OBI-WAN KENOBI (Disney+ series)

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Is the Inquisitors Fortress on this episode the same you infiltrate on the last level of Jedi: Fallen Order?

Funny you should mention that, I remembered some key pieces of dialogue around that level:
- Greez: "This isn't good. With the defences they got our usual tricks just aren't gonna cut it."
- Cere: "Once we're inside I'll engage their defence level. And then sabotage their sensors so the Mantis can extract us."

- Cere: "I've disabled the shields on the outer sections of the Fortress. Flood the base and swim to the central keep."

Meanwhile 5 years later in Kenobi:
"So that's it? Fortress Inquisitorius. It's impenetrable, Wade"
"I don't see any shields."
"That's because no one would be stupid enough to attack them."

:pat:

We learnt the ability to use the Force is compromised when the mind and body needs healing.

Through Obi-Wan, we see what Anakin is also going through. The parallel is amazing.

That's what I wanted to say.

Only 2 Episode remaining... Will Obi-Wan hear his Master's voice in the last scene? That's my guess.

I have to admit that the heroic/action version of Obi's theme during the action scene was frankly not bad.

And the soft little music during the final scene (The Last Jedi vibes, in the picture too) I'm waiting for the music edit now!

I'm enjoying this, but not as much as I wanted to, if I'm being honest.  Obviously the music, but I think the direction of the action is absolutely bland.  Benny getting command of the Force back after not being able to force pull that small object should have been a goosebumps moment.  I really wanted some chills when he is forced into lightsaber action in the Imperial pyramid thing.  That's a moment where scoring, photography, and editing should have you jumping out of your chair.  Huge missed opportunity to deliver some excitement and dramatic energy.  But there were some very dodgy action wide shots of Benny deflecting blasters, which I can only blame on the direction.  The action is very soft.  I want more thrills.

Lil' Leia and Ewan are great though, and I'm hopeful the last 2 episodes will make some meaning out of this.  Again, I like it, but I'd really hope to love it.

I'm gonna say it. I was high off of nostalgia with Obi-Wan, but once it wears off I realized this is just a generic action series. Reva is a tryhard character. Leia was a great casting with well written zingers, but too many unrealistic scenes with her. I'm not sure about Vader either. I feel like the showrunners are torn between trying to be gritty or appealing to kids. Pick one and move on please.

I think Obi Wan would work a lot better if this period between Episode III and the original Star Wars wasn't already so jam-packed with properties that are preoccupied with "stitching" the entries together: Rogue One, Solo, etc...

Its just too much stitchwork.

Two thirds though this thing, it's become apparent that it's just mediocre. Beyond some fleeting moments, the only consistently good element is Ewan McGregor's Obi-wan.

What a waste of perfectly good nostalgia.

Part 4, just wow. I'm incredibly confused by the whole Reva interrogating Leia, did I miss something because the whole time all I could think is "why would Reva think Leia knows anything"? Reva paid some mercenaries to kidnap Leia because of Bail's link to Obi-Wan, to draw him out. So surely Bail is the one you'd be going after? How did Reva even find that tunnel in part 3? Painful convenience, like not having shields on the Inquisitor's base (even though the one building that has the Imperial archive's on Scariff means the whole planet is shielded!). Surely instead of having Tala (that somehow bluffed her way through when the other officer should have just radioed to corroborate her story) could have planted a program that has a timer to lower the shields thus giving the episode a ticking clock? Obi-Wan struggles to catch Leia, move that thing in this episode but is somehow able to keep the water from breaking the glass. The snow speeders just disappearing till they're needed again, no joke they literally disappear between shots. And I really hate to say it, but of the three new characters introduced in this episode the white male dies, which feels incredibly transparent. Not sure if the episode is implying that this is where Vader took the idea to hide the tracker in ANH, I don't completely dislike it, but just don't care about Disney prequel era stuff trying to set up things in the OT.

