OBI-WAN KENOBI (Disney+ series)

Hit me up anyone that's interested in maybe a PM thread that's basically just for enjoying all the Star Wars stuff and not putting a lot of pressure on it to be some culture-defining Important Thing.  I don't mean like some forced enthusiasm or not being allowed to criticize, I just mean a space for people interested in talking about what they do like and not interested in dwelling on what they don't, aren't starting from a place of skepticism/pessimism.

When I heard about an Obi-Wan show, I imagined him looking over Luke, getting to know the natives, into some smaller local scuffles, having PTSD flashbacks and dealing with the past.

So they wasted all that on Boba half badly, and instead we get some of that, but also him going to other planets, evil black ladies jumping around on buildings, ridiculous Filoni shit getting circlejerked and time wasted on it, a dumbass pointless stupid rematch with Vader or whatever???

eh

My Boba "eh" was partly me keeping myself unhyped and then it managed to win me over rather quickly. My Boba "eh" turned out to be a very accurate "eh". After that, this "eh" might push Obi to light hatewatching territory for me... but we'll see. I might just skip Andor, Ahsoka and all that crap, and put my hopes in Mando S3.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Never mind. If the score is good, who cares.

This is my entire reaction to the new Lord of the Rings show.

I have no reference to who the bad guys are in this.But I learned today, here in the thread, that it’s the “inquisitor” from Rebels.

Good representation? Bad? I have no idea.

They looked cool in the trailer though.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Hit me up anyone that's interested in maybe a PM thread that's basically just for enjoying all the Star Wars stuff and not putting a lot of pressure on it to be some culture-defining Important Thing.  I don't mean like some forced enthusiasm or not being allowed to criticize, I just mean a space for people interested in talking about what they do like and not interested in dwelling on what they don't, aren't starting from a place of skepticism/pessimism.

image.gif

1 minute ago, Not Mr. Big said:

He's given up but not enough to stop using hair dye yet

His confrontation with Vader will be so traumatic that it turns his hair white

2 hours ago, crypto said:

Kinda makes me wish they hadn't used Palpatine in TROS and saved him for this series instead. Would be nice to see new scenes between Vader and Palpatine (with or without James Earl Jones doing the voice).

TROS gave me for the first time the feeling that I actually had enough of Palpatine.

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

11 hours ago, Holko said:

When I heard about an Obi-Wan show, I imagined him looking over Luke, getting to know the natives, into some smaller local scuffles, having PTSD flashbacks and dealing with the past.

So they wasted all that on Boba half badly, and instead we get some of that, but also him going to other planets, evil black ladies jumping around on buildings, ridiculous Filoni shit getting circlejerked and time wasted on it, a dumbass pointless stupid rematch with Vader or whatever???

eh

My Boba "eh" was partly me keeping myself unhyped and then it managed to win me over rather quickly. My Boba "eh" turned out to be a very accurate "eh". After that, this "eh" might push Obi to light hatewatching territory for me... but we'll see. I might just skip Andor, Ahsoka and all that crap, and put my hopes in Mando S3.

The duality of JWFan

45 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

The duality of JWFan

The duality of Star Wars fandom.

When discussion gets tense the positive fans start to defame the critical fans as haters and the critical ones call the positive fans tasteless consumer sheep. Everybody claims the other party has no idea about the true spirit of Star Wars and in addition serious personality issues.

That's how it is.

27 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

When discussion gets tense the positive fans start to defame the critical fans as haters and the critical ones call the positive fans tasteless consumer sheep. Everybody claims the other party has no idea about the true spirit of Star Wars and in addition serious personality issues.

That's how it is.

Mm

I can sympathise with wanting to escape a flood of negativity though, sometimes it gets way too much mentally even in cases I do think it’s well considered

I just found it hilarious how Holko almost immediately justified Stu’s desires :lol:

11 hours ago, crypto said:

Would be nice to see new scenes between Vader and Palpatine (with or without James Earl Jones doing the voice).

