OBI-WAN KENOBI (Disney+ series)

Have any other SW productions used actual publicity photos?  I thought it was amusing to see a ROTS promotional image for his wanted poster. 

F317E67A-3C58-4414-B8AF-73628D7E2832.jpeg

6 hours ago, Bespin said:

You'll be disappointed. The series covers a period (until ROTJ) where we feel the presence of the Emperor, but we don't see him.

Andor will have senate scenes with mon mothma….the emperor has to appear….

Just watched Obi wan

Well the first episode started off promising but the second episode was one of the worst TV episodes I've ever seen. Not sure how they can redeem this.

And I liked both Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett series.

Don't shoot at the messenger, I heard Ian McDiarmid say to lower our expectations about seing the Emperor in the next series!

https://www.ign.com/articles/ian-mcdiarmid-palpatine-appear-again-soon-dont-get-hopes-up?amp=1

On 29/05/2022 at 1:22 AM, Pellaeon said:

NOW the Jedi are all but extinct.

I found it odd that Obi-Wan used the same exact phrase in Part 1 when speaking with Owen. Did he and Tarkin ever read the same propaganda. 

I know a lot of people are giving this show flak for Reva's knowledge of Vader's identity. I think we need to be patient and see where the story goes. 

Reva was one of the younglings seen in the start of Part 1. She would have been familiar with Anakin from his role as a teacher or really old student. It is possible that once captured by the Empire and trained as an Inquisitor, she was brought into the inner circle. 

In the original movie, Obi-Wan told Luke that Darth Vader had once been a Jedi like his father. Tarkin refers to Vader as being the last of the Jedi religion, and Admiral Motti jeers at Vader's Jedi skills. These two Imperials may have been in on the secret, that Darth Vader had once been a Jedi instead of just appearing out of thin air. And if he was a Jedi, there weren't many options left for his secret identity. The rank and file lower soldiers wouldn't know or care. The officers in the second movie (Empire) don't mention it, as they are worried about their necks. In this movie, Yoda and the holographic Emperor drop hints that Luke's father was important, until Vader reveals his shattering truth. 

Of course, when the original movie was released, Luke's father was a separate character and Anakin had not been invented. This is a gray area of the story that needs some clarity as this prequel series continues.

It will be polarizing for generations. 

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

The opening scene was then also really off-putting, I didn't really understand the point of a random depictive of Order 66 being carried out in one random place with no connection to anything else, other than letting them put a "10 years later" under the next scene.

One of the two younglings with speaking parts after their Jedi teacher/protector falls is black. 

Reva is black. 

There aren't many blacks in Star Wars, so when you see a young girl and an older woman ten years later, they might want you to think they're the same person. 

>shrug< neither one of us picked up on that.  Is that supposed to be obvious?  Or is this something explained in the next episode?

I don't mind the idea of the show: I thought the first episode was quite good.

But there are just so many entries in the Disney Star Wars canon set in the timeframe between Episode III and the original Star Wars - Rogue One, Solo and now this - the "stitching" together that we're seeing is becoming just a bit much.

20 minutes ago, LSH said:

This quote from The Guardian's review summed it up for me:

"One of the very first scenes shows characters slaving away in the desert, earning a pittance by scraping scraps of meat from a giant, long-dead carcass. This is either a complete coincidence, or someone at Disney+ is a little more self-aware than they should be."

From the editing, I couldn't tell what the job was. It seemed they were dressed as butchers, but I couldn't tell if the meat they were carving was their lunch for the shift in the carcass/mine, or dinner to take home. Either way it seems unsanitary. 

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

>shrug< neither one of us picked up on that.  Is that supposed to be obvious?  Or is this something explained in the next episode?

This is not explained in Part 2. In fact, Part 2 will double down on something in regards to this. 

6 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

From the editing, I couldn't tell what the job was. It seemed they were dressed as butchers, but I couldn't tell if the meat they were carving was their lunch for the shift in the carcass/mine, or dinner to take home. Either way it seems unsanitary. 

Right!?  It was really poorly done!

I suspect that we’ll revisit that order 66 scene as we learn Reva’s motivations.  (It’s also possibly why she so readily knows Vader’s identity, since Anakin was already called Darth Vader when he went into the temple and attacked)

I assumed he was a meat factory worker, cutting and packaging meat - which is a pretty common job around here so maybe also in space.  I’m surprised that Tatooine has enough water to support effective animal husbandry though!

The creature seems to be a small Neebray (see image below) which is a space creature. I guess it's not animal husbandry, they just took advantage of this giant "crashed" animal. Seems like the job is to prepare the meat and save it for the future, it's just a small job

Spoiler

campo Hacer interior mantas star wars hostilidad tempo asistencia

OK but how can a single dead animal lead to days and days of meat carving work?  Would it start to spoil immediately? 

Or are they traveling to different carcasses each day?

I'm sure it does.  I'll watch episode 2 tonight and episode 3 Wednesday night

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

OK but how can a single dead animal lead to days and days of meat carving work?  Would it start to spoil immediately? 

Or are they traveling to different carcasses each day?

It is huge… maybe the climate preserves it.. i supose they prepare dry meat for long time storage.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm sure it does.  I'll watch episode 2 tonight and episode 3 Wednesday night

Just from ep1 then: what about the Inquisitors? I hated them, the main one looks, acts and sound terrible, like a cereal commercial level villain, and the girl's just awful. Also even they're confused about their motivations: do they want to find and kill Jedi or look cool? Do they want to be villains and effective, or nice antiheroes who can't go around threatening and mutilating poor innocents?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The opening scene was then also really off-putting, I didn't really understand the point of a random depictive of Order 66 being carried out in one random place with no connection to anything else, other than letting them put a "10 years later" under the next scene.

Spoiler:

Spoiler

Reva is the main youngling the camera keeps focusing on. That scene will apparently relate to the plot later on in the show.

If you don't want to read the spoiler, then just know that it will relate to the plot going forward.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

I really find it hard to believe how you guys' brains work.

Simple. Bad directing and bad writing and bad acting add up to bad.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Leia was far more offensive, none of her scenes felt right at all.  I hate to pick on child actors, but this one was annoyingly bad and should have been recast

Yeah, I don't want her to be "Jake Lloyd'ded" by the fandom but her scenes were really bad (because most kids are terrible actors).

There's also this weird thing on twitter where grown adults are stanning for Baby Leia and pretending that she was actually cool.  

These people should all be put on an FBI watchlist 

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

I really find it hard to believe how you guys' brains work.

The people who wrote that shit script have no brain at all. What a waste of 8.99€...

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I think it's one of those things where it's supposed to be JUST obvious enough where clickbait websites notice it and can point it out as an easter egg, but subtle enough where if you're casually watching, you'll be knocked off your socks when they inevitably reveal it in the second to last episode. 

5 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

There's also this weird thing on twitter where grown adults are stanning for Baby Leia and pretending that she was actually cool.  

Those are just Disney plants. It definitely does come off super creepy because of how excited they have to be.

...then again, it is Hollywood culture, so maybe they should be on a list. 

I don't make a habit of spending time pointing out things I don't like about media I consume, and generally expect more things to be bad than good these days with how many streaming services there are and how much content they need to have  - there's only so many good writers out there.

But in this particular case, a high budget, high profile Star Wars show that stars a major actor & character from the prequels and effectively acts as an episode 3.5, really deserved better writing, directing, and acting than what I've seen on display in one episode.

As always, I remain optimistic as I've watch tons of shows whose first episode of episode(s) were not very good, but overall the show turned out to be great.

Just now, mstrox said:

I’ve liked all the Young Leia stuff so far, Big, so put me on your Watchlist!

Just reported you to the FBI

Just now, Stu said:

The show can't be talked about at all here without having to mount a defense or wanting to engage in a debate.  It sucks.

Like every Disney property... coincidentally (?)

At the beginning, they show 5 younglings escaping order 66. 

After watching the 2nd episode, do the math...

It's why I talked about a Jedi "body" count in an earlier post...

:lurk:

It remembered me Blade Runner, where we tried to count the remaining replicants to hunt down!

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

The show can't be talked about at all here without having to mount a defense or wanting to engage in a debate.  It sucks.

None of my posts invite a debate at all.  I only posted my honest opinions after watching an episode of television.

It is a good thing that all of us have different takeaways from watching the same content, it would be boring if we all agree on every aspect.  There'd be nothing to say.

One thing I really enjoyed about watching the episode was the cues with Williams' theme.  They were all great!  I hope they are on the album.

Its obvious reva blames kenobi for ruining her life since she was a child. They want us to believe she wants to capture or kill kenobi to please vader and get hight in the inquisitors ranks.

44 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Its obvious reva blames kenobi for ruining her life since she was a child. They want us to believe she wants to capture or kill kenobi to please vader and get hight in the inquisitors ranks.

Yes to the second sentence but no to the first. 

She's an Inquisitor. She's been brainwashed by the new regime. She uses a red bladed lightsaber which means she is in tune with the Dark Side. I don't think she would blame the Jedi for ruining her life. She would blame them for holding her back for the first half of her young life. The Dark Side and Empire offer power and freedom that the Jedi refused to embrace. She serves her Empire. They have improved her life now. As a Jedi youngling, she was no doubt taken from her family long enough before this story even started. 

Spoiler

Of course, my prediction is that over the next four short episodes, she will inevitably become the heroine of the story and be redeemed because Girl Power. 

She will want to capture Kenobi to gain favor with Vader, of course, because she is young and ambitious. The other Inquisitors respect Vader enough to let him be the one to chase Kenobi because it's personal. 

My not so clever theory on why Reva is so personally pissed at Benny:

Spoiler

During Order 66. It was Obi-Wan who recalibrated the Jedi Temple Beacon warning all Jedi to stay away.  Any Younglings left behind or hiding were abandoned at his personal request.  Reva was one of the Younglings, and saw Obi’s message, obliterating any hope of rescue by Jedi  

13 minutes ago, Andy said:

My not so clever theory on why Reva is so personally pissed at Benny:

Hide contents

During Order 66. It was Obi-Wan who recalibrated the Jedi Temple Beacon warning all Jedi to stay away.  Any Younglings left behind or hiding were abandoned at his personal request.  Reva was one of the Younglings, and saw Obi’s message, obliterating any hope of rescue by Jedi  

Spoiler

There are not many who are aware that Vader is actually Anakin Skywalker. She just stayed true to Anakin. Jedi are the enemies, they betrayed her, like they betrayed Anakin. The smartest of all of them was Ashoka who left the Jedi order in the course of the Clone Wars. Jedi were true idiots.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I watched with my wife who is perfectly capable of enjoying really silly TV shows, but even she brought up how ridiculous it was that 3 trained professionals couldn't capture her in the woods, and that it even seemed like she ran as fast as them.  It was a really poorly done chase scene!

Not if you grew up watching the Ewok TV movies. ;)  I had flashbacks of little Cyndel running from Endor bandits. But I agree, it was clumsily filmed. 

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Hide contents

There are not many who are aware that Vader is actually Anakin Skywalker. She just stayed true to Anakin. 

Spoiler

But Anakin’s blue 501st troops attacked the temple.   It seems unlikely he’d immediately take her in on the spot, when he showed no mercy with other Younglings.   She could’ve maybe seen the “live” filming of Palpatine praising Lord Vader in the temple assuming she wasn’t detected.