Jump to content

OBI-WAN KENOBI (Disney+ series)


Recommended Posts

Yes, a small suite of music, largely based on Williams was written, mostly for scene transitions.  They're delightful.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Counterparts said:

The scene ends with the Emperor telling him to stop so...


That’s actually a little odd, wouldn’t The Emperor want Obi Wan dead, especially by the hands of Vader? He wants him to cut his ties to the past so he has complete control over him after all

 

2 hours ago, Andy said:

Yes, a small suite of music, largely based on Williams was written, mostly for scene transitions.  They're delightful.

 

 

 


Interesting. I hear only a few instruments so I would hazard a guess this was performed by a chamber orchestra 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Exactly. I think the writers made the Emperor tell Vader to stop hunting for Obi-Wan just because Kenobi is alive in the canon for the next nine years. Because, in-universe there's no logical reason for the Empire to give up on him.

 

Why would the Emperor, who is determined to purge the galaxy from all Jedi, let one of the most powerful and important members of the Jedi Order alive?

 

It would make sense if the Empire thought Obi was dead. He could've fake his own death during the confrontation with Vader, and then enjoy his next 9 years as he wanted.

 

The way it was written seemed like a lazy way of connecting the show with ANH.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Emperor tells Vader to stop hunting Obi-Wan because, 1) Obi-Wan is dangerous and he's the weakness of Vader, after all he almost killed Anakin for the second time (ha ha) and 2) Obi-wan understood "Anakin" is dead, so his quest is over and he'll go somewhere else to be forgotten... Let's move to another subject.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:


That’s actually a little odd, wouldn’t The Emperor want Obi Wan dead, especially by the hands of Vader? He wants him to cut his ties to the past so he has complete control over him after all

 

Maybe he knows Maul is out there and wants them to take eachother out?

 

Or he knows Vader would just getbhis ass kicked? Or converted or or or or

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Either way, the Emperor's decision to call off the hunt for Obi-Wan then returned to bite him in the ass and actually destroyed the entire Empire.

 

If Obi-Wan had been killed before A New Hope, he'd never trained Luke, who wouldn't destroy the Death Star and defeat Vader. Luke either would've lived his life as a farmer or (most likely) would be killed by the Stormtroopers who murdered his relatives. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:

 


Interesting. I hear only a few instruments so I would hazard a guess this was performed by a chamber orchestra 

Apparently a Minnesota Wind and percussion Orchestra?

Just now, Edmilson said:

Either way, the Emperor's decision to call off the hunt for Obi-Wan then returned to bite him in the ass and destroy the entire Empire.

 

If Obi-Wan had been killed before A New Hope, he'd never trained Luke, who wouldn't destroy the Death Star and defeat Vader. Luke either would've lived his life as a farmer or (most likely) would be killed by the Stormtroopers who murdered his relatives. 

Bail/Leia wouldn't have tried to contact Kenobi, so Vader wouldnt have sent troopers to Tatooine...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems insignificant now, but how did Obi-Wan possibly fuck up in that scene with Leia on that truck by addressing her by her name, with all that fake set-up that they both agreed upon lengthily.

 

I just don't believe that he would be so fucking careless to do that, the 'wise' man.

 

But then he did destroy a key-code gate lock that he could have effortlessly walked around. 

 

This show quickly became something that I hated to love to one that I love to hate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I didn't

 

Well, it could have been a decoy: A phoney uncle Owen, aunt Beru and little Luke. The real family could have been located a little bit further, similar to the decoy ship that Vader destroyed while the real ship was able to escape. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Not Mr. Big said:

That would explain why he looks nothing like Mark Hamill 

 

Good point!

 

They did a good job with finding a little Leia but somehow screwed up with little Luke.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

Anyone else remember before Disney+ and all the minisieries', the show was rumoured to be a movie? They should have left it as a film, cutting out all the fluff like obi Wan working at the space whale harvesting operation and feeding it to his pet lama, and had a higher budget and production value that a film can afford. Then, hired more competent screenwriters and composers, and even figured out if they are "allowed" to use JW material before it is too late. Seems like most Disney SW projects are figured out last minute, and Disney still hasn't learnt how to make a star wars movie properly after making 5 of them


The original plan for when "Obi Wan Kenobi" was still a movie was an adaptation of the EU novel "Kenobi". Here's a synopsis of it:

 

Quote

Following Order 66, General Obi Wan Kenobi vanished from the galaxy along with all the other Jedi. Years later, he re-emerged as a crazy old hermit by the name of Ben to play a hand in the fate of the galaxy. However, much more happened in the preceding years than one might expect. Even on a backwater planet like Tatooine, there is conflict, and soon Ben finds himself wrapped up in a decades-long feud between the moisture farmers and their arch nemeses, the Tusken Raiders. Ben must find a way to get to the bottom of an ever-deepening mystery that lies beneath the conflict while also keeping his identity—and his true purpose on Tatooine—a secret.