Ewan really felt on autopilot this episode, his performance wasn't bad but kind of middling. The actress playing Leia is doing a great job, I think this episode was better for her than the others. Reva was also better, the problem is how we got here. The scene with the force users on ice was creepy but cool. And I did like the scene with Tala and Reva, while I didn't doubt that Tala was a rebel it was fun to watch her trying to convince Reva that she was a spy for the Empire.

Apart from the tracker on the droid this episode was complete filler that with a little reworking could have been dropped completely.

We have two episodes left, the biggest questions on my mind are, how are they going to redeem Reva and how are they going to set it up so when Vader says "When I left you I was but a learner, now I am the master" in ANH so that it feels earned.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

That's really not the issue. But when in the 4th episode Obi-Wan talks to a "Rebel" and says "You must help me." and the rebel says "No." and Obi-Wan replies "You have to. You don't know what the empire is capable of." and then this rebel guy starts telling his sad boring story and you just think, hang on, you're just wasting time, you are going to help him anyway. That's an issue.

That dialogue was laughably bad. I couldn't care less about the sad story of that random Rebel guy.

26 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

That dialogue was laughably bad. I couldn't care less about the sad story of that random Rebel guy.

Agreed, the whole "you don't know the Empire" "Um actually I do" felt really forced but also completely redundant and trying to create false tension.

1 hour ago, Groovygoth666 said:

And I really hate to say it, but of the three new characters introduced in this episode the white male dies, which feels incredibly transparent.

LOL what? I didn't even notice that, this feels like political projection to me. To call any of them characters is a stretch anyway, the show barely focused on them because it was more interested in doing Star Wars-y setpieces (which are really boring if you're not invested in the characters)

13 hours ago, mstrox said:

Surprise, I liked this one!  I think it was nice and tense, the Imperial defector character is a good addition to the team, and the Jedi tomb scene was really chilling and poignant.

Sweet, someone who got meaning out of the Jedi tomb scene. Can you tell me what you think that was meant to add to the episode? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious because I was kind of confused by the placement of that scene in the episode

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I think Obi Wan would work a lot better if this period between Episode III and the original Star Wars wasn't already so jam-packed with properties that are preoccupied with "stitching" the entries together: Rogue One, Solo, etc...

Its just too much stitchwork.

Agreed, I can't help but wonder that if they were given hard limits like 'Obi Wan has to stay on Tattooine' or 'no Vader' whether that would've encouraged them to focus more on fleshing out the settings and the characters since they can't rely on nostalgic elements so strongly to keep people's interest

Speaking of novelizations (@Andy your parody excerpts have been hilarious, keep 'em coming), I recently finished the Kenobi novel that came out in 2013. It's set about 5 or 6 years before the time the Kenobi show would be taking place and my god I can't recommend it enough. It's giving me everything I wanted from the show, and if you're similarly disenchanted then you're probably going to get great value out of it. Great characters, intimate stakes but powerful emotions, amazing fleshing out of Tattooine's various societies from the farmers, the Hutt faction, and even the Tuskens. This is the best I've seen Obi Wan's character, one hell of a standup guy that's struggling to keep hidden and guarded whilst also having strong urges to help people out, yet ends up unintentionally forming a quick but strong bond with a local farmer family. I never really understood just how hard Obi Wan's life was post-ROTS until this book, imagine having this immense grief that you can't talk about to anybody because the galactic government will find you out. I have so much more respect for Ben now. Also recommend getting the audiobook version because the narrator does an excellent job and does an absolutely spot on Ewan McGregor Obi-Wan. Part of it made me sad because some of the material is so potent with its drama that I wish I could've seen Ewan act it out instead of the material he was given for the show which is really not giving him much to work with

4 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

LOL what? I didn't even notice that, this feels like political projection to me. To call any of them characters is a stretch anyway, the show barely focused on them because it was more interested in doing Star Wars-y setpieces (which are really boring if you're not invested in the characters)

You're right it could be projection on my part, regardless of whether or not you consider them characters this episode introduces us to three new people, one female poc, a male poc and a white male. The white male is killed, but why? Would it be so terrible if the female poc was killed by Reva? Or even the male poc who was reluctant to help Obi-Wan till he wasn't? 

