OBI-WAN KENOBI (Disney+ series)

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wasn't even referring to Ashoka or Boba.  One of the major threads of Season 2 was the other mandalorian faction led by Starbuck from BSG, and how they want to take back Mandalore.  BOBF even continued this thread by the Armorer sending him to Mandalore to go in the caves or whatever.

All of this continues on from cartoon shows I've never seen

Oh yeah I don't know how I forgot about that

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I wasn't even referring to Ashoka or Boba.  One of the major threads of Season 2 was the other mandalorian faction led by Starbuck from BSG, and how they want to take back Mandalore.  BOBF even continued this thread by the Armorer sending him to Mandalore to go in the caves or whatever.

Serious question: Do you really feel you've missed out? Or do you think they've caught you up?

Snarky response: Don't you think you should see them?

TBH - I had a bit of the same feeling when I got to that arc in Rebels because I had never seen those bits of Clone Wars. On the other hand I often have to catch my wife up on parts of Return of the Jedi. Someone is always going to miss something.

2 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Serious question: Do you really feel you've missed out? Or do you think they've caught you up?

The first 2 seasons have done a great job of telling me what I need to know!  I never felt like I was missing out on any important information, though it was always very obvious whenever the show was referring an outside work I hadn't seen.

I am only relaying a fear I have that season 3 could lean more into cartoon lore than they have done so far.  The only thing I can do is wait and see!

2 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Snarky response: Don't you think you should see them?

I have no interest in watching the cartoon shows, no

I get that.  I'm a massive Lucas fan (and apologist), and even though the Clone Wars cartoon had a lot of his input, I rarely feel like rewatching them.  I don't like the animation.  I'd rather re-watch the Tartakovsky Micro Series of animation.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

It'll be fine. The state that things are on Mandalorian are already very different to the last that we've seen in Rebels. 

12 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

talking about the light side of the force (in the old movies there was just the force and the dark side of the force, but really splitting it into light and dark was new)

Just want to point out that "light side" has been the terminology used in the books and video games, I believe since before the prequels came out. So it might be new to the movies, but not to the lore.

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I admit I want it both ways: I think the movie was unfairly disparaged because that scene seemed to meet a lot of people's expectations. "Look how dumb THIS is!" But at the same time I like the movie and say that if you ignore that scene the rest of the film is pretty good. It would be better for everybody if that scene just wasn't there.

This is probably the answer to my question, I don't think I've ever seen a movie with a well that was more poisoned than Solo so criticisms probably ended up magnified. A lot of those people probably haven't watched it recently and still have it in their memory as this massive flop that changed the course of Disney Star Wars

7 hours ago, Jay said:

I have no interest in watching the cartoon shows, no

This is why I detest the MCU approach for Star Wars, making something in a completely different medium required viewing is ridiculously inaccessible

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:

This is why I detest the MCU approach for Star Wars, making something in a completely different medium required viewing is ridiculously inaccessible

Yeah, but that way Disney gets more money, which is literally the only reason they release Marvel and Star Wars stuff.

48 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, but that way Disney gets more money, which is literally the only reason they release Marvel and Star Wars stuff.

I think they and many other studios under-estimate the profitability of a good reputation and good word of mouth about the quality of their products. Although, one issue is that the majority of the Star Wars fan-base seems to be very un-critical of what they watch so there's no impetus to change the machine until it starts losing money, which it absolutely will and probably soon. All it took was one flop to kill the spin-off movies

10 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

I think they and many other studios under-estimate the profitability of a good reputation and good word of mouth about the quality of their products. Although, one issue is that the majority of the Star Wars fan-base seems to be very un-critical of what they watch so there's no impetus to change the machine until it starts losing money, which it absolutely will and probably soon. All it took was one flop to kill the spin-off movies

Ironically, it wasn't even Solo's fault it flopped.. It was the mainline movies 

5 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

but TLJ and TROS made less money than TFA, so that says something about what general audiences thought.

I think it mostly just says that the novelty was wearing off: it was exactly the same with the classic trilogy, too: Star Wars made inordinately more money than its two sequels, even in the 90s rerelease. Most trilogies are like that.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I think it mostly just says that the novelty was wearing off: it was exactly the same with the classic trilogy, too: Star Wars made inordinately more money than its two sequels, even in the 90s rerelease. Most trilogies are like that.

It’s definitely a far greater drop between TLJ and TROS though, ESB to ROTJ was a matter of millions whereas the former was a matter of hundreds of millions

34 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

That's a good point about the novelty wearing off, but as @DarthDementous points out it's not as big a drop between the OT film's. Looking at the box office  what is interesting for the OT and PT is that the middle film was a dip from the first, but the third film made more than the second, not so for the ST.

Repeat viewers are what drive sales for megabillion blockbusters.  If people like a movie less, they’re going to rewatch it less.  I suspect it was the case for Solo and TROS (although I enjoyed Solo a good bit).  The sting of Solo was probably much worse for Lucasfilm because they basically had to pay to shoot the thing twice.

I used to think that things like Boba Fett showing up in the prequels, cartoon references in the shows, etc. were detrimental because they made the universe “feel smaller,” but I’ve learned to look smaller at these movies and shows, not as part of “the universe.”  As somebody who has been disappointed in Star Wars in waves ever since 1991, it’s the only way to survive!

If the show makes internal sense, then all of the referential stuff is just background that you can research/watch later if you really want to.  Like Jay said, I think Mandalorian works as its own thing despite its references (for now).

