OBI-WAN KENOBI (Disney+ series)

No thanks, I don't need more soap-opera type familial-based drama. I should hope Obi-Wan's offhanded remark on a brother should be just that: offhanded piece of backstory.

27 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I'm happy the majority of you don't write scripts, music or do anything related to films and TV. :D

Hide contents

And I think it's clear with Epsode 3 that Obi-Wan has a younger brother.

That's another reason to let Obi-Wan go.

Didn’t Vader tell Obi Wan: YOUR SUFFERING IS JUST BEGINNING?

I'm glad you don't write scripts since you seem to have absolutely no clue how the screenwriting process works if you think the things that are being pointed out aren't something most good writers fret over far more than any audience member ever could. I'd even go as far as to say that at the absolute bare minimum as a screenwriter you should have a perceptiveness about how the audience is disseminating the information you give them and awareness of the expectations that creates as a result. I read the novel by Russel T Davies that shows a candid look at the process of being showrunner for Doctor Who and he was panicking over things I had never even thought about. We as audience members take so much for granted it's actually insane. The thing you don't realize is that it takes a lot to get even the smallest scene completed. Sets, actors, cinematography, costumes, script, storyboards, music, planning, budgeting etc. These things get scrutinized by necessity because no one wants to spend all that money and effort into something that's going to be thrown out, the script is what determines what the scene is actually going to be so it's most important to get that as tight as possible before filming. I don't think some of these problems weren't known about, this series was completely re-written late into its production so it could easily be a case of rushed development and not enough time to polish the scripts before shooting. It could also be down to limitations of shooting during COVID and difficulties encountered using the Volume. Don't approach this with completely unfounded assumptions and ignorance please, it makes for some poor discourse

Obi-Wan tells Leia that he remembers having a brother, we have no reason to assume Vader would know that information as well. There is also zero attempt by the episode to communicate that Vader is letting Kenobi go so he can pursue his...brother? Something he apparently can't do while having Kenobi captive, who is most likely going to know the actual location. Please at least think about how whether what you're saying makes sense in the context of the show before posting next time

I realize I'm coming off as pretty abrasive but you've also been taking potshots off on the sidelines and ridiculing everyone whilst providing nothing of substance in response

Obsolete information.

1. It was removed from ROTJ script's final cut.
  2. It was not removed from the novelization of the movie and that's an error.
  3. In AOTC they stated clearly that Luke's uncle, Owen Lars, was Anakin Skywalker's step-brother, not Kenobi's brother.

Star Wars Jedi GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

17 minutes ago, Bespin said:

in AOTC they stated clearly that Luke's uncle, Owen Lars, was Anakin Skywalker's step-brother

Well, in that film Owen also lived for some time with C3PO and saw R2D2, and he has no memory of either of them in the original film...

Star Wars had never been good at continuity. Just like how Obi-Wan was "a name I hadn't heard in a long time" when, if this show's to be believed, he heard it not nine or eight years prior.

No one cared about C-3PO in the Skywalkers Saga!!!

They erased his memory, silenced him, ignored him, deactivated him, they sent him to scrap, made him freeze, they tried to blow him up, and then used his features to translate Sith messages!

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Obsolete information.

1. In AOTC they stated clearly that Luke's uncle, Owen Lars, was Anakin Skywalker's step-brother, not Kenobi's brother.

Wow, really is that true?

i was joking, mixing the wrong rotj reference and the new obiwan brother…

8 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Wat x2

I said nothing about Vader walking into the flames himself, why would he have to do that when he can use the Force to grab Obi-Wan again at a safe distance?

I am immensely confused by your defense because the show itself demonstrated exactly what Vader would do in that situation, he just...doesn't when the flames start up again despite the circumstances being functionally identical

Okay buddy. 

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I know, I know, its explainable.

But it rings hollow.

