OBI-WAN KENOBI (Disney+ series)

Spoiler

Seeing and hearing (!) Anakin under Darth Vader was just awesome. The cameos were surprising, I didn't expect the Emperor at all and with Qui-Gon I didn't think he would be seen but only heard. I hope the show continues somehow, even if it's very unlikely.

He looked older, even under the prosthetics! I wanted him to say 'Gooooood!' at the end.

This finale was actually pretty good, a few emotional moments too. Obi-Wan telling Leia about her parents was a nice little moment I had hoped they would touch upon after the episode earlier in the season.

The score seemed more orchestral, possibly more of Ross's writing or perhaps it was Hoult? Who knows?

It felt like Ross handled the "dramatic" music this episode, while the RCP-esque action music clearly came from Holt. I assume Ross handled all the Williams quotes in the final 15 minutes.

Looking back, it feels like Ross' contributions only increased as the series went on, perhaps owing to having more time to rescore later episodes?

The inclusions on Holt's album will be very interesting... if the Ross cues were indeed rescores, did Holt originally compose the finale cue?

On 28/05/2022 at 8:56 AM, Holko said:

After ep2 I especially feel this will just be pointless filler that tells us nothing new about any of these characters, only  show them so we can go oh hey look it's this character I know this character oh hey look they met this character. All it will achieve is make the OT line up even less with the rest of the earlier timeline. Like Vader being very not Shaw, them having met, Leia after all these adventures addressing Kenobi like "General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father’s request to you in person"? It's obvious they've never met.

Called it. Jeez, what a colossal waste of the time and money of everyone involved this... thing ultimately is.

After having seen the whole show I think, these writers of the new Star Wars content seem to make no difference if they are writing for a comic, a TV show or a movie. But there should be a difference.

Would this have been a Star Wars comic, it would have been ok. But from episode 3.5 live action TV show I would have expected more.

This episode was much better than the others. The scenes between Leia and Obi-Wan were kind of emotional. The duel was original enough that I enjoyed it. I wish Natalie Portman had made a cameo! Loved seeing Ian McDiarmid and Liam Neeson. But this series was written in a way that it was kind of pointless, sadly. I wonder if it could've even been any different...

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

I think they did a good job of not creating any inconsistencies with what we already knew.

Really? 

What about:

- Vader and Obi Wan meeting several times.

- Leia knowing Obi-Wan personally.

- Obi-Wan being extraordinarily stupid all of a sudden (calling Leia by her name in front of stormtroopers, hiding her under a big coat like Austin Powers, giving a message that Luke exists to a known criminal idiot)

- Bail Organa being extraordinarily stupid all of a sudden (Asking Obi-Wan to abandon Luke to save Leia when he has a personal guard and access to bounty hunters, suspecting Obi-Wan was captured and so he sends him a nice voicemail telling his potential captures that Luke exists and giving them his address)

- Vader being able to force pull a space ship down to the ground but he doesn't bother doing it at all after that. E.g. stopping Leia's ship in Rogue One, stopping the Falcon every time etc.

Watching the original film, you get the impression Luke had never seen a lightsaber in his life, nor had any concept of "The Force." Well, here he's being chased by a manaical woman with a saber who lates chokes him with the Force...

But Star Wars was always like this! I know, I know two wrongs don't make a right. But still!

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Wasn't it implied in the first film that she had known him (but not well) a while back?

I believe she says "you served my father in the clone wars", not "remember that cool adernture we went on when I was 10."

Just now, Chen G. said:

Watching the original film, you get the impression Luke had never seen a lightsaber in his life, nor had any concept of "The Force." Well, here he's being chased by a manaical woman with a saber who lates chokes him with the Force...

But Star Wars was always like this! I know, I know two wrongs don't make a right. But still!

To be fair I guess, Luke didn't really see her lightsaber on. And he just thought he kinda fell off the rocks probably. 

1 minute ago, leeallen01 said:

Luke didn't really see her lightsaber on

When she walked into the room and he was fleeing?

I mean, yeah you can make it all work. Just like you can explain why Owen in the original has no memory of C3PO who, in Episode II, lived with him.