And here's the synopsis TMZ reported back in 2018 (apologies for the weird phrasing, TMZ is an odd publication) https://www.tmz.com/2018/05/17/obi-wan-kenobi-star-wars-story-movie-plot-director-production/:
 

Quote

The synopsis reads as follows ... Obi-Wan is on Tatooine being an elusive hermit and stuff, but secretly watches over an infant Luke Skywalker, whom he delivered to his uncle, Owen. Tensions between the local farmers and a tribe of Sand People -- headed by a ruthless war chief -- eventually brings Obi outta hiding ... and into Jedi kickass mode. Scene.


This is completely 1 to 1 with the novel, so that's my proof it was originally planned to be an adaptation of it

The novel is fantastic, highly recommend checking it out, especially the audiobook version read by Jonathan Davis who does a masterful Obi Wan voice

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

And here's the synopsis TMZ reported back in 2018 (apologies for the weird phrasing, TMZ is an odd publication) https://www.tmz.com/2018/05/17/obi-wan-kenobi-star-wars-story-movie-plot-director-production/:

 

Id far prefer the Tusken Raider backstory from BoBF mixed with that synopsis. Imagine if at the start of the movie was Obi Wan protecting the Lars homestead from a Tusken attack, with Owen not even being grateful about Obi Wan saving him.

Then, Obi Wan realizes he has to make peace with the Tuskens if they are going to coexist on Tatooine for the next two decades. cue the BoBF storyline where Obi Wan would learn the Tusken rituals, how they survive, and enlightens them with Jedi wisdom and knowledge. Obi Wan could even apologize for Anakin wiping out the village in AotC, which gains him the respect of the Tuskens.

All this instead of the Leia storyline that was pretty unnecessary TBH.

And then mix in the Inquisitor/Vader plotline... The Inquisitors are bumbling idiots tracking rogue Jedi but they keep letting the Jedi slip through their fingers, forcing Vader to get involved. Leading to the Vader vs. Obi Wan fight at the end. Obi Wan then assures Owen the danger is resolved, earning him Owens respect

 

edit: because my original idea was dumb

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

 

Id far prefer the Tusken Raider backstory from BoBF mixed with that synopsis. Imagine if at the start of the movie was Obi Wan protecting the Lars homestead from a Tusken attack, with Owen not even being grateful about Obi Wan saving him.

Then, Obi Wan realizes he has to make peace with the Tuskens if they are going to coexist on Tatooine for the next two decades. cue the BoBF storyline where Obi Wan would learn the Tusken rituals, how they survive, and enlightens them with Jedi wisdom and knowledge. Obi Wan could even apologize for Anakin wiping out the village in AotC, which gains him the respect of the Tuskens.

And then mix in the Inquisitor/Vader plotline... The Inquisitors are tracking rogue Jedi and stumble upon a trace of Nari, they follow the trail leading them to Tatooine. Nari earlier would have had the same conversation with Obi Wan "you used to be a great Jedi master. what happened to you?". If Nari was able to figure out Obi Wan was in hiding on Tatooine im sure the Empire could too. Obi Wan realizes this, and knows he must get offworld to lead the Empire away from Luke. However, in the process the Inquisitors discover Nari who protects Obi Wans escape, and they kill him.

Obi Wan then leads the Empire to a nearby planet so that Luke would not be discovered on Tatooine. He has a moment on the way there where he realizes the few Jedi that are left cannot keep ignoring each other and need each others help to survive. Obi Wan promises Nari's sacrifice would not be in vain and will do what it takes to keep Luke safe. 