What I don't get, Lucasfilm puts a hell of money into these TV show to make them look cinematic. But they don't. You can argue about the quality of the stories. But compared to the movies the live action TV shows look comparably cheap. There seems to be no cinematography, the editing, the action sequences, all far below the standards of the movies. So, if I anyway don't have the ambition to make these look like the movies, I could produce them much cheaper. Why then spend so much effort, making a guy look like young Luke Skywalker? This way it is neither flesh, nor fowl.

5 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Well, it "helps" that The Rise of Skywalker sucked ass...

I mean, if I told you in 2016 that the third film in the trilogy would be outgrossed by an R-rated, non-action, bleak-as-hell remake of Taxi Driver, would you believe me?

No I wouldn't have believed you, but then again Joker was actually good so probably wouldn't have been surprised  :lol:.

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

What I don't get, Lucasfilm puts a hell of money into these TV show to make them look cinematic. But they don't. You can argue about the quality of the stories. But compared to the movies the live action TV shows look comparably cheap. There seems to be no cinematography, the editing, the action sequences, all far below the standards of the movies. So, if I anyway don't have the ambition to make these look like the movies, I could produce them much cheaper. Why then spend so much effort, making a guy look like young Luke Skywalker? This way it is neither flesh, nor fowl.

I think it has to a lot to do with these show's being made in The Volume, as a good as those screens are they can't replace real locations, so they visually can look cheaper. Plus hiring up and coming directors and writers (while not necessarily a bad thing) who lack the experience of planning out/writing an action scene, or how to cut them doesn't help.

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Joker was ok

I thought it very good, but even at "okay" that puts it miles ahead of The Rise of Skywalker.

49 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I'm not sure if anyone else has thought this, but if Star Wars isn't safe from directors and producers thinking it needs a "modern" style of scoring then nothing is sacred which, from a film music perspective, perhaps leaves the sourest taste.

It is truly a frightening thought.

On 01/07/2022 at 2:38 PM, Groovygoth666 said:

Plus hiring up and coming directors and writers (while not necessarily a bad thing) who lack the experience of planning out/writing an action scene, or how to cut them doesn't help.

The only problem with that is movie wise it's not much better, and they hired the biggest names in movies...

...and it really seemed like they were hired based just on that and not if they were good for the job.

Remember that Jurassic movie everyone saw? Hire the director! That popular Game of Thrones show? Hire those guys! Everyone liked the Lego movie, hire those guys! Remember that Americanized Godzilla? Call that director! Remember the guy who made Thor silly so his movies were actually watchable? Give that man a Star War! 

Now count how many of those actually made it all the way to the end of their projects, much less put out a good movie.

16 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Damn, the episodes just keep getting better and better...

@Jay Would you happen to know why my post was moved to the Obi-Wan thread? I posted this in the Orville thread yesterday. At least I'm 99% sure I posted it in the right thread...

...Hopefully I'm not going crazy. :lol:

I agree with him that the pacing of the show is awkward indeed.

Fan Edits ‘Obi-Wan Kenobi’ Into Two-Hour Movie to Fix ‘Awkward Pacing’ and Cut ‘Goofy Dialogue’

"I want to be very clear, this is my own artistic interpretation of how these scenes could be strung together to make something that works better for me personally," the fan wrote.

Watch it now before the Mouse take it away.

Could it have been a two-hour-ish movie? Probably, yeah. But, in the event, its a 220-minute miniseries.

Either watch it - as is - or don't. This tendency to fan-cut everything is... I mean, I guess it gives people a stint at being a film editor, but otherwise I don't think its a very positive trend in how we appreciate movies and shows.

It kinda drives us towards a minimalist view of editing, whereby movies must be the fastest, shortest versions of themselves possible. I find that approach very reductive - it becomes a dragster car rather than a work of art.

7 hours ago, Chen G. said:

its a 220-minute miniseries.

The 6 episodes combined total 261 minutes.  Even if you take out 5 end credits and 5 "previously on" recaps, it's still going to be well over 220 minutes

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Even if you take out 5 end credits and 5 "previously on" recaps, it's still going to be well over 220 minutes

I did a tally just like that and it came out as some 225 minutes or so.

That doesn't sound right.  That implies the end credits is like 7 minutes long, but it's only 4

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It's interesting - it sure felt like I watched more than 3 1/2 hours of content!

It really did! Then again, had it been better, it wouldn't... it should allow time for the characters to breath and not have to pack things in like in a movie, but it didn't kinda blew a lot of that chance too. Maybe if there is a season 2 they'll do something totally different. It was bad enough seeing Vader fail to capture Obi-Wan twice but failing over and over would just stretch credulity (assuming they are bothered at this point).

On 08/07/2022 at 5:23 PM, SilverTrumpet said:

The only problem with that is movie wise it's not much better, and they hired the biggest names in movies...

...and it really seemed like they were hired based just on that and not if they were good for the job.

Remember that Jurassic movie everyone saw? Hire the director! That popular Game of Thrones show? Hire those guys! Everyone liked the Lego movie, hire those guys! Remember that Americanized Godzilla? Call that director! Remember the guy who made Thor silly so his movies were actually watchable? Give that man a Star War! 

Now count how many of those actually made it all the way to the end of their projects, much less put out a good movie.

Outside of JJ, Lord and Miller, I wouldn't call any of the others the Biggest Name's in Hollywood at the time they made their film's. 

One problem is they hire directors and writers who seemingly don't have a love for the franchise or at least the most basic knowledge of it, outside of JJ I'd say they've all been hired because they were cheap. Another problem I think is that the writers don't know how to write a basic story and characters, and instead want payoffs but don't know how to do the work to get there, which in storytelling is incredibly important. Also Lucasfilm is another factor, seemingly giving free reign to some so long as they like what's being made, otherwise any kind of pushback and you're out the door!

• 1 month later...