But you shouldn't have to explain things.

Obi-Wan Kenobi 1x05 Part V

Wow this was surely the best episode yet!

I loved the flashback to prequel era Obi-wan and Anakin training.  Although..... they trained with real live actual lightsabers?  Really?  Seems pointlessly dangerous - why wouldn't they train with sticks or something?  Anyways, it was really clever how the flow of their short spar paralleled with the action of the episode throughout - really well done!

I sort of liked the little double switcharoo when after Vader praises Reva for the tracker working, he tells Reva to kneel, and she's all nervous, and then he makes her the new Grand Inquisitor as a reward.  I really like the whole conversation Reva has with Obi-wan once the rebels are trapped behind a blast door with the Empire of the other side.  It was a nicely done reveal that she was a survivor of the Youngling attack seen in the first episode, though of course everyone here figured that out instantly.  I wonder what my reaction would have been had I not read that speculation.  Oh well.

I was a bit confused about her plan: I get that she wants revenge, and the revenge she wants is to kill Vader, and to do so she needs to be alone with him.  But wasn't she just alone with him a couple episodes ago when she flew to his planet and he instructed her to find Kenobi?  Why not attack him then?

When she finally does attack him in this episode, it was laughable.  She turns her saber on way too early, lifts it up to swing at him - anybody could have seen that coming , let alone one of the most powerful Jedi ever.  Sheesh.  At least once they started dueling, it was a really cool duel! I loved the reveal that she had 2 blades, and also the crazy spinning action it had.  The best part was when he cuts it in half, is holding both, then throws one to her to let her keep fighting.  He was so clearly going to win the whole time.  It was still pretty cool though!  Of course, it was silly at the end that they leave her lying on the ground instead of finishing her off.  Of course she's not dead!

I really liked the Tala character over the course of her three episodes, and it was sad to see her go, but at least she got the sacrificial war hero's death.  It would have been a nice subversion if she ended up Obi-Wan's wife on Tatooine instead but they don't like giving Jedi romantic partners in these stories

I loved the badass Vader moment near the end when he pulls the ship down from the sky, and then rips off the entire side!  That was cool stuff!  I kind of laughed when the real ship flew away behind it right after (did a pilot or 2 die in the first ship?)

The message from Bail to Obi-wan was redonkulous, like he's really mention Luke or Tatooine in a message like that!  LOL!  Well, I guess we know where Reva's going next week...

So the last episode, probably the best though that's not saying much. As @Chen G. said, at last there is some pathos here that hits the mark. Between Anakin and Obi-wan, between Reva and Obi-wan, and especially that last scene between Obi-wan and Leia with the score playing Leia's Theme. That was quite moving.

The final Vader-Obi-wan duel was nice, though Obi-wan was suddenly laughably overpowered. 

I like that they ended with Obi-wan going forward to some unknown adventure rather than burying himself in the sand to wait for A New Hope.

Reva still alive - stupid

Hyperspace cue - awesome

Big Moon over planet landscape - cool 70s Sci Fi look - awesome

Lightsaber Duel part 1 - Pretty good - should've been unscored, like the Death Star duel

Lightsaber Duel part 2 - Rocks pummeling Vader, and Benny bashing Vader's suit up -Freakin' awesome

Anakin's voice - awesome

Owen and Beru Strike Back - awesome.  Kinda silly, but still awesome.

Reva chasing Luke - Meh (I don't think he actually saw her lightsaber, or even her for that matter)

Emperor - Awesome as always - a lot of rhyming stanzas with dialogue "I wonder if your thoughts are clear"

Benny saying Goodbye to Leia - awesome, awesome, awesome.  I'm not crying, you're crying.

Williams' classic themes - AWESOME

Benny saying "Hello There" to Luke - awesome

Qui-Gon - Awesome.  I love that he was a bit sassy.  "Took you long enough!" :lol:

Final thoughts...

Awesome episode, redundant and unnecessary series.  I'm not sure it was worth it, but this Episode had what the others were missing.

No one said "I have a bad feeling about this" the entire show, and I think that's sorta crummy.

