OBI-WAN KENOBI (Disney+ series)

I’ve caught up on the first two eps. It’s pretty fun, miles better than Boba Fett and a lot of The Mandalorian in my view. It helps that this is actually about a legacy character and doesn’t seem to be jumping through hoops to remind people that it’s Star Wars. 

Ewan McGregor is doing some great work, you really actually believe he could be Sir Alec Guinness in just a few years. He still has the wit and charm from the Prequels but with a bit more texture than Lucas allowed him. There’s a moment late in the second episode that he really sells, and I look forward to seeing more of him in the role.

One thing that surprised me was how much I liked Leia’s young actor. As precocious as a child can possibly be, but she’s got great comic timing and I can totally see her growing up to be Carrie Fisher. There’s more than a few moments where the resemblance to Fisher is eerie, very good casting. It’s a pity the internet will probably hate her.

Well, I unfortunately did not like them. First, the score is awful, except when John Williams theme pops in, but even when it does, it is very disconnected from the rest of the score, that it ends up sounding off. Despite me liking the actress, Leia is a bit on the annoying side, and the way that she was able to outrun her kidnappers and Kenobi is very unbelievable. So far, nothing that justify the series existence so far, and I would put it bellow Boba Fett (which I did like)

Ben Kenobi (the character) is great so far, Ewan is doing a bang-up job selling me on this more dejected and rougher version of the character and it's helping me understand how we got from ROTS Kenobi to ANH Kenobi. Still very much feels like the same character despite the differences which is quite hard to do. I also really liked Owen's scenes, that actor (same one as the Prequels I believe) really sells a younger Owen Lars and I like his shaky dynamic with Ben

The inquisitors are incredibly lame, especially Reva who is a loose cannon that is of help to literally no one. They're not intimidating at all and in-fight more than the actual Sith, I never thought I would gain a new appreciation of the Grand Inquisitor from Rebels given how much the villains in that show get dunked on

I found young Leia convincing in the first episode but she got annoying very quickly in the second one, unfortunately they pushed it too far and now I hope she's not going to be in all of the episodes

Overall this has very similar problems as other live action Star Wars projects, it's very Modern Star Wars(tm), but has more things in it that I like. I'm glad to be finding the main character of a show about the character to be the best part so far

1 hour ago, Sergeant said:

I tried to watch this because of JW theme but the Intro was too much. Who wants this kind of music? Trailer shit with Zimmer fuck flavor!! I'm so pissed off🤮

If by the intro you mean the “Previously On: The Prequel Trilogy” recap, that is definitely just trailer music and not Holt or Williams.

The last 3/4 of the first episode is Very Williamsy and it wouldn’t surprise me to find that they used most of his suite material there, on Tatooine.  In the new world on part 2, that’s clearly all Holt business.  I like it, but if you were expecting Williamsy, you’d be outta luck.  It’s more in line with Disney+ Star Wars crew.

Skipped my run this morning to watch part 2, btw, and glad I did.  Liked it even better than part 1.

I liked it. Holt score isnt great, but I did like the cue for the hanging Jedi.

Also new opening logo music, yay!

2 minutes ago, Counterparts said:

Also new opening logo music, yay!

Are you talking about the bit with the various SW helmets?  The music is now different than what they used for Mando and Boba episodes?

Kennedy should have hired Williams to write a Lucasfilm logo cue that could be used for these shows, and also end in the right key to sound good going into the main title cue for the sequel movies

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Are you talking about the bit with the various SW helmets?  The music is now different than what they used for Mando and Boba episodes?

Yup!

Helmets music is new, I think so too.

The first two episodes were good. Some annoying parts, but overall good.

The score - the shift between Williams/Holt - didn’t bother me at all.

The logo cue is very Haab. A lot better than the previous one.

1st ep.

Score has okay bits. Not much stuck. The first third IMO really overused the JW theme in samey renditions. Credits isn't amazing.

Ewan and Owen are great, they have great scenes too. Unfortunately that's about it. The inquisitors, especially the main one and the girl are awful. Leia's really not great and there's some general not great directing and utterly awful action directing on Alderaan. I hate that Tatooine's a dull cold whitish tan again.

I gotta hand it to them, I loathed the idea of Obi leaving Luke for some adventure scrap, but saving Leia's a good enough excuse. But right after inquisitors tracked a Jedi to Tatooine???

Overall my main feeling was that this will all be completely inconsequential pointless filler fluff with some moderately good moments. A very mixed eh.

I hate that they make credits text pop so prominently and play such rhythmic music under it but can't be bothered to sync the two.

I definitely like the new helmets logo music better. I wonder if it could be Williams. 

3 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Kind of unrelated, but what's that first helmet (after R2) supposed to be? I don't recall seeing that one before.

Phasma maybe?

Ep2. Inquisitors still awful, third sister a lot lot lot more awful. Leia still not great. Action still awful stretched way too long but most of the ep the main characters act with no urgency or fear. Ugh.

Watched the two episodes. It's OK, defintely better than that silly Boba Fett show. And while they do what they can to justify it I still don't know why this needed to happen. 

The music is, well, it is.

Karol

13 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you saying Holt wrote a theme that she had to drop when JW wanted to write one?

Holt revealed that herself: https://variety.com/2022/artisans/news/obi-wan-kenobi-composer-natalie-holt-star-wars-music-1235277978/

Watched the two first episodes and it's a big let down for.

The good: Ewan McGregor is terrific even though I don't like how his character is treated. Owen has a nice appearence, so does Bail Organa. I like the young Leia she's got a really nice energy. SFX are good too (it's SW so what else to expect).

The bad: Too much silly character especially the Inquisitors (Reva on the top of it) who have no charisma or interest what so ever. Script is extremly weak, with crazy inconsistencies. Holt's music doesn't work for me at all, it always feel misplaced (espacially in the final scene of the second episode)

Finally the great: John Williams :wub:

5 hours ago, Holko said:

Ep2. Inquisitirs still awful, third sister a lot lot lot more awful. Leia still not great. Action still awful stretched way too long but most of the ep the main characters act with no urgency or fear. Ugh.

This, mostly, yeah. Urgency. That’s the word I was looking for.   The Third Sister is just not good, and I usually have a terrible acting barometer that never flags bad performances. But she is dull as dishwater. 

I like it enough, but hope it gets better, and am starting to miss Star Wars as a cinematic experience. 

I agree that Third Sister is a bit underwhelming, but Moses Ingram is quite talented, she was great in The Queen's Gambit. I hope her performance evens out a bit (and they give her some better dialogue).