OBI-WAN KENOBI (Disney+ series)

Obi-Wan was born 57 BBY, so he was 38 during ROTS (19 BBY), is 48 at the time of this show (9 BBY), and 57 when he died in ANH

Anakin was born 41 BBY, so he was 22 during ROTS (19 BBY), is 32 at the time of this show (9 BBY), 41 in ANH, and died at age 44 in ROTJ

Luke and Leia were born 19 BBY, so are 10 at the time of this show, 19 in ANH, and 53 in the sequel trilogy

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Obi-Wan was born 57 BBY, so he was 38 during ROTS (19 BBY), is 48 at the time of this show (9 BBY), and 57 when he died in ANH

Anakin was born 41 BBY, so he was 22 during ROTS (19 BBY), is 32 at the time of this show (9 BBY), 41 in ANH, and died at age 44 in ROTJ

Luke and Leia were born 19 BBY, so are 10 at the time of this show, 19 in ANH, and 53 in the sequel trilogy

Definately lucas screwed it up when he set kenobis age in tpm at 25. He wanted him to be a learner... But he could not be older... Or he would look like the last of the class.... He should have been a casual knight of 40 or so. In fact anyway, in rots he looks over 40.

Alec Guiness was 62 when ANH was filmed, and looks like someone in his 60s for sure, not 57...I guess you could say the harsh Tatooine suns aged him lol

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Alec Guiness was 62 when ANH was filmed, and looks like someone in his 60s for sure, not 57...I guess you could say the harsh Tatooine suns aged him lol

Tbh Alec Guiness himself didn't age too well. He looks easily late 70's.

Mmm yes i supose that alec guiness looked older than he was. 

I think at some point luke and leia were 20 even... So you have the 2-3 years difference.

Definately the 70s sixty years are not the 2022 sixty. More like eighties.

I think the whole thing got screwed up when Lucas insisted that we see Luke and Leia being born in Episode III. Then that forces there to be only 20 years between 3 and 4, when they already established Obi-Wan as 25 or so in TPM and Anakin in his early 20s in the subsequent two movies.

Then you're stuck with 50 year old but also elderly Obi-Wan, and the super imposing dark father Darth Vader dying at 45 but being played by a 70 year old man when he takes his helmet off. 

Conceived, yes, but the duel could have been later. I don't think, outside of the iconic nature that needed to be in the movie of the Vader suit, Vader had to have his suit within a day or so of turning to the dark side.

Same thing with Padme dying. The extremely strong implication in Return of the Jedi is Leia knew her mother. If it's just a "the force made her remember" thing, then wouldn't Luke have "remembered" her to some point too?

14 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Regarding padme yeah she should have died in hidding on alderaan years later. 

I believe Lucas went into scripting Revenge of the Sith thinking that's how he'll conclude it.

On 29/03/2022 at 9:23 AM, Luke Skywalker said:

Mmm yes i supose that alec guiness looked older than he was. 

He wasn't: In 1976, Obi-Wan was concieved-of as much older - and the Empire's rise to power having happened much, much further back in the past.

In 1976, Vader wasn't even a burn victim: there was no duel!

It actually would be a great topic for a thesis how Star Wars deals with the concept of time. The weired count down at the end of episode 4 and episode 7. What is the duration of the events of The Empire Strikes Back? Why are almost all species except humans have such a big life span. The growth acceleration for the clones. The return of dead characters as sprits or surviving deadly injuries. All under the timely aspect of experience and development and age in general.

5 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

In an alternate universe, Luke and Leia could have already been born by the time ROTS starts

There are interviews of Lucas from the time of the classic trilogy where he's talking about the prequel trilogy, saying that at the end of it, Luke would be a four-year-old.

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Why are almost all species except humans have such a big life span.

When I was looking up this whole time idea regarding when Luke and Leia were born compared to Obi-Wan being 50 and looking 80, I think before the Disney canon change Qui-Gon was in something like his mid-80s in TPM, Dooku was like 120 or something, Mace Windu was in his 70s or something. Meaning all the humans looked a certain age to us but they were actually much older, probably the sci-fi explanation for medical technology advancing so people live longer.

Look up some of these characters on Wookiepedia and compared their birth years in legends to in canon, it's interesting.