Little Leia is my favorite.  The dialogue of Benny telling her the aspects she got from Anni and Padme was beautiful.

They should spend more money and make it less cheap looking, more cinematic, and make a Clone Wars movie with Ewan, Hayden, Samuel L Jackson and Rosario Dawson.

2 hours ago, eitam said:

that last scene between Obi-wan and Leia with the score playing Leia's Theme. That was quite moving.

This, Williams's main theme, Vader's voice algorithm, and Liam Neeson's surprisingly professional cameo are the only things in this series that felt good to me.

Okay, maybe also a few moments in McGregor's fight choreography. Some of those moves were damn smooth.

Everything else was a voice of a million Plinketts crying out in terror.

9 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Are we allowed to talk about spoilers that never came true now that the limited series that won't be a limited series for long is over? 

Please do! I’m curious at the discrepancies

I'll put it in tags for now in case other people aren't interested in hearing, but...

Spoiler

The original spoiler leak I read before the series started was all the stuff we saw with Reva on Tattooine, only there was a followup scene where she went back to Vader and to hide her failure in killing Luke, she lied and said she killed Obi-Wan. Vader just got his ass whooped by Obi-Wan so he knew it was BS and kills her for lying to him.

Then a couple weeks ago when all this discussion about a season 2 started was that they changed the ending to cut out that part so there's room to bring her back for more stories. 

Do you think Dave Filoni ever trapped anyone on the shoulder and said "Hey, we already did that scene with Ahsoka and Vader"? 

I want to see the crossover scene with Lucy Pevensie where she says to Obi-Wan "Yeah, he pulled that 'You weren't ready to see me yet' crap on me too." 

Overall it was good. I'm willing to forgive the continuity for the scenes I wanted to see. It's not like 1-6 make a lick of sense continuity-wise. 

And this was a better final duel than in Revenge of the Sith. 

There were half a dozen cool moments and ideas, almost entirely contained in this final episode, that retroactively underscore how lackluster the rest of the show has been.  That spoiler leak is fascinating, but I find it extremely difficult to believe Reva wasn't being set up for a redemption arc from day one, what with her story being threaded into sympathetic flashbacks from the opening moments, and her (ridiculous) motivation building throughout the series to her (equally ridiculous) turn in the final moments.  I think we're headed for a Reva+ announcement sometime in the next six months.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Of course, it was silly at the end that they leave her lying on the ground instead of finishing her off.  Of course she's not dead!

That is something that I asked myself permanently during the series. Why didn't Vader finish Obi-Wan the first time in the fire? Why let him go? A minute ago he was able to pull Obi-Wan through the fire and even extinguish it with a snap of his finger.

Why did Vader just bury Kenobi under rocks in the last part without killing him? Why didn't Obi-Wan finish Vader when he could?

There were few.cosequent moments like when Reva stabbed the grand inquisitor and even that didn't kill him. 

Again the only guys actually dying are these poor stormtroopers. And Tala. 

But you never know. If Tala were a villain, she might have survived even that explosion. Since blaster shots and people getting stabbed by lightsabers doesn't kill anymore it gets more and more difficult to take people out of the game in Star Wars.

I had discussions with my son where he explained to me how unlikely it is that Mace Windu died when he just got his hand cut of, got hurt by force flashes and fell out of a window in the 60th floor of a building because so many characters in Star Wars survived much worse.

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Why didn't Vader finish Obi-Wan the first time in the fire?

Why let him go?

Why did Vader just bury Kenobi under rocks in the last part without killing him?

Why didn't Obi-Wan finish Vader when he could?

Kinda makes this whole series a cool but very pointless money grab doesn't it?

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Since blaster shots and people getting stabbed by lightsabers doesn't kill anymore it gets more and more difficult to take people out of the game in Star Wars.

Star Wars is the new Marvel.

Also, I am I the only one that could not see what was going on in a bunch of the darker lit scenes? I could barely make out that Reva was chasing Luke. I've tried different TVs and it's the same. On my phone it's fine but who wants to watch on a tiny screen?