Like you say it could be projection, but for me it's one of those things that is hard to ignore, and I'm forced to ask why are the diverse characters safe?

I know we're not supposed to be political on here but this was an instance that really jumped out at me. And I won't argue if that's something that you or anyone else didn't notice or care about, but to me it was very obvious and felt it was worth addressing.

Just now, Groovygoth666 said:

You're right it could be projection on my part, regardless of whether or not you consider them characters this episode introduces us to three new people, one female poc, a male poc and a white male. The white male is killed, but why? Would it be so terrible if the female poc was killed by Reva? Or even the male poc who was reluctant to help Obi-Wan till he wasn't? 

Like you say it could be projection, but for me it's one of those things that is hard to ignore, and I'm forced to ask why are the diverse characters safe?

I know we're not supposed to be political on here but this was an instance that really jumped out at me. And I won't argue if that's something that you or anyone else didn't notice or care about, but to me it was very obvious and felt it was worth addressing.

I think with cases like these you need to establish something other than circumstantial evidence. For example, a movie with men and women where only women die isn't inherently sexist, you gotta think about what kind of message are they actually putting out there whilst taking the context into account

In the case of this episode you've narrowed in on one of the side characters dying who happened to be white. What were the circumstances of the death? Was it demeaning or was it heroic? Did it affect the characters or was it dismissed? I think you would also need to look at the rest of the series to see if there's a pattern of only white characters dying, and if there isn't well then that certainly breaks the narrative

I think they're casting more diverse than they normally do for Star Wars and so you're probably noticing that there's characters of different races popping up everywhere now, so when there is a white person it's not just 'oh that's just another character' but rather they stand out comparatively so your focus was more on them than usual. Once this stuff is normalized I think you won't even blink when it happens, but we're in a bit of a transitory period for the franchise and I can understand it being more noticeable as a result

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:

I think with cases like these you need to establish something other than circumstantial evidence. For example, a movie with men and women where only women die isn't inherently sexist, you gotta think about what kind of message are they actually putting out there whilst taking the context into account

In the case of this episode you've narrowed in on one of the side characters dying who happened to be white. What were the circumstances of the death? Was it demeaning or was it heroic? Did it affect the characters or was it dismissed? I think you would also need to look at the rest of the series to see if there's a pattern of only white characters dying, and if there isn't well then that certainly breaks the narrative

I think they're casting more diverse than they normally do for Star Wars and so you're probably noticing that there's characters of different races popping up everywhere now, so when there is a white person it's not just 'oh that's just another character' but rather they stand out comparatively so your focus was more on them than usual. Once this stuff is normalized I think you won't even blink when it happens, but we're in a bit of a transitory period for the franchise and I can understand it being more noticeable as a result

Hhmm arguably most of the characters so far that have been killed or injured have been white, the guard who popped up during Leia's kidnap, the woman on Tatooine that Reva disarmed, the Jedi on the run, Flea being seemingly killed by the Grand Inquisitor. (That's all of the one's off the top of my head) Although the people Vader killed weren't white so there's that. 

For this episode the character was celebrating before he blew up, so not sure what to make of that, whether it was meant to be demeaning or not, but the others were sad by his death so it was at least acknowledged.

I think they're only casting more diverse for the Empire in the Disney era. Originally the Empire was very much a white male organisation, with the Rebellion being a diverse group. Which was something I loved about the OT.

Perhaps for me it's a case of external influences, the people I follow on YouTube would pick up on this so it's something that stands out. If one of the poc died instead would I have questioned it, and the answer is probably not. So you're probably right that it is a transitional period, but until it becomes the norm it's something that's hard to ignore.

