's no other way around it!' then it would be distracting if there was a shot that showed they could clearly just walk around it. It's also something that doesn't really muck with anything established, shoot controls of thing and it deactivates is a well known rule in Star Wars by now, it's a perfectly fine way to move forward that doesn't cost our heroes anything. As it stands, you have to be really disconnected from what's happening in the moment to notice this (which to be fair given the events that lead up to it, I can also empathize with)

Same for me for many of the complaints about Obi-Wan's confused little inconsistencies and imperfections, easily excused by the fact that he hasn't done anything at all for an entire decade, he's out of practice and emotionally disturbed.

in the previous episode he kind of smoothly infiltrated that smugglers planet. Although In E03 he seems so paralyzed and dazed to the point where he lets the little girl take the lead? He almost has to grab her hand avd let himself be led along.

Wildly inconsistent.

And if the former is true - Vader should have cut him down without a problem but instead the writers had to save his a** by mechanics of deus ex machina.

2 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Wildly inconsistent.

because nothing happened at the end of the last episode that would have sent him emotionally reeling, he didn't find out anything new that would make him confused, in a lot worse state than in last episode

Obi-Wan suffering from PTSD and guilt and discovering Vader is alive and hiding for years and not using the force should be way more interesting than this.

I know this character comes, essentially, from three absurd and terrible movies, yet I still feel it all hinges on Ewan and it all feels like a disservice to him, even if those three movies were really bad.

19 minutes ago, Brónach said:

Obi-Wan suffering from PTSD and guilt and discovering Vader is alive and hiding for years and not using the force should be way more interesting than this.

I know this character comes, essentially, from three absurd and terrible movies, yet I still feel it all hinges on Ewan and it all feels like a disservice to him, even if those three movies were really bad.

I've recently been made aware that there's a novel called 'Kenobi' that takes place after Obi-Wan drops Luke off on Tattooine in the EU, I plan to check it out because I'm very curious to see how it handles the PTSD and guilt, especially with it being so fresh

21 hours ago, Bespin said:

Believe me or not, but at first I didn't understand Obi-Wan's vision scene in the desert (Episode 3). Ok, maybe I should not watch Obi-Wan on my computer screen...

But for me it's a rookie mistake... You film in High Definition, oh, wow, it's hot.. But, geez, just re-edit this scene quickly and add a zoom shot on the face just for 2 seconds. Thanks.

Shawn sunglasses | Square sunglasses men, Sunglasses, Psych

I was kind of hoping that they were going to save the Hayden as Anakin for when Vader actually shows up, like Obi Wan is having some kind of delusion and doesn't realize what Anakin looks like now until that delusion is broken and he sees Anakin as he is. Would've been some effective visual storytelling and a great 'wtf?' moment for the audience having them believe for a second that somehow we're seeing Anakin pre-operation

As it stands Obi Wan seeing him on a hill in the distance right after arriving on the planet that Vader isn't on yet is kind of aimless

5 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Wat

How does that stop Vader from dragging Kenobi through the fire like he did a couple seconds earlier?

Wat do you mean wat 

There's a difference between Force dragging someone through short flames from a safe distance, and walking through tall flames yourself. 

21 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

Wat do you mean wat 

There's a difference between Force dragging someone through short flames from a safe distance, and walking through tall flames yourself. 

Wat x2

I said nothing about Vader walking into the flames himself, why would he have to do that when he can use the Force to grab Obi-Wan again at a safe distance?

I am immensely confused by your defense because the show itself demonstrated exactly what Vader would do in that situation, he just...doesn't when the flames start up again despite the circumstances being functionally identical

I’m glad most of you aren’t writing scripts, music or anything related to films and TV. :D

Spoiler

And I think it's clear with Epsode 3 that Obi-Wan has a younger brother.

That's another reason to let Obi-Wan go.

Didn’t Vader tell Obi Wan: YOUR SUFFERING IS JUST BEGINNING?