6 hours ago, rough cut said:

Now that the show is over, I feel I am leaving Star Wars further and further behind.

Too many things that don’t make sense - both in the show itself but also with continuity.

And too much shaky cam!

Now is the time to jump ship and check out the old continuity if you haven’t already 

4 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

It didn't make sense for Obi-Wan to leave Anakin alive in Revenge of the Sith!

That's true. Even If he thought, that Anakin would die anyway, to leave him there like that in pain, burning and suffering was rather cruel.

Well, I finished reading the non-existent novelization.  No epilogue or anything like that, but it DOES explain how Reva survived!  

Here is the final excerpt from the non-existent novelization:

The dilapidated industrial area of Coruscant called CoCo Town had somehow fallen deeper into disrepair.  The low-income street denizens paid the small shuttle little mind, as Reva had settled it onto a small landing platform.  So far, so good -  the Slicer she hired provided her with a legitimate clearance code (older, but it checked out) and a registration and transponder which allowed her to slip through the Imperial checkpoints of the Capital system.  Unbuckling from her console induced a fresh stab or sharp pain, strong enough for her to shriek, “Bantha Balls!”  Only partially cauterized, the hole below her thorax had now begun to rot with infection.  Acutely aware of her wound’s festering stink, she snarled, “Revenge, my ass.  I need some fucking medicine.  The holoprojector blinked silently, reminding her of Organa’s leaked coordinates and codespeak, easily translated by the Jedi Temple analysis droid she’d hotwired.  I’ll deal with you later, you boujee bastard,” she thought aloud to Organa’s pleading holo-visage.

As Reva descended the gang plank, she was met with a musty smelling rain, and she began sweating like a gumpta on Mustafar.   Fuck this noise”, she spat, her belly now afire with infection.  Grand Inquisitor was full of poodoo.  It was more than just a bullshit lust for revenge that resurrected him from certain death; he looked as fresh as a Naboo daisy.  If her hunch was correct, the secret to her rejuvenation lay in the broken-down establishment on the street before her.  

The sign made of of phosphorescent tibana gas Aurubesh letters were partially burned out, now spelling out “D_x’s D_ner”.  A drunken dug sat outside the door, drinking from a bottle with its left foot.  E Chuta!” it swore at her instinctively, as she crossed the threshold to the darkened ramshackle eatery.

Once inside, her memory flashed to her youth, the restaurant alive with patrons, the tunebox filling the air with the “Corellian Graffiti” compilation, with DJ Shistavanen Jack doing his thing between the Jizz-Wailers.  She saw herself as a youngling, seated at a booth with her classmates, slurping a blue frothy Moofshake through a straw.

Reva shook away the thoughts of another lifetime, and made her way towards the back.  She cupped one hand to hide the side of her face when she spotted Fifth Brother seated at a lone booth.  His bald head exposed, Fifth Brother did not notice Reva slink by as he slurped gruel from his overturned bowl-like helmet.   You want a cup of Jawa juice????  A broken WA-7 waitress droid lay on its side, its singular wheel spinning, then stopping at random intervals.  The random outburst from the droid’s janky vocoder helped cover her identity as she slipped past the counter, into the filthy kitchen where an Aqualish chef was butchering all sorts of foul smelling offal.  He paid her no mind as Reva entered a back vestibule.

The room was a darkly lit makeshift laboratory.  Bottles and test tubes of glowing liquids provided enough illumination for Reva to see a hulking male Besalisk approach, his four arms sagging from age, but ready to strike.  You look like you crawled out of the mines of Subterrel, girly” he spoke in a grizzly tone.  Reva tossed him a handful of credits and barked, “Let’s get it on”.  She began to unwrap the sash she’d wound tightly round her midsection.  As the cloth peeled away, a small internal organ the size of a piece of fruit fell to the ground with a wet and sickening thud.  She had enough command of the force to levitate it back into the hole.  Embarrassed, Reva’s eyes met those of her host.   If Master Obi-Wan saw me, he’d be very grumpy,” she quipped to the hulking alien.  Any friend of Kenobi’s is a friend of mine,” grinned the giant, and he beckoned her to the center of the room.