The ending is more or less the same with the Inquisitor infighting, Vader getting annoyed at them letting Jedi slip through their fingers, he says "Leave Kenobi for me, ill do it myself". And we have the Vader vs. Obi Wan fight at the end, on the nearby planet Obi Wan led them to. Obi Wan returns to Tatooine and assures Owen the danger is resolved, earning him Owens respect

 


Yes, fleshing out the Tusken Raiders would fit very well with an Obi Wan series. Not like how BOBF did it though, that was thin and awful. The Kenobi novel fully fleshes out their culture and values as well as their unique way at looking at the world and I got absolutely none of that from BOBF

I don't need anything directly to do with the Sith to get a sense of what it was like to be Obi Wan post the events of Revenge of the Sith, the less they're aware of Kenobi the better in terms of keeping continuity

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suppose I should read the book because I didnt have any real complaints about the Tuskens in BoBF. In fact I thought it was one of the stronger aspects of the show. I also thought the movie 'The Martian' was good until I read the book afterwards. There is so much more detail in the book then in the movie!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:


Yes, fleshing out the Tusken Raiders would fit very well with an Obi Wan series. Not like how BOBF did it though, that was thin and awful. The Kenobi novel fully fleshes out their culture and values as well as their unique way at looking at the world and I got absolutely none of that from BOBF

Maybe I should read it too. I'm not familiar at all with how the Tusken Raiders were handled in the Kenobi book but I really like what was done with them in KOTOR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

I suppose I should read the book because I didnt have any real complaints about the Tuskens in BoBF. In fact I thought it was one of the stronger aspects of the show. I also thought the movie 'The Martian' was good until I read the book afterwards. There is so much more detail in the book then in the movie!

I had a very similar experience, although I had previous expectations for the Tuskens thanks to my experience with KOTOR 1 which gave them a surprisingly rich history. I think the key is contrasting Tusken society with other societies, and since BOBF doesn't really flesh out any other society it falls flat for me. New additions to their culture just confused me, like the lizard that goes into your brain and makes you hallucinate going to a tree and getting the resources for your gaffi stick
 

 

22 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

Maybe I should read it too. I'm not familiar at all with how the Tusken Raiders were handled in the Kenobi book but I really like what was done with them in KOTOR

Please do, I think it fits really nicely with their KOTOR depiction

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

the lizard that goes into your brain and makes you hallucinate going to a tree and getting the resources for your gaffi stick

 

Remember in the Wolf of Wall Street how the old ludes they found were extra potent? They should have given Boba some old ancient spice or something to have the epiphany and hallucinate where the tree is instead of the tribe pet lizard up his nose 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Edmilson said:

Don't know if this has been posted here already, but here it is anyway: Obi-Wan was supposed to be a movie trilogy before Solo's box office flop killed the idea.

 

Obi-Wan Kenobi Movie Trilogy Was Planned Before Disney+ (Exclusive)

 

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27642-obi-wan-a-star-wars-story

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Don't know if this has been posted here already, but here it is anyway: Obi-Wan was supposed to be a movie trilogy before Solo's box office flop killed the idea.

 

Obi-Wan Kenobi Movie Trilogy Was Planned Before Disney+ (Exclusive)


TheDirect is spilling out its interview with this guy in multiple articles over multiple days apparently (sucks, but they’re doing it!).  Here’s the one from yesterday about the Reva character.

 

https://thedirect.com/article/obi-wan-kenobi-reva-killed-script-exclusive

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Solo is easily the most enjoyable of the 5 Disney Star Wars flicks for me

 

Though I still like Mandalorian most of all, but fear they will screw that up in season 3 by making it more of a continuation of cartoon shows I've never seen than continuing to be a story of Din Djarin and Grogu on its own terms

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I think if Han's name hadn't been a plot point the movie would have been 40% better. 


I'll be honest, I don't really get people putting so much stock into that pretty small scene that's inconsequential to the rest of the movie. Even if you genuinely hate that Han gets his last name from an Imperial that was making fun of him, how does that end up detracting so much from the rest of the movie?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:


I'll be honest, I don't really get people putting so much stock into that pretty small scene that's inconsequential to the rest of the movie. Even if you genuinely hate that Han gets his last name from an Imperial that was making fun of him, how does that end up detracting so much from the rest of the movie?