I vote for the voice actor of Vader in The Force Unleashed 1 and 2, or the voice actor for Vader in Fallen Order to replace James if necessary. 

19 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

No need to do that privately, anyone can create an "appreciation thread" for any topic where no negative posts are allowed.  A Star Wars Appreciation Thread sounds nice to me!

As someone who love the prequels, this show definitely feels like a vindication.  And it's been awesome to see more prequel related references making it into the Mandoverse shows too.  Shunning the prequels was just one more reason to hate JJ for me.

I had no problems with the prequels other than in execution… meaning that you have to let your mind fill in the blanks, adding more of “Anakin-kills-Sandpeople-children” type scenarios and make him more dependent of Natalie. Then it’s a super cool ‘fall from grace’ story.

Peeping Obi-Wan“ however seem a little disconnected from both the PT and the OT, other than on just a superficial level. And we have no real need to know where the show takes us, or even figure out the motivation of the main character, because we already know thanks to the movies.

That doesn’t mean the show can’t be cool or even good, though. From a glance, it looks HQ all the way! Here’s to hoping!

Also, am I the only one who’s getting a “Coruscant TV-show-demo” feeling from the city scenes?

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's not even about those who are critical (and expend dozens of pages of threads on their criticism) being "haters."  It's just that the approach to the whole thing is completely opposite of mine and I'm assuming at least some other people.  Like I really really hated TROS, but what you will not find in the giant 45 page TROS spoilers thread is me posting much at all.  When I don't like something I just don't have the desire to dig deeply across dozens of posts into what and why I disliked.  I just move on usually.  I don't think either mindset is right or wrong, just different.  But when I do like something, like Book of Boba, it's a huge bummer to scroll through all the criticism and then I don't post much because it feels like I'd have to "defend" the show which I'm also not really interested in doing.  I just wanna post, like, "That chef droid was lit" and joke around or whatever :lol:

I can understand that. For me, when I don't like something I usually like to really dive into why that is because I don't like holding beliefs that I can't explain, and also because I get great satisfaction out of comparing things I don't like to things I do like when appropriate and figuring out why something works or doesn't work. I think that's why I find adaptations so fascinating because there's a direct point of comparison there. In the case of Star Wars, there's an entire established separate expanded universe to compare and I find it interesting to note similarities and divergences with Disney's. That being said, it's not an ideal frame to experience these shows through because I often just end up frustrated how much Disney's version under-delivers in comparison, so there's some cons like making it difficult to enjoy in isolation. However, overall it at least means I don't end up in a hate-watching frame of mind even if the experience can be frustrating, because ultimately I'm going to get something out of it through comparative analysis.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

As someone who love the prequels, this show definitely feels like a vindication.  And it's been awesome to see more prequel related references making it into the Mandoverse shows too.  Shunning the prequels was just one more reason to hate JJ for me.

Actively rebuking the Prequels in The Force Awakens by eliminating any political elements and associated world-building was such a reactionary and unbelievably terrible idea that reverberated throughout the Sequel Trilogy and knee-capped the entire universe post-ROTJ. If there was ever a time to focus on politics, it would be justifying how an entity like the First Order was able to come about and grow rapidly in resources and how the Resistance was still technically separate from a government they helped instate.

5 hours ago, rough cut said:

I had no problems with the prequels other than in execution… meaning that you have to let your mind fill in the blanks, adding more of “Anakin-kills-Sandpeople-children” type scenarios and make him more dependent of Natalie. Then it’s a super cool ‘fall from grace’ story.

Peeping Obi-Wan“ however seem a little disconnected from both the PT and the OT, other than on just a superficial level. And we have no real need to know where the show takes us, or even figure out the motivation of the main character, because we already know thanks to the movies.

That doesn’t mean the show can’t be cool or even good, though. From a glance, it looks HQ all the way! Here’s to hoping!

Also, am I the only one who’s getting a “Coruscant TV-show” demo from the city scenes?

