OBI-WAN KENOBI (Disney+ series)

1 hour ago, karelm said:

I totally agree.  In fact, third sister shouldn't have known that was his name.  that was a misstep.  She should only know him as Vader.

I frankly wish they had more of a stare down.  '60's western style.  No words and no engagement at all.  Just let the eyes, body, and music tell the story for a minute of just tense build before Ben escapes since he's been found.  He knows he'll lose.  And leave it at that.  That totally would have worked if they had faith in the fans.  @Jaycan this thread title be changed to include "spoilers" since this is on demand and I handn't seen the episode, not realizing what happened till minutes ago.  Would prefer not to know ahead of time that this is a spoiler thread.  

Seconded, this appears to be the only active thread about the show and I assumed the general rules of freely being able to talk about episodes that dropped applied here. Wouldn’t want others to have the opposite idea though so some clarity would be good

11 hours ago, Andy said:

You’re not wrong @Jurassic Shark  

Sometimes I can’t help myself but dabble in some discussion.  But when I find myself having to defend, I get exhausted and withdraw.  I just have grown so tired of getting nowhere with some of that kind of thing. 

If I could have back all the time I’ve spent on the Internet debating the Prequels, I’d be a happy man. 

I think i would get ten years younger…

16 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Despite being very critical of the Prequels that whole ending sequence of ROTS makes me extremely emotional

The score is what is gluing it together and the part where everything goes wrong even if it's in dumb ways

44 minutes ago, Andy said:

And that’s totally okay too. I’ve been at it long enough to be okay with not having to defend what I like or try to convince others they should change their mind.   If I sat down and really went over it, I’m sure I’d understand the problems with it better, but who has time for that?  I go mostly by feel. And Rise of Skywalker makes me feel good every time.  

Like everyone, I’ll come to complain about things I don’t like, but it’s much more satisfying to celebrate what I do like.  I’ve been trying to check myself if I’m posting too negatively, because … like what you like and buy what you like. 

And that's perfectly fine. If I enjoy something like you TROS then there is no need to ask why. But I didn't feel that way and I know why.

9 minutes ago, Romão said:

we just took a nearly empty bottle of shampoo and refill up to half with water, in order to dilute and stretch whatever little shampoo was left.

My parents did this even in the home. I often do the same. It's also a good way to stretch spaghetti or any other kind of sauce: add a bit of water or milk, based on what you're cooking. 

I couldn't finish Book of Boba Fett because it was terrible. So poorly made I couldn't force myself to watch the later episodes. And I think I'll do the same to Obi-Wan.

Holy hell, the atrocities that these newer screenwriters and directors are doing to Star Wars under Disney's watch are making me miss the Prequels. Heck, there's fan films with better direction and fight choreography than that awful battle with Vader.

2 hours ago, Positivatee said:

My parents did this even in the home. I often do the same. It's also a good way to stretch spaghetti or any other kind of sauce: add a bit of water or milk, based on what you're cooking. 

It’s almost necessary for a jar of spaghetti sauce.   Otherwise you leave, what, maybe a good 15% in the jar.  And it’s usually too thick anyway. 

The shampoo I don’t do though. (I’m nearly bald) But I recall being startled when tipping and squeezing the bottle and a shitload of diluted shampoo flies through your fingers. 

3 hours ago, Romão said:

This show reminds of something that used to happen when I played football when I was kid, and me and my teammates never had enough shampoo to shower, because a bunch of us always kept forgetting to bring it. So we just took a nearly empty bottle of shampoo and refill up to half with water, in order to dilute and stretch whatever little shampoo was left. This is what this show feels like

Exactly right. "We got a movie script... oh wait,  it's a miniseries now? Ctrl+c, ctrl+v. There."  Now he'll have to rescue Leia again.

i didn't understand the wipes criticism to be honest

I think I was off Star Wars before The Force Awakens, the became hyped, then got off Star Wars, then went to see The Force Awakens and went home absolutely bored, and I thought "oh, it's all going to be like this". (because it really goes downhill quickly after the first act, which probably also means the first act is all wrong). Then a year later I saw Rogue One and I actually had fun, but I thought it could be better. Then I essentially forgot about Star Wars and treated it like a doomed thing, merely thinking that there was pretty photography in the trailers (it was the same in the movie). I was surprised seeing the movie, as it tried to be more fun fun than The Force Awakens, but ultimately it depends on it and it also had other problems (it's like when you have a great idea for a sword duel and a great set but most of the choreography sucks, for instance). And at that point I saw so many threads going into the next movie that I thought it was going to suck, since that movies has to tie itself, has to tie three movies, and has to tie nine movies, so the writing was on the wall.

Ultimately the problem here is the copyright laws, corporations being able to own an IP, and Disney buying and owning things (Disney makes deadlines, not movies).

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Exactly right. "We got a movie script... oh wait,  it's a miniseries now? Ctrl+c, ctrl+v. There."  Now he'll have to rescue Leia again.

I think they have made a mistake going to shows

I cannot believe that Obi Wan Kenobi; the greatest Jedi Knight in the Galaxy, the one who defeated Darth Maul in combat and Anakin Skywalker at the height of his powers, the one who fought for good and peace for decades, who led hundreds of complex missions for the Republic and the Jedi...actually ACCIDENTALLY whoopsie daisy silly me called Leia by her real name IN FRONT of some Stormtroopers, contradicting his own story and risking her life.

Thanks Disney.

I am so sorry Lucas for ever thinking your dialogue was cheesy or clunky in the prequels, it was damn shakespeare compared to this show.

Kenobi: "What have you become?"

Vader: "I am what you made me."

Also Vader: "You should have killed me when you had the chance."

Also Vader: "Now you will suffer, Obi Wan."

Also Vader: "Your pain has just begun."

It actually hurts.

Satellite dish head: "you go too far Reeva."

Reeva: "you don't go far enough."

You can literally predict every cliche awful line. 

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Holy hell, the atrocities that these newer screenwriters and directors are doing to Star Wars under Disney's watch are making me miss the Prequels.

Welcome to 2015, @Edmilson!

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

actually ACCIDENTALLY whoopsie daisy silly me called Leia by her real name IN FRONT of some Stormtroopers, contradicting his own story and risking her life.

That was hilariously bad. I literally couldn't believe Disney made none other than Obi-Wan Kenobi commit such a rookie mistake.

It seems like the goal of this show is only to further humiliate and demoralize his character.

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Also Vader: "You should have killed me when you had the chance."

When Vader said this, I immediately imagined Kenobi responding with:

"No, you were right, I couldn't kill the man...  *Ignites Lightsaber*  But I can kill the machine!"

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

That was hilariously bad. I literally couldn't believe Disney made none other than Obi-Wan Kenobi commit such a rookie mistake.

Just a lame excuse to have the whole "she reminds me of her mother" conversation

Between this and the Grand Inquisitor being killed here and in Rebels...and I think in The Book of Mando with Yoda's lightsabers, can we assume this so called story group was just to give a job to someone's friends as opposed to keeping track of canon? 

The grand inquisitor will be alive but yes. I laugh at some of the magnificent continuity they wanted to achieve in the new canon....

In the end it is just placing easter eggs in the tv or film media. and breaking canon when they want. Nothing that they could not do with the old EU.....

There's already some articles on the internet defending the show's loose relationship with the timeline from the films. I wonder if there is Disney money behind these...

obiwan1.JPG

obiwan2.JPG

I won't post the links here, if you want to read go after them yourself.

Just now, Edmilson said:

There's already some articles on the internet defending the show's loose relationship with the timeline from the films. I wonder if there is Disney money behind these...

obiwan1.JPG

obiwan2.JPG

I've seen a lot of people strawmanning the shows detractors as racists, embittered fans, or kid-haters.  Like, nah, it just really sucks.  

The Disney statement on racism was specifically directed towards people sending explicitly racist comments and messages to an actor.  Other people who didn’t like the series assumed (it had something to do with) (the world revolved around) them and got their knickers in a twist.

7 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The Disney statement on racism was specifically directed towards people sending explicitly racist comments and messages to an actor.  Other people who didn’t like the series assumed (it had something to do with) (the world revolved around) them and got their knickers in a twist.

I'm talking less about the official Disney statements and more about a lot of the actual fans defending it (on Twitter and various forums).

For Disney properties especially, it seems like a lot of the supporters dismiss any detractors as having some kind of moral failing (racism, sexism, etc).  

There are of course a lot of actual racist fans but I feel like a lot of legitimate fair criticism is being shot down on false moral grounds.

I’m on record that continuity is a death cult and that much like the major comics companies were before it (and will be again), Star Wars was well served by a continuity reboot.  However, that ComingSoon article isn’t actually talking about continuity, but is talking about an assumption we all made based on Vader and Obi-wan’s dialogue in Star Wars about when they last met.  It’s a logical assumption, likely the MOST logical, but still just an assumption.

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I’m on record that continuity is a death cult and that much like the major comics companies were before it (and will be again), Star Wars was well served by a continuity reboot.  However, that ComingSoon article isn’t actually talking about continuity, but is talking about an assumption we all made based on Vader and Obi-wan’s dialogue in Star Wars about when they last met.  It’s a logical assumption, likely the MOST logical, but still just an assumption.

I agree that the continuity thing doesn't REALLY matter (especially one as minor as that). 

The poor direction/cinematography, bad writing, and bad score are the real reasons the show sucks.

I don't particularly care about canon or continuity and I think it often restrains and contracts the storytelling, but when you make a show, relying on the goodwill and love for characters created and developed in far superior works of fiction, at least try not to demean these works nor do things that contradict their spirit and change their narrative flow.

The only possible way to interpret the spirit of the duel between Vader and Obi-Wan in A New Hope is that these two were former master and pupil and this was their first time meeting after having a major falling out. That's the whole spirit of the scene and of its buildup. To deny this is demeaning to the original film. And Disney so-called "storytellers" act more like lawyers looking for loopholes in the dialogue exchange between Vader and Obi-Wan to somehow justify them meeting again between episodes III and IV. It's lazy, it's trashy and its demeaning to the storytelling and narrative of the original film.

They have a good solution to avoid these sort of problems and creative bankruptcy: create your own characters and timelines and leave, for the love of God, the Original Trilogy alone, specially episodes IV and V

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

34 minutes ago, Romão said:

I don't particularly care about canon or continuity and I think it often restrains and contracts the storytelling, but when you make a show, relying on the goodwill and love for characters created and developed in far superior works of fiction, at least try not to demean these works nor do things that contradict their spirit and change their narrative flow.

The only possible way to interpret the spirit of the duel between Vader and Obi-Wan in A New Hope is that these two were former master and pupil and this was their first time meeting after having a major falling out. That's the whole spirit of the scene and of its buildup. To deny this is demeaning to the original film. And Disney so-called "storytellers" act more like lawyers looking for loopholes in the dialogue exchange between Vader and Obi-Wan to somehow justify them meeting again between episodes III and IV. It's lazy, it's trashy and its demeaning to the storytelling and narrative of the original film.

They have a good solution to avoid these sort of problems and creative bankruptcy: create your own characters and timelines and leave, for the love of God, the Original Trilogy alone, specially episodes IV and V

Agreed 

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

Why was the expanded material of Star Wars at its highest general quality when continuity was rigorously upheld by the Lucasfilm Story Group (of the time) then?

59 minutes ago, Romão said:

And Disney so-called "storytellers" act more like lawyers looking for loopholes in the dialogue exchange between Vader and Obi-Wan to somehow justify them meeting again between episodes III and IV.

Fans did it first.

It's conversations like these that make me glad that I keep Star Wars at arms-length. Doctor Who is more built for this kind of thing. Loose canon, bizarre continuity, wild variations in quality? That's my bread and butter. If it's a rip-roaring adventure then it's Doctor Who. If it's a sluggishly-paced piece of hot garbage, you'd better believe it's also Doctor Who. It's all gloriously inconsistent, and best of all, if you really don't like something then you can just pretend it never happened. Chances are the next writer will do the same!