11 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

When I was looking up this whole time idea regarding when Luke and Leia were born compared to Obi-Wan being 50 and looking 80, I think before the Disney canon change Qui-Gon was in something like his mid-80s in TPM, Dooku was like 120 or something, Mace Windu was in his 70s or something. Meaning all the humans looked a certain age to us but they were actually much older, probably the sci-fi explanation for medical technology advancing so people live longer.

Look up some of these characters on Wookiepedia and compared their birth years in legends to in canon, it's interesting.

I kept meaning to post something to this effect. It’s a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. They only look human. There’s no reason they need to have lifespans that are anything like ours. 

Or maybe just accept that the entire chronology of the series shifted wildly as the different entries were made and the backstory reimagined?

According to A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Second Edition (1994), Anakin Skywalker was born in the year 55 BBY, and by Star Wars Encyclopedia (1998) this was changed to 41 BBY.

Episode I is set at a point in the timeline which had long been established as the END of the Clone Wars. Obviously at some point in the creative process Anakin Skywalker was in his 20s in Episode I, and I imagine the centerpiece planet was originally Alderaan rather than Naboo.

Episode II could have then been essentially RotS without Order 66, and Episode III could have advanced forward a few years and been about Darth Vader hunting down the Jedi (hopefully characters we cared about from the previous two films).

By the way, both the 1994 and 1998 timeline have Obi-Wan Kenobi’s birth year as 60 BBY. This makes Ewan MacGregor 28 in TPM (exactly the actor’s age) and Alec Guinness 60 in SW (just 3 years off the actor’s age). Not sure why this was retconned.

Some info on the writing credits for the first 5 episodes and it's seems the overall length for each is 60 minutes.

https://directories.wga.org/project/1221058/obi-wan-kenobi/

Other episodes still on Wednesdays.

Instead of just one episode, however, fans will be treated to the first two installments at launch, with subsequent episodes debuting each Wednesday.

https://www.starwars.com/news/obi-wan-kenobi-may-27

5 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Premiere date change to May 27th.

2 episode premiere

Smart move.

Now we have Obi-Wan on fridays and Ms. Marvel on wednesdays

A couple extra weeks to find a composer for this thing.  

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I do wonder why the delay of just 2 days, missing out on the 45th anniversary tie in

They could have even left the first episode on wednesday, and the second on friday! 

Maybe it's because of the Emmys?

The next ceremony honors episodes aired from June 1, 2021 - May 31, 2022. So maybe they wanted to have two episodes eligible instead of just one? 

That doesn't really explain the shift to Friday, though, they still could have aired one on that day and one on Friday. I dunno. 

That would be a cool choice.

It is really weird that for such a big project with so much anticipation a composer isn't announced.

I think 2 things are the case here:

- They don't want to overshadow the fact that Williams is writing the theme for Obi-Wan. A character he has scored for, for over 45 years. It's a big deal and Star Wars fan are going nuts over the fact that there is another Williams theme for Star Wars.

- They'll wait to announce a composer until May the 4th. Either because it's a big name, because Williams did more than just a theme, or just because it'll fit because it's Star Wars day.

If they announce a composer before May, I think it is because they didn't have a composer up to that point. Otherwise it probably would've been announced already

On 01/04/2022 at 12:02 AM, Cerebral Cortex said:

Maybe they didn't want to air it the day right before the Star Wars Celebration event this year, which starts on May 26th and goes until the 29th. Now it airs during the event.

Premiering the first two episodes during Star Wars Celebration strikes me as very odd. To avoid spoilers, the attendees will either have to watch ~90 minutes of show that morning before arriving at the event... or watch the episodes at the event on their phones. (I suppose it's possible that Disney will somehow present the show at the event.)

The original premiere date was announced not that long ago (the second week of February). Why would the date be changed by two days to make watching the show inconvenient for Celebration attendees, many of whom will have travelled from out of town? The timing of the show's premiere will also take the attention away from the content and announcements from Celebration, even for the fans who don't attend.

Something doesn't smell right. Could it be an April Fool's joke... or another Ewan McGregor lie*?

* The actor admitted to lying for years about not knowing if he would return to play Obi-Wan Kenobi.