A faint light from above illuminated a standard Imperial interrogation rack, to which a pitiful being had been strapped.  No medical droids?” Reva inquired.  Droids…” he answered with sarcastic contempt.  I respect the difference between knowledge and wisdom.  Come closer, and we’ll get you what your large pocketbook paid for.”

Reva gasped with revulsion as she surveyed the creature strapped to the rack, several electrodes, probes, tubes, and wires jabbed into every available area of pasty, wrinkled white flesh.  Her eyes followed some of the clear tubing to see colored liquids being drawn into various distilleries, with flasks at their endpoints to catch the slowly dripping elixirs.  This poor creature was being drained of some sort of life force!  Good for what ails ya!” said the Besalisk.

The poor captive alien moaned, a throaty, guttural sound.  It was then that Reva recognized the being.  He was a member of the Imperial Senate!  She had seen him with others of his species in and out of their Senate pod. Some of its kind had been rumored to visit another galaxy far, far away.  Its race was known for a peculiar interest in botany.  Ironic, since with every drip of life force draining from the being, a petal from an Ithorian Daylilly in the room dropped to the floor in pathetic synchronization.  

The four armed hulk grabbed the flask of extracted liquid, loaded it into a syringe, and handed it to Reva.  He grinned, “Time to feed the Sarlacc, kiddo!  Reva took the needle with it’s miracle healing potion, and jabbed it into her lower abdomen.  As she did, the creature on the rack moaned with empathy, “Ouuuuuccchhhhh….  Its neck began to telescope, stretching a half meter, and the center of its squat torso began to glow red, a heart like organ inside beating erratically.  It reached instinctively for her with a single long glowing index finger.  Hoooomme…” it pleaded.

The wound began to close, and Reva felt her vitality returning immediately.  She made eye contact with the captive alien Senator.

Thank you, Botanicus.  Thank you very, very much!  Reva spun around to leave, with refreshed purpose, grinning like a Kowakian Monkey-Lizard.  Dexter Jettster simply smiled, counting his credits.

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

That's true. Even If he thought, that Anakin would die anyway, to leave him there like that in pain, burning and suffering was rather cruel.

That's what my kids said WHEN THEY WERE THREE AND FOUR YEARS OLD! 

Obi-Wan whines about how hurt he is while Anakin burns. If a Jedi can't make a choice in that situation you start to think that Last Jedi Luke has a point. 

27 minutes ago, Brónach said:

I don't understand why this pile of poop is being called woke on this thread

Is it? The bar for woke is unworkably low if this is true. 

On 22/6/2022 at 7:28 AM, crumbs said:

It felt like Ross handled the "dramatic" music this episode, while the RCP-esque action music clearly came from Holt. I assume Ross handled all the Williams quotes in the final 15 minutes.

Looking back, it feels like Ross' contributions only increased as the series went on, perhaps owing to having more time to rescore later episodes?

The inclusions on Holt's album will be very interesting... if the Ross cues were indeed rescores, did Holt originally compose the finale cue?

Or they told Ross, “Start from the end and work backwards.” I wouldn’t be surprised if he tackled a lot of the final episode first to try and help end the series on a good note, and then went back and handled other important moments he had time to work on, in earlier episodes.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

That's what my kids said WHEN THEY WERE THREE AND FOUR YEARS OLD! 

Wow!! You showed that massacre to three and four year old children???

That is hard. I would never have done that.

20 hours ago, eitam said:

I like that they ended with Obi-wan going forward to some unknown adventure rather than burying himself in the sand to wait for A New Hope.

Pretty sure he was going to purchase his clifftop property....

21 hours ago, Jay said:

Obi-Wan Kenobi 1x05 Part V

Wow this was surely the best episode yet!

I loved the flashback to prequel era Obi-wan and Anakin training.  Although..... they trained with real live actual lightsabers?  Really?  Seems pointlessly dangerous - why wouldn't they train with sticks or something? 

I loved the badass Vader moment near the end when he pulls the ship down from the sky, and then rips off the entire side!  That was cool stuff!  I kind of laughed when the real ship flew away behind it right after