44 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

the Empire in the Disney era. Originally the Empire was very much a white male organisation

iirc in Legends Palpatine was pretty xenophobic and only enlisted humans into the Empire

5 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

iirc in Legends Palpatine was pretty xenophobic and only enlisted humans into the Empire

I don't remember if this is a canon or Legends explanation but Palpatine himself was not personally xenophobic, he just found it a very effective tool of control so he fostered it

And yes that only extends to aliens, there's no inter-race racism between the humans in Star Wars as far as I'm aware

5 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

Be cool if Obi Wan stumbled upon the Tusken colony that Anakin wiped out in AotC and says something like "I shoulve saw it coming"

Yeah the cool thing is that the novel addresses the fall-out of an entire tribe just being completely wiped out, women and children all

5 hours ago, Holko said:

I'll say it again: these idiots wasted the Obi-Wan story on Boba.

In intent maybe, the execution of fleshing out the Tuskens in Boba was really baffling but that's because the entire show around it is baffling

8 hours ago, Holko said:

I'll say it again: these idiots wasted the Obi-Wan story on Boba.

It really would've made more sense for Benny given he knows their riding style habits and that Krayt dragons scare the shit out of them.  And it would seem natural that someone in tune with all living things, who once considered lower lifeforms to be "pathetic" would demonstrate some growth and learning.

Generally a good way of fandom to be is without fandom. Occasionally though some cute fanart or fanfic may show up (in some ways, some Star Trek fans, generally women, have laid a lot of the groundwork, but i'm sure these things existed way before). I notice a reoccuring problem in fandom is blindly believing something is important because a corporation's marketing says so. Because the thing is important. Even if it isn't. I thought this yesterday, about The Rings of Power, but i guess it applies to other things.

Yeah generally distributing the ideas of reactionary trolls is also what the reactionary trolls want and that one shouldn't do. So literally every malignant actor can win.

It's also a problem because sometimes, one may actually need to discuss why something is a problem.

1 minute ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

ABE0F052-D2CF-48D6-BE3A-8EA36BB18B48.jpeg

made funnier by how many closets were opened in the pandemic!

3 hours ago, Romão said:

So after all the time Leia and Obi-Wan have been spending together, shouldn't Luke be the one comforting Leia when Obi-Wan dies in the first Star Wars?

Leia, as a public servant who grew up in a proper society, has more emotional maturity to suppress her grief. She also does not have time to tell Luke her childhood story while they're escaping death. 

Luke is a whiny crybaby.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

But just as annoying to me is the equal and opposite reaction from the other direction: that just kinda liking a thing makes you a corporate shill or mindless content drone.  Both mindsets treat these things as way more important than they deserve.

There are many movies/games that I like that have this discourse (the ST, Last of Us 2).  It honestly takes a lot of the fun out of watching/discussing them

One such example from just yesterday - very innocuous news from one source that Disney Parks enlisted a focus group based on their Star Wars hotel/experience spaceship thing.  Extremely standard corporate action, especially with a newer concept like this.

One site took that article, added their own spin, and posted it as clickbait which caused a minor social media hubbub.

FAC619DF-1A51-49B1-B9D8-B650BA277042.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

Leia, as a public servant who grew up in a proper society, has more emotional maturity to suppress her grief. She also does not have time to tell Luke her childhood story while they're escaping death. 

Luke is a whiny crybaby.

Hold on, do you think suppressing your grief is a sign of emotional maturity?

8 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Hoping this means we are nearing the D+ series that will show Yoda’s adventures running through the hallways in Cloud City!

And the upcoming Lando series will explore his secret connection to Luke & Leia, juxtaposed against the tragic backstory of his estrangement from daughter Jannah.

I don't like TROS, but I much prefer the actual implied onscreen story (Lando's just thirsty for a way younger woman) to the one we know about from leaks (she's his daughter).

31 minutes ago, Stu said:

This is why we depend on JWFan as a throwback to the old internet when people yelled at each other for less socially divisive reasons

I don't see what's socially divisive about mediocre or bad corporate schlock that has nothing to say about anything (on purpose)