 

The same people that get upset over that probably also get upset over Han coming up with the nickname Chewie because he doesnt want to say Chewbacca every time in the same film or Poe coming up with Finn from his FN-2187 number in Force Awakens. Or Sheev coming up with 'Vader' out of thin air in Revenge of the Sith 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a really dumb way, forcing the name to be interpreted in the english/latin way. And the scene's symptomatic of the movie just having to take every one of his character traits and tools and make him acquire them in these few scenes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In general, there were some dumb changes in Star Wars after the Disney takeover (at least for the movies, I was never into legends):

  • Suddenly symbols became important, labeling people as rebels or imperial soldiers (I never recognized these symbols in the OT to be honest)
  • objects became important (like Han's dices or the sith objects in episode 9)
  • Stormtrooper armor became completely useless and fragile (could even be shattered with a wooden gaffi lance)
  • talking about the light side of the force (in the old movies there was just the force and the dark side of the force, but really splitting it into light and dark was new)
  • This clear split into dark, light, good, evil led to the conclusion, that you can do anything to somebody labeled as bad and good is good, no matter what it does.

At least this is, how it felt to me. I don't want to start a big discussion around that. Just my personal impression.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

In general, there were some dumb changes in Star Wars after the Disney takeover (at least for the movies, I was never into legends):

  • Suddenly symbols became important, labeling people as rebels or imperial soldiers (I never recognized these symbols in the OT to be honest)
  • objects became important (like Han's dices or the sith objects in episode 9)
  • Stormtrooper armor became completely useless and fragile (could even be shattered with a wooden gaffi lance)
  • talking about the light side of the force (in the old movies there was just the force and the dark side of the force, but really splitting it into light and dark was new)
  • This clear split into dark, light, good, evil led to the conclusion, that you can do anything to somebody labeled as bad and good is good, no matter what it does.

At least this is, how it felt to me. I don't want to start a big discussion around that. Just my personal impression.

 


I want to point out where I think there's misrepresentations and I also want to ask some clarifying questions for where I don't think you're giving enough explanation to help us understand your point. I really don't understand the attitude of not wanting to start a discussion or saying that it's just how it felt to you, a lot of this is definitely up to interpretation but some of this is misrepresentative regardless of how any of us personally feel about it
 

  • What do you mean by symbols becoming important where they weren't before, and how does that relate to what I assume you're saying is people identifying with a cause?
  • The examples you gave for objects becoming important I assume to mean a combination of you feeling like Disney Star Wars is relying on objects to center the plot around, and that it's retroactively giving importance to objects from the Original Trilogy. I agree with your conclusion but your example of Han's dice confuses me, in the OT no attention was brought to it but that doesn't mean there wasn't a story behind it. Trinkets can be incredibly personal to someone, and well now we know why Han keeps it around as both a reminder of Qi'ra and a warning to not be too trusting. I do not see how this is dumb
  • Stormtrooper armor being completely ineffective as armor has been a thing since the OT and reached its height in ROTJ where being pelted with rocks was enough to incapacitate them. It would be unfair to attribute this to Disney Star Wars, although it certainly has far more attention brought to it
  • It is true that 'the light side' was never mentioned in the OT or the PT, but I would like a reason for why it is dumb for Disney Star Wars to use this term
  • I would need an example of Disney Star Wars advocating that 'you can to do anything to somebody labeled as bad'. I would say Rey fits into the category of someone being labelled as a hero and being treated as infallible despite some pretty significant missteps that the narrative doesn't drawn attention to
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

I would need an example of Disney Star Wars advocating that 'you can to do anything to somebody labeled as bad'.

Finn turns to good and never again thinks of his old comrades as his old comrades, all of them are just bad faceless troopers he gleefully murders. Bad guy patrols stop good guys, check them, take them to prisons etc, good guys instantly kill all bad guys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Holko said:

Finn turns to good and never again thinks of his old comrades as his old comrades, all of them are just bad faceless troopers he gleefully murders. Bad guy patrols stop good guys, check them, take them to prisons etc, good guys instantly kill all bad guys.

 

Finn not showing remorse for killing his former-friends is disappointing, however in pretty much every situation it's a case of self-defense. The stormtroopers being faceless bad guys that the heroes murder with no remorse is inherited from the Original Trilogy, it just seems particularly noticeable in The Force Awakens because they went to the effort of humanizing a Stormtrooper

That last sentence also applies to the Original Trilogy 100%

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GerateWohl said:

It was really a new quality of violence when Baze shot an injured on the floor lying stormtrooper in the head, which was not a thread anymore.


Compared to the OT? Sure. What's the problem exactly?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem exactly is, in the OT of course the rebels fought and shot the stormtroopers who attacked them. The real slaughtering started in the prequels, but there the good guys were just dealing with battle droids. So, nobody had to cared about destroying those machines of course.

But somehow it seemed to me, that Disney transfered that violence against the droids 1:1 to the stormtroopers of the first order (apart those who deserted of course).

