OBI-WAN KENOBI (Disney+ series)

3 hours ago, Brando said:

Then again I’m almost sure they won’t show us Vader at all in any promotional material 

Breathing doesn't count, right?

5 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I was wondering: Haven't you guys had enough of Star Wars?

I don't know, I'm content with just the original trilogy. Just like Thor is content with ost presentations.

I want more!  Feed me!

5 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I don't know, I'm content with just the original trilogy. Just like Thor is content with ost presentations.

yes!

3 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Not if they keep roping Williams back to it.

and yes! Plus it turns out that Powell and Goransson came up with some cool stuff.

It's cool to see Ewan again, but everything else about the show looks really generic otherwise.

7 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I would counter with being more disappointed that they don’t seem that great at exploring the Star Wars universe in interesting ways. If there’s scope for endless Star Trek or Marvel movies and shows of various styles then really the same should be true if the Star Wars universe. However they seem to end up gravitating towards the same planets, tropes and endless fan service so it kinda feels tedious when in fact it need not be. Sadly there’s almost too much riding in it so they don’t seem to want to risk it. Of course you might feel entirely the same about Star Trek and Marvel… 

2 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Of course you might feel entirely the same about Star Trek and Marvel… 

Yeah, It seems I'm not a fan of franchises. 

I couldn't even finish Harry Potter. I haven't seen the last 2 movies.

16 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Haven't you guys had enough of Star Wars?

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I want more!  Feed me!

If Lucasfilm ran a foie gras farm, I'd be their first dish. It's a vice, I know.

Part of me hopes that if I watch long enough, I'll see interesting musical connections (a JW heir, an unexpected callback that I really enjoy, etc.). I've been pleasantly surprised by the two non-JW-penned cameos of "March of the Resistance," and it's fun — albeit extremely time-inefficient — to look for more.

1 minute ago, filmmusic said:

Yeah, It seems I'm not a fan of franchises. 

I couldn't even finish Harry Potter. I haven't seen the last 2 movies.

That’s fair enough. Sometimes there isn’t enough story to maintain your interest. I just think they need to move round the Star Wars universe way more. When half of it comes down to laser fights in dusty towns it’s kinda missing the possibilities of being set in a time and place that isn’t our own. 

I dunno, I just really enjoy watching the Mandoverse shows and I hope that continues with Obi-Wan.  So many people say they're tired of it all but from my perspective Star Wars is finally in a really good spot and I couldn't be happier about it.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

We are all the gluttony victim in Se7en, except we will be murdered with IP content

If you don’t watch it you’ll be the head in a box. 

Just now, LSH said:

Great. Wonderful. 

Now announce the damn composer!

Yeah it’s getting annoying now haha 

Trailer didn't look great visually, but I liked how the music was used. And always down for more Ewan McGregor.

Might actually watch this one...

6 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

DotF is essentially just a hype track in the Star Wars universe now, for better or worse.

Personally I thought it appropriate to use here since Obi-Wan was in the scene that cue was written for.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Personally I thought it appropriate to use here since Obi-Wan was in the scene that cue was written for.

I'm not saying it's bad that it gets used that way. It's always pleasant to hear no matter the occasion.  It's why JW is just so good.

Hoo boy, I only just looked up who's writing this show and his resume is not.... inspiring.

His two most recent produced film screenplays are the stupid Guy Ritchie King Arthur movie and the stupid Zack Snyder zombie movie (the one from last year).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joby_Harold

How about the casting of Joel Edgerton as Owen in the Prequels when he was relatively unknown and now he's a terrific actor with lots of good movies and roles under his belt. 

Excited to see him back as Owen in this!

They lucked out with that original casting!

No, because a mere three years was all there was till the enormous sequel. There was no necessary passage of time for the things I'm talking about to occur and manifest. 

I'm happy I popped back into this thread today--a new trailer (replete with trailerized JW music), new first-look pics, a magazine cover, and new tweets! The Disney hype machine is off to a good start with this one.

4 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I’ve had enough bad Star Wars, that’s for sure, but it’s like Game of Thrones. When it was good, it was really good. I honestly believe with the right writing that show could have stayed interesting forever. Star Wars 77 and Empire are goddamn classics and sequels or spin-offs that are just as good could absolutely be made today. No one’s ever pulled it off IMO and it may never happen, but that doesn’t mean that it can’t be done.

Looked somewhat interesting. I think the use of themes was somewhat well done, almost giving the backstory to Obi-Wan by themselves. Though I also hate the tasteless trailer versions of Williams' material.

The Grand Inquisitor is baffling because we all know he was beat by lesser Jedi than Obi, so he probably can't beat him in a fight, and we know old Ben isn't going to kill him. But Hayden Christenson is back as Anakin, so maybe we'll get something interesting there? Hopefully at least an improved performance from the prequels if nothing else. 

1 hour ago, Romão said:

I hate when they "trailerize" JW's music. It's so tasteless. The prequels did use his music quite well in the trailers without any need to "make it more epic and stuff"

I'd normally agree with you. But considering how trashy most modern trailers are (cough Amazon's LOTR cough), I honestly think this is as good as it gets for classic franchise trailer music these days.

Obi-Wan is going let loose in this series. I'm not worried about that.

I loved the trailer and the thing that popped into my head when I saw it was that at the beginning of this show Obi-Wan is sort of depressed and isolated from what happened in Revenge Of The Sith. This trailer I think shows that side of the story.

But they promised us a Obi-Wan Vs. Vader fight, so Obi-Wan will definitely come out of 'hiding' so to speak.

Also you can see in the trailers that he's doens't just stay on Tatooine. He's on other planets as well.

20 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

When half of it comes down to laser fights in dusty towns it’s kinda missing the possibilities of being set in a time and place that isn’t our own. 

Could it be a budget thing perhaps?

39 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

at the beginning of this show movie Obi-Wan Luke is sort of depressed and isolated from what happened in Revenge Of The Sith after Return of the Jedi.

Mmmmm....

44 minutes ago, Romão said:

I had originally meant to write this fairly long tirade in The Book of Boba Fett thread, but it also applies here, I think.

Stories and universes like Lord of the Rings and Dune, beyond their bare plot mechanics, take indeed their power and appeal from the details. The world building and its inner coherence are more important than the plot itself, and serve to inform and sustain the story in such an integral way, that the whole construct would collapse without that conceptual backbone. In many ways, the world-building IS the story, so there are no extraneous details that exist solely to fatten the universe without any real purpose beyond giving a simulacrum of complexity.

Now, I don't see Star Wars in the same light as those two universes. Star Wars was never about world-building. It was never about a fully fleshed out universe, coherent in its rules and concepts, without which the whole illusion would collapse. No, I've always seen Star Wars as a much more impressionistic creation. The background details don't really matter on their own. They only matter when matched with the main story to form a unified and inseparable illusion. A mythical, archetypical story, yes,  told many times before, but blended in with such a wide array of aesthetical influences to create a considerably original whole. 

Star Wars is much more about what is implied, but never stated, about the surrounding universe, than about outright explaining it and filling every possible narrative gap. The universe around Star Wars is the background for the main story, it gives it color and identity, but it never was the main story itself, it never was the crucial backbone for the narrative. That's one the reasons why JW's musical approach worked so well for those movies, it blended the story and the background, but never in a literal way, never in a constricting way, it never locked our imagination into a single option. By not being descriptive, by not being literal, the music made all those narrative gaps feel alive and fertile ground for our own imagination to do the bulk of the filling of the background details.

I don't want to see the interior of a Sarlaac. I don't want to know the inner workings of Tusken culture. I don't want to know how Stormtroopers train. I didn't even want to know how the Clone Wars actually happened. Those sort of lore-filling details are fine on the back of the packaging of an action figure, or in a trading card or even in a Video Game. Once you make them happen in live-action, it's like suddenly they actually become real and much harder to ignore. And they subsequently change the way one is able to experience those original films. It taints them. It constricts the imagination.

I equate Star Wars almost to a Bizantine or Roman mosaic. When seen as a whole, it looks marvelous:

Emperor_Justinian_and_his_retinue._Detai

But if I isolate and zoom in on some of its tiles, the effect is totally lost

tiles.png

Like I said, Star Wars always felt much more impressionist to me. The details don't matter. The overall effect is paramount. Focusing on the details is actually detrimental to the whole experience and effect.

These TV shows are giving us tiles, not mosaics

Great post... but seriously, you don't want to know how Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes came together? Shame ;-)