OBI-WAN KENOBI (Disney+ series)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

What?

At first I saw this:

Obi-Wan Kenobi’ Was Overhauled for Being Too Dark; Ewan McGregor Says Character Is ‘Broken Man’

The show changed writers because Lucasfilm was looking, "ultimately, to make a hopeful, uplifting story," said Kathleen Kennedy

which made it look like Lucas had decided to scrap whatever they'd come up with so far.

But I can see now that this happened a long time ago - and not something that took place only recently. So, never mind.

4 hours ago, Alex said:

I mean, good luck making a sunny story out of a guy living as a hermit on a desert planet because a Sith lord massacred all his collegues and his former pupil went mental and killed a load of his students before getting barbequed by hot lava.

It will be like Ewan's Big Fish role, a bunch of happy, exciting tales from his years on Tatooine, except it will turn out in the end that he is completely crazy and made everything up. 

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

It will be like Ewan's Big Fish role, a bunch of happy, exciting tales from his years on Tatooine, except it will turn out in the end that he is completely crazy and made everything up. 

...only when he wakes up and we see reality, he's Renton and in rehab.

Whether the show ends up being great or not, I'm glad they changed course from the original plan.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/obi-wan-kenobi-darth-maul-scenes-cut-luke-skywalker-replaced-during-creative-overhaul-1235108192/

I keep seeing people complaining "Kathleen Kennedy blah blah blah", but what this article confirms is that Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni were the ones that came in and said "yeah, this isn't gonna work". The original idea sounds... not good. Plus whether you like Rebels or not, it is canon, and this story would've screwed it all up. I'm not super enthusiastic about the new story either though; I'm not quite sure how Obi-Wan and Vader meeting again is going to work, but I suppose it can if done right.

9 minutes ago, Romão said:

And it's even more ridiculous how they are trying to desconstruct and analyze their dialoge in the first Star Wars, like lawyers looking for loopholes that might somehow justify their encounter after Mustafar.

RotS already fucked it ip, anything goes.

I dunno, even I'd have liked Maul more than that ridiculous looking inquisitor guy and many others having preciois episode time wasted on them. It's one thing that the stupid cartoons are canon but why do their stupid elements have to be forced into all these shows? Why can't they do new things?

11 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I keep seeing people complaining "Kathleen Kennedy blah blah blah", but what this article confirms is that Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni were the ones that came in and said "yeah, this isn't gonna work". The original idea sounds... not good. Plus whether you like Rebels or not, it is canon, and this story would've screwed it all up. I'm not super enthusiastic about the new story either though; I'm not quite sure how Obi-Wan and Vader meeting again is going to work, but I suppose it can if done right.

Yes this is all good stuff being confirmed.  Favloni acting as creative overseers.

I guess Filoni didn't want Obi-Wan to meet Maul on the show because it would contradict Rebels, which he produced? 

In an episode from Rebels, Maul goes to Tattooine and meets Obi-Wan there, who then kills him. It's clear that they haven't met in decades. 

On 09/03/2022 at 7:50 PM, LSH said:

Great. Wonderful. 

Now announce the damn composer!

Let me put this another way...

Actually, no, I'll just repeat:

Announce the damn composer!

17 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Untitled-1.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised.

Go to sleep now Lorne.

I was informed by my son, that 10 of the 12 inquisitors already died in Rebels or other canon comics including the grand inquisitor with the white face. So, in this show they can kill off two of them at maximum.

2 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

You mean to say that Star Wars - the media franchise whose second movie ever completely invented a familial relationship between the original hero and villain; whose third movie fabricated a sibling relationship between the main male and female characters; whose fourth movie had aforementioned villain be the creator/owner of the droid duo from the originals; whose fifth movie invented a conflict between a minor bounty hunter character and the mentor character from the original; whose sixth movie depicts its female lead dying in childbirth despite her only daughter explicitly mentioning she remembered her in the third one; whose ninth main film completely fabricates a familial relationship between its new protagonist and the archvillain from the first six films - is playing fast and loose with continuity?

Shocked, I say!

badum, tsssss

14 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

whose sixth movie depicts its female lead dying in childbirth despite her only daughter explicitly mentioning she remembered her in the third one;

I always assumed that Leia remembered her stepmom from Alderan in episode 6. How would she remember Padme?

19 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I always assumed that Leia remembered her stepmom from Alderan in episode 6. How would she remember Padme?

Because the original lucas idea would have been padme dying in hiding exile on alderaan. Luke clearly specifies if she remembers her real mother, as everyone knew she was a foster child. 

I hope they at least make a clone wars flashback... And anakin tells obi wan that he wished, if they were allowed to have kids, that his son or daughter inherited his lightsaber. 

And then obi wan could decide to give it to luke and uncle owen kicks him away from his house to never come again. 

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I hope they at least make a clone wars flashback... And anakin tells obi wan that he wished, if they were allowed to have kids, that his son or daughter inherited his lightsaber. 

And then obi wan could decide to give it to luke and uncle owen kicks him away from his house to never come again. 

That is exactly the kind of stuff that I don't want to see. Don't just join the dots, that were laid out by the movies. That already annoyed me in Solo. I am not interested in how Han won the falcon from Lando or how he made the Kessel run. He did. Fine. New story please.

22 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Is it really bold to do the same edgelord thing everyone does for movies and TV now?

I thought it sounded too edgy/depressing already based on interviews, so to think it was even more so before is....yeesh.

For Star Wars? Yes. Yes it is. I don't really appreciate the false dichotomy of if it's not optimistic then it's the complete opposite on the spectrum though.

A show focusing on this content should be a more introspective and spiritual piece that pulls no punches. I've read quite a few EU stories that are shockingly dark but still feel like Star Wars, so I know it can be done. I just get very tired of the current era of Star Wars going for a very safe tone where it feels like the edges have been sanded off, because any time it starts to head towards interesting territory it ends up artificially veering back to maintain that ''''Star Wars tone'''' which I think is just code for something that is the most marketable to a wider audience. Understandable for the movies, absolutely not for the expanded material. The point of having all these different live action projects is to provide something different and varied, not just be a pale imitation of the movies.

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Whether the show ends up being great or not, I'm glad they changed course from the original plan.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/obi-wan-kenobi-darth-maul-scenes-cut-luke-skywalker-replaced-during-creative-overhaul-1235108192/

I read that article. The sources are conflicting and the one that says they're from Lucasfilm said that none of those rumors are true, so I don't find it very trustworthy at all. Wouldn't make sense given that Rebels establishes Maul only meets Obi Wan again many years after the show takes place and for a final time. And before people start with the whole 'Disney doesn't care about continuity lol' Rebels is a Filoni property and this article talks about Filoni having oversight on this, afaik he hasn't so blatantly contradicted his own established continuity before so it would be a weird move.

11 hours ago, Romão said:

I honestly find it ridiculous how they are trying to shove a Obi-Wan-Darh Vader rematch into this. And it's even more ridiculous how they are trying to desconstruct and analyze their dialoge in the first Star Wars, like lawyers looking for loopholes that might somehow justify their encounter after Mustafar.

You don't have to look very far, if anything I find people read way too much into the dialogue between Ben Kenobi and Darth Vader to be able to decide that them meeting and fighting 10 years prior to the movie is somehow contradictory. Literally all Vader is saying is that he recognized he still had much to learn when he fought Obi Wan on Mustafar, whether Vader wins or loses the rematch the line will still make sense because a significant amount of time has passed which gives leeway for Vader to have gotten much stronger since then

1 minute ago, Holko said:

I dunno, I see many likely possibilities. Like Mecha-Savage Opress secretly showing up seconds after Obi sliced him in half vertically, taking him to the mech guy and after some operations, now we have two Mauls: Left Side with a robot right side and Right Side with a robot left side.

It's only a matter of time before Star Wars goes full anime like this, other than Visions of course. Although, TROS with its absurd power-scaling already hit that level of ridiculousness...

Just now, DarthDementous said:

Literally all Vader is saying is that he recognized he still had much to learn

Yeah, Vader/Anakin's really one for introspective personal growth without any sudden familial input to start it.

Just now, Holko said:

Yeah, Vader/Anakin's really one for introspective personal growth without any sudden familial input to start it.

Uh, what. Vader's not stupid, he knew he wasn't as powerful as Obi Wan back on Mustafar or else he wouldn't have lost terribly. Nothing particularly deep or introspective about it, if anything Vader's gloating that he's become much more powerful since then

Probably vader will think Obi wan dies this time. Or one of the inquisitors assures vader that Kenobi is dead. The thing is that maybe this should have been 5 years after ROTS and not 10, because it seems vader and obi wan have not seen each other since the duel.

It would work if we see vader almost encountering or finding obi wan but it the end they do not meet.

But of course they wanted to make the rematch of the century.

8 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I was informed by my son, that 10 of the 12 inquisitors already died in Rebels or other canon comics including the grand inquisitor with the white face. So, in this show they can kill off two of them at maximum.

Two of them also died in the game Jedi: Fallen Order, which is also canon (I think).

So I guess they're all dead?

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I’m not enough in the weeds to know what he’s getting at

Twin Suns was the last Maul episode of Rebels (after over a year of storylines building up to it).  Basically, the Maul/Kenobi plot had been developed concurrently with or prior to all of the supposed events this article discusses (a potential Kenobi movie, the original Kenobi scripts, etc.)

25 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Two of them also died in the game Jedi: Fallen Order, which is also canon (I think).

I am not sure if he counted in the game. I will ask him.

Yeah, I was hoping this show would pick up some of the the threads of Solo. Would have liked to see more of Emilia Clarke.

References to the cartoon are a major part of what has made me feel left out of the new TV verse. Oh well.

Yeah. I must have been kinda prescient when I decided to watch all the animated shows a few years back, just for reference's sake. I'm glad I did, but unfortunately I've forgotten most of the details and references now. Still, they're good enough to catch a great deal of what's popping up in the new live action shows.

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

The only reason to get Hayden back is face time - anyone could be in the suit.  Hopefully they use him well!

I think there was an interview where McGregor said something along the lines of "It was great to see him back as Anakin". 

Just hanging too much with the Emperor.

Seriously I'm a day or two with my andalusian relatives and I start to speak with their accent.

Do the same happen with english if they hang with scottish for example? Or newyorkers with californians and so?

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

OK, I checked again. The two from Fallen Order are included, one died in the Asoka novel and the rest, like I said, in Rebels and the Comics. So two more left for killing in this show.

I really think Vader and Obi never met before ANH.

And well, that's why Obi and Luke lived that long!

And if an Inquisitor nearly "caught" Obi Wan on Tatooine, I think he didn't live long enough to report it to Vader...

The key of success for Obi and Yoda was to avoid leaving the Jedi "traces" they talk about in the teaser.

But taking care of leaving no traces, continue to communicate and exercise with Yoda (I don't know how) and keeping an eye on Luke... I don't think it was a pleasure trip for Obi-Wan...