OBI-WAN KENOBI (Disney+ series)

7 minutes ago, Van_Etten said:

Obi-Wan learned Sidious' name from Dooku in Attack of the Clones. As for the "Darth" title, it's the only time Kenobi or any other character refers to Vader as such. Never considered it his first name.

In episode 4 Obi-Wan calls Darth Vader just "Darth" (only a master of evil, Darth), which implied that it is his first name and not just a title. The first time I thought that Vader might not be just a name, was when Darth Maul appeared.

43 minutes ago, Van_Etten said:

Never considered it his first name.

Well, in 1976, it was...

In the souvenir program he's referred to as "Lord Darth Vader", i.e. "Darth" was not a byword for "Lord."

As relevant for a new public than for the amnesic old fans from the first hour like me.

What to Watch Before You See ‘Obi-Wan Kenobi’

• Episode I - The Phantom Menace
  • Episode II - Attack of the Clones
  • The Clone Wars Movie
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars — Mandalore Arc (Season 2: Episode 12 “The Mandalore Plot,” Episode 13 “Voyage of Temptation” and Episode 14 “Duchess of Mandalore) (Disney+ Watchlist includes episodes 15 & 16 too)
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars — Mortis Arc (Season 3: Episode 15 “Overlords,” Episode 16 “Altar of Mortis” and Episode 17 “Ghosts of Mortis” (not on Disney+ Watchlist)
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars — Deception Arc (Season 4: Episode 15 "Deception”, Episode 16 “Friends and Enemies”, Episode 17 “The Box” and Episode 18 "Crisis on Naboo”)
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars — Dath Maul Revenge Arc (Season 4: Episode 19 "Massacre", Episode 20 "Bounty", Episode 21 "Brothers" and Episode 22 “Revenge”) (not on Disney+ Watchlist)
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars — The Shadow Conspiracy Arc (Season 5: Episode 14 "Eminence", Episode 15 "Shades of Reason" and Episode 16 “The Lawless”)
  • Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars — End of the series (Season 7: Episodes 9-10-11-12) *Occurs prior (Episode 9) and concurrently with Episode III (not on Disney+ Watchlist)

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

As relevant for a new public than for the amnesic old fans from the first hour like me.

What to Watch Before You See ‘Obi-Wan Kenobi’

• Star Wars Rebel — Season 3: Twin Suns

Why would you watch post-Obi show stuff before watching Obi show?

Me and my brother and sister are all very excited, talked about doing a watch party for the premiere but decided it made more sense to do a watch party for finale, given that we all have kids and one lives over an hour away.

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Meh, the only reason I'll watch the pilot is to see how Holt will use Williams' theme. Otherwise, I'm not hyped at all.

Since the theme was a last minute addition, I'm not sure if it'll even have that 

1 hour ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Why would you watch post-Obi show stuff before watching Obi show?

You are right, I'll remove it.  I saw this suggestion in an article, but I agree, It make no sense.

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Since the theme was a last minute addition, I'm not sure if it'll even have that 

Of course it will. She has talked about it in interviews.

I was shown this image

Messages Image(974125153).png

It looks official but I don't understand why you'd need to watch Clone Wars season 2 episodes 15-16. I haven't checked out the other ones yet. 

Ok, I'll combine my watchlist with theirs, making the "Bespin Supreme Watchlist"!!

Well, I don’t know if this is their reasoning and don’t read spoilers so I have nothing but my own speculation here, but those two episodes are 

Spoiler

heavy on Bail Organa.

It's interesting to rewatch the Clone Wars Movie just after "Episode II - Attack of the clones", and then to watch some selected episodes from the Clone Wars series.

At the time of its release, Episode II was disappointing because it didn't show the actual Clone Wars (that famous Clone Wars we wanted to see since 1977), but only showed how it started... And well, some big pieces were really missing in the movie, like who is this Syfo Dias? Did he really ordered the Clone Army? Count Dooku, wait, who is this guy? These new characters were introduced with very little background story. At the end, this Episode made us asking too many new questions instead of answering to the ones we already had.

Then Episode III was disappoiting too, because it "started" with the "end" of the Clone Wars. WHAT???? Again, many of our questions remained unanswered.

Now, with the Clone Wars series completed (it was only completed in 2020!), the huuuuge gap is finally filled between Episode II & III.

WOAAAA It took more than 15 years to do!!!

Oh yes, George Lucas really played with our heads by releasing his stories in such an unorthodox order...

And I don’t see the day when we’ll see the end of it!

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

It's interesting to rewatch the Clone Wars Movie just after "Episode II - Attack of the clones", and then to watch some selected episodes from the Clone Wars series.