Owen also never learns the names of the droids he bought in ANH. You could argue it's possible for him to have recognized R2-D2 but he barely even saw him in AOTC. C-3PO looked completely different and the only thing that he might've recognized was the name which Luke never got to tell him before he was killed

1 hour ago, enderdrag64 said:

Owen also never learns the names of the droids he bought in ANH

I know, I know, you could rationalize it all.

Just like you can rationalize that Vader is Luke's father in the original film and Ben is lying to him. But you can just feel that's not the case. The rationalization is all after-the-fact.

The continuity in Star Wars is extremly haphazard.

1 hour ago, dylanskie said:

I prefer the prequels over the other movies because of the world-building and more believable aspects (rather than Luke being a cartoonish hero figure, which was fine for the time period of the originals but never resonated with me)—and I was hoping that this show would resemble the prequels more than the originals in that respect. (which doesn't make any sense because they're too different time periods, but whatever)

As a child I used to find Luke boring and too uncharismatic to be the main character, and preferred Anakin and Obi-wan who at least had some character traits.

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Well, in that film Owen also lived for some time with C3PO and saw R2D2, and he has no memory of either of them in the original film...

Star Wars had never been good at continuity. Just like how Obi-Wan was "a name I hadn't heard in a long time" when, if this show's to be believed, he heard it not nine or eight years prior.

I agree that the Prequels do a poor job matching up with the OT in this regard, however I wouldn’t use them as the standard for continuity

It’s really interesting looking at how the EU treated the Prequel era before the movies came out, it’s more in line with the OT in the sense it comes off as this ancient conflict. Interestingly it also suggests that the enemies were clones and that the Republic tried to employ some of that technology to compete, even attempting cloning Jedi which had disastrous effects

I can’t recall if any specific numbers were given but it certainly seems more significant than the rather truncated single war that was presented in the Prequels

26 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

I agree that the Prequels do a poor job matching up with the OT in this regard,

Not just the prequel trilogy: The Empire Strikes Back doesn't line up with the original terribly well (we've been over this) and Lor knows the sister reveal in Return of the Jedi doesn't jive with either of those two in the least.

Star Wars was always like this, and in a sense was always going to be like this.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Not just the prequel trilogy: The Empire Strikes Back doesn't line up with the original terribly well (we've been over this) and Lor knows the sister reveal in Return of the Jedi doesn't jive with either of those two in the least.

Star Wars was always like this, and in a sense was always going to be like this.

I don’t think we have in regards to whether Empire Strikes Back lines up terribly well with A New Hope. What’s your take?

That's also a major issue in this series... the world building aspect (my favourite thing about Star Wars) is severely lacking.

The Mandalorian was [mostly] brilliant at this. Every location here feels so boring.

11 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

Owen also never learns the names of the droids he bought in ANH. You could argue it's possible for him to have recognized R2-D2 but he barely even saw him in AOTC. C-3PO looked completely different and the only thing that he might've recognized was the name which Luke never got to tell him before he was killed

The moment luke says they belong to obi wan kenobi, owen wants to wipe them out and be done with it…you could say that the adds 2 and 2 together….

but it is a post-sequels explanation, it was not there in the original film. Like obi wan lying about lukes father. You can see he avoids eye contact with luke when saying anakin was killed with darth vader. As if he were telling a lie…. But probably is a coincidence of the performance.

Am i reading rumours of a season 2 already? 

cant they just make an isolated miniseries for once?

who knows maybe season 2 is fully scored by Ross…..

19 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Like obi wan lying about lukes father. You can see he avoids eye contact with luke when saying anakin was killed with darth vader. As if he were telling a lie

Or just because its a painful memory and that's how Guinness plays painful?

To me, all these kind of retcon explanations always feel hollow.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Or just because its a painful memory and that's how Guinness plays painful?

To me, all these kind of retcon explanations always feel hollow.

I said in my message that it is a retcon, that it was a coincidence in guiness performance…

15 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I said in my message that it is a retcon, that it was a coincidence in guiness performance…

@Chen G. You seem to have a habit of being reductive when you respond to people

I think your ideas are well thought out but I wish you listened a bit better to what people are saying

I know people are angry that Vader let the flames stop him, but this is the same guy who could've lept through the closing blast door in ANH after cutting Ben down.   Maybe there's a reason he's allowing Ben to escape, just as he let the rebels leave with a tracking device on the Falcon.

23 minutes ago, Andy said:

this is the same guy who could've lept through the closing blast door in ANH after cutting Ben down.

Oh please, THAT Vader was basically just Tarkin's muscle. A glorified uber-Stormtrooper.

That’s a tricky one: did the father reveal hurt the series? It’s arguably the thing that made it last: it gave it substance beyond the gee-wiz effects.

I would argue the sister reveal was the problematic one.

47 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

That’s a tricky one: did the father reveal hurt the series? It’s arguably the thing that made it last: it gave it substance beyond the gee-wiz effects.

I would argue the sister reveal was the problematic one.

Oh absolutely. 

I was almost 11 years old when the local paper leaked the Leia reveal the day before the premiere!  So kids in school were spoiling it before I would see it the next day.  Not only was I pissed that it was spoiled, I was angry with the idea of Leia as the sister.  Other than wrapping the love triangle and giving Vader some leverage, the story really could’ve done without it.  In fact, I think it hurt it more than helped. 

It was definitely a lame attempt to recapture the lightning of the father reveal, and it was that reveal - not the father reveal - which turned the series into a glorified soap opera.

Right on, brother!

When Star Wars sticks the landing, there’s nothing better. 

When it disappoints, it’s still better than most anything else. 

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

And the music was much better then.

Despite being very critical of the Prequels that whole ending sequence of ROTS makes me extremely emotional

Always feels like the end of an era, and Williams scored it beautifully, as if it was his last contribution to Star Wars

Hearing Luke’s theme in a nostalgic and uplifting ANH style way is just aghhh my heart 

4 hours ago, Brónach said:

Star Wars has arguably been hurt from the beginning by the twist choices in Empire and Jedi and the weird continuity issues introduced in the prequels.

Not having Vader’s character arc would be a massive blow to the emotional resonance of the OT

Luke turning Vader in ROTJ doesn’t work nearly as well without the setup in ESB

On 01/06/2022 at 4:50 PM, greenturnedblue said:

It wouldve been neat if when Obiwan first saw Vader he said "Anakin?" as if he didnt want to admit it was Anakin inside the suit. then Vader could say "That name no longer has any meaning to me" calling back to the line in RotJ

I totally agree.  In fact, third sister shouldn't have known that was his name.  that was a misstep.  She should only know him as Vader.

On 03/06/2022 at 4:58 AM, Chen G. said:

At any rate, it does feel as though Vader didn't do remotely enough to try and catch Obi-Wan.

I think that point is clear.

I frankly wish they had more of a stare down.  '60's western style.  No words and no engagement at all.  Just let the eyes, body, and music tell the story for a minute of just tense build before Ben escapes since he's been found.  He knows he'll lose.  And leave it at that.  That totally would have worked if they had faith in the fans.  @Jaycan this thread title be changed to include "spoilers" since this is on demand and I handn't seen the episode, not realizing what happened till minutes ago.  Would prefer not to know ahead of time that this is a spoiler thread.  

2 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Despite being very critical of the Prequels that whole ending sequence of ROTS makes me extremely emotional

Agreed and also iirc it was very emotional for the musicians in the studio recording everything especially the moment Vaders mask is lowered on. So much care was taken with that scene the effects artists even made Vaders first breath disturb the air in front of his 'mouth' on the mask. I didnt feel the suit up scene in Obi Wan had nearly the same weight. It should have been painful and traumatic to attach the limbs with Vader in agony but alas, they just click on like Legos