You definitely aren't, I immediately watched the leaked Star Wars Underworld test footage for the sake of comparison: 

At least from the limited shots in the Obi Wan trailer, I am pleased that the city planet is appropriately bustling like the Underworld one (although perhaps less attention to detail in the little micro interactions in comparison) since both Mando and Book of Boba Fett had the issue of coming across as very barren and limited thanks to both COVID restrictions and the limited space of the digital screens providing the fake backdrop

Prequels suck, sequels suck. Original trilogy is classic. KOTOR 1 and 2 are brilliant spin-offs. The Old Republic is ok but kind of stupid. The Mandolorian is probably good but I don't really care. The Force Unleashed is the best story since the OT, its sequel can rot in hell, and most of Star Wars is pretty fuckin dumb.

You can be offended by that, or view it as the stupid, or reasonable opinion it may or may not be. Either way, I don't need a space to be neutral or negative about Star Wars, and I doubt anyone really needs a space to be positive or neutral about Star Wars. It's like Harry Potter. You either think it's dumb and terrible or not. 

20 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

That's how it is.

Only those of us who saw the film in 1977, in 70mm, are qualified to comment on the last forty years of disappointingly lame sequels.

😎

3 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Only those of us who saw the film in 1977, in 70mm, are qualified to comment on the last forty years of disappointingly lame sequels.

😎

Thanks for reminding me, there's actually a third group of fans.

You did that? 

4 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

😎

You mean, the 70mm blow-up process? Yep, been there, done that.  It even entitles me to diss on ROTJ

7 hours ago, superultramegaa said:

Prequels suck, sequels suck. Original trilogy is classic. KOTOR 1 and 2 are brilliant spin-offs. The Old Republic is ok but kind of stupid. The Mandolorian is probably good but I don't really care. The Force Unleashed is the best story since the OT, its sequel can rot in hell, and most of Star Wars is pretty fuckin dumb.

Story wise, Knights of the Old Republic was probably the most convincing Star Wars expansion, with a legitimately ESB rivalling plot twist to boot - no mean feat, remarkably so considering it's a video game. 

But yeah, one inseparable component of Star Wars discussion and debate is that the god tier fanboys simply cannot handle the criticism - serious and jocular, and generally struggle to be tolerant of dissenting views and opinions, however idle, often preferring to block it out by surrounding themselves with other like-minded gush pansies. It's always been like that since the internet really took off in tandem with the ongoing almighty blunder of the prequel trilogy, which was being laid bare in the old IRC chat rooms of the late 90s and early 2000s. Some of those places were jealousy exclusive at the time, where the extent of the damage was being assessed. 

Even I was in denial, right at the beginning. But then I got real. 

Hey @Quintus, I didn't realise you were back. :wave:

I wonder how will KOTOR translate into the new remake game? This is probably just about the only piece of SW merchandise I am actually curious about. 

Obi-Wan Kenobi trailer looks fine. But outside of a couple of shows, Disney+ hasn't offered me that much good stuff so won't hold my breath.

Karol

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Oh oh

Obi-Wan Kenobi’ Was Overhauled for Being Too Dark; Ewan McGregor Says Character Is ‘Broken Man’

The show changed writers because Lucasfilm was looking, "ultimately, to make a hopeful, uplifting story," said Kathleen Kennedy

I guess, they realized that a frustrated disillusioned Obi-Wan might look too similar to old Luke in The Last Jedi and that their simple recipe "give a character depths by making it frustrated and disillusioned" can also be overused.

Therefore, I really welcome that decision.

That's very discouraging. It's an awful habit of KK's in Star Wars as of late, anything that dares to do anything bold is immediately rewritten and we end up with the tone of grey sludge that most of the live action properties have. Wonderful.

5 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

“Production was delayed from August 2020 to January 2021 to allow the show to bring in new writers and craft a sunnier story.”

Should be noted the word "sunnier" is the article writers language, not anyone from Lucasfilm.