I understand. You don't see it that way. I do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The problem exactly is, in the OT of course the rebels fought and shot the stormtroopers who attacked them. The real slaughtering started in the prequels, but there the good guys were just dealing with battle droids. So, nobody had to care for thse machines of course.

But somehow it seemed to me, that Disney transfered that violence against the droids 1:1 to the stormtroopers of the first order (apart those who deserted of course).

I understand. You don't see it that way. I do.


Thank you for elaborating. This may surprise you but I actually do agree, I think it's part of the multi-pronged problem of making the main enemy faction seem like trash which is absolutely endemic of Disney Star Wars, and I care about it from the angle of it would make the stories a lot more compelling if it felt like the enemy faction posed a culpable threat, almost as if there's a level of 'respect' for the intimidation they should have

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Holko said:

And the scene's symptomatic of the movie just having to take every one of his character traits and tools and make him acquire them in these few scenes.

 

This is how I feel about the Last Crusade Prologue with River Phoenix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh dear, this is a lot for first thing in the morning...

 

7 hours ago, DarthDementous said:


I'll be honest, I don't really get people putting so much stock into that pretty small scene that's inconsequential to the rest of the movie. Even if you genuinely hate that Han gets his last name from an Imperial that was making fun of him, how does that end up detracting so much from the rest of the movie?

 

I admit I want it both ways: I think the movie was unfairly disparaged because that scene seemed to meet a lot of people's expectations. "Look how dumb THIS is!" But at the same time I like the movie and say that if you ignore that scene the rest of the film is pretty good. It would be better for everybody if that scene just wasn't there.

 

6 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

 

The same people that get upset over that probably also get upset over Han coming up with the nickname Chewie because he doesnt want to say Chewbacca every time in the same film or Poe coming up with Finn from his FN-2187 number in Force Awakens. Or Sheev coming up with 'Vader' out of thin air in Revenge of the Sith 

 

See, I think Chewie's nickname made sense.

 

6 hours ago, Holko said:

It's a really dumb way, forcing the name to be interpreted in the english/latin way. And the scene's symptomatic of the movie just having to take every one of his character traits and tools and make him acquire them in these few scenes.

 

Yup. And it's all Ian Fleming's fault anyway.

 

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

In general, there were some dumb changes in Star Wars after the Disney takeover (at least for the movies, I was never into legends):

  • Suddenly symbols became important, labeling people as rebels or imperial soldiers (I never recognized these symbols in the OT to be honest)
  • objects became important (like Han's dices or the sith objects in episode 9)
  • Stormtrooper armor became completely useless and fragile (could even be shattered with a wooden gaffi lance)
  • talking about the light side of the force (in the old movies there was just the force and the dark side of the force, but really splitting it into light and dark was new)
  • This clear split into dark, light, good, evil led to the conclusion, that you can do anything to somebody labeled as bad and good is good, no matter what it does.

At least this is, how it felt to me. I don't want to start a big discussion around that. Just my personal impression.

 

 

Well, the Imperial symbol was always a thing. The rebel chicken was a little more dubious. And these things became a big deal in the years after the OT anyway. Like, RIGHT after. In video games, books, etc.

 

The Force was referred to as having a "good side" in Empire.

 

You've always been able to mow down Stormtroopers. Just ask Terry Gilliam. (He made a point of it in Brazil.)

 

Oh, you didn't want to start a big discussion. Sorry. (Where do you think you ARE? ;) )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Jay said:

Though I still like Mandalorian most of all, but fear they will screw that up in season 3 by making it more of a continuation of cartoon shows I've never seen than continuing to be a story of Din Djarin and Grogu on its own terms

Honestly I'm not so sure that they will. To me it felt like they used season 2 as a way to set up BOBF and the Ahsoka series, for the latter particularly to set up the character for people who never saw The Clone Wars. Maybe I'm wrong and they'll do an MCU style thing where every character appears in every other show, but I was thinking that all that stuff will mostly be in the Ahsoka show now that her character and motivations have been introduced, and Grogu and Djarin can go off and do whatever in S3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wasn't even referring to Ashoka or Boba.  One of the major threads of Season 2 was the other mandalorian faction led by Starbuck from BSG, and how they want to take back Mandalore.  BOBF even continued this thread by the Armorer sending him to Mandalore to go in the caves or whatever.

 

All of this continues on from cartoon shows I've never seen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.