At the time of its release, Episode II was disappointing because it didn't show the actual Clone Wars (that famous Clone Wars we wanted to see since 1977), but only showed how it started... And well, some big pieces were really missing in the movie, like who is this Syfo Dias? Did he really ordered the Clone Army? Count Dooku, wait, who is this guy? These new characters were introduced with very little background story. At the end, this Episode made us asking too many new questions instead of answering to the ones we already had.

Then Episode III was disappoiting too, because it "started" with the "end" of the Clone Wars. WHAT???? Again, many of our questions remained unanswered.

Now, with the Clone Wars series completed (it was only completed in 2020!), the huuuuge gap is finally filled between Episode II & III.

WOAAAA It took more than 15 years to do!!!

Oh yes, George Lucas really played with our heads by releasing his stories in such an unorthodox order...

And I don’t see the day when we’ll see the end of it!

To be fair that gap was already filled many years prior by the old expanded universe Dark Horse Clone Wars comics, but in terms of Lucas-lead works you’re right

Do you think we'll be shown the theme before the premiere?

I don't have Disney+ and I'm not that desperate to watch the series on premiere anyway. I'll wait.

@SilverTrumpet A hint of why Disney+ chose to remind us the Episodes 15 & 16 of Clone Wars Season 2  in their "Watchlist"...

Clone Wars Season 2: Episode 15 - Senate Murders --> The Senate votes for a bill proposing more clone trooper production.

Clone Wars Season 2: Episode 16 - Cat and Mouse --> First encounter of Anakin and Admiral Wullf Yularen.

WullfYularen.webp

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

Today I learned that Obi-Wan almost left the Jedi order for a woman.

One of the things that TCW did that I liked was to set up Obi Wan as a parallel to Anakin, someone with strong attachments but is able to put their Jedi ideals first

6 hours ago, LSH said:

Do you think we'll be shown the theme before the premiere?

I don't have Disney+ and I'm not that desperate to watch the series on premiere anyway. I'll wait.

6 hours ago, Gibster said:

Hopefully thursday/friday

It'll probably be on the New Zealand itunes halfway through thursday. I think they'll release the theme as a single. And then 2 volumes with Holt's music.

I just finished watching the Dath Maul Revenge Arc. It may not have a direct link with the Obi-Wan series to come, but it's interresting to know that the Jedi knew Maul survived. And it's clear Maul was interested in becoming a passive "Jedi trap".

The more I watch these episodes of Clone Wars, the more I discover Obi Wan’s weaknesses, which his enemies can use against him to get him out of his hole in the upcoming series.

16 hours ago, Bespin said:

Today I learned that Obi-Wan almost left the Jedi order for a woman.

It would be wonderful if they made a flashback about Satine in the series. Portraited by Nicole Kidman, but that would be highly unlikely.

I always said that if Anakin watched Moulin Rouge he wouldn't have turned to the dark side. 

If only he knew what a great winder Obi-Wan was. Then again, if he’d watched Trainspotting he might have ended up like Begbie… now that’s the dark side. 

Do you guys really think this show will reference other spinoffs? I figured it would be solidly grounded in Eps. I-VI only for maximal mainstream appeal.

I didn't watch the 7 seasons of Clone Wars, but watching a dozen of important episodes in 3-4 days, I can do that.

2 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

So this show is for fans of the cartoons, then. Damn. Hard pass.

For what it’s worth, the Grand Inquisitor was one of the better parts of Rebels

Although his portrayal here, at least on the surface, seems very…odd

3 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The main vilain from rebels season one appears soooo

I'm still amazed they managed to avoid having Jason Issacs reprise the role. They ignore two iconic voices in Ahsoka and Grand Inquisitor coming to live action but bring someone forgettable like Bo Katan back. Katee Sackhoff isn't exactly the most memorable part of Bo Katan anyway.

@Jay only somewhat related, but any chance we could get a thumbs down reaction?

33 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I'm still amazed they managed to avoid having Jason Issacs reprise the role. They ignore two iconic voices in Ahsoka and Grand Inquisitor coming to live action but bring someone forgettable like Bo Katan back. Katee Sackhoff isn't exactly the most memorable part of Bo Katan anyway.

Although I'm not sure it's been verified, allegedly Jason Isaacs turned down the role because he didn't want to wear the makeup.

45 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

See, this is all Greek to me. And that’s fine. It’s just not for me. I’ll just sit out the present TV-verse and await the next reboot.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Ironically I wanted the thumbs down because I thought the angry face was too aggressive:lol:

That’s a point actually, how does the angry face fit into the whole ‘positive experience’ shtick

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

I don't think we need a thumb down button, you can just add Jurassic and Bruce on your ignore list instead! :D

I've already done that!

Btw, anybody else noticed that @Bespin can't receive messages? Has he been banned?

3 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

I'd love a facepalm emojii personally, 'confused' isn't just quite as good at expressing sheer and absolute disappointment in a response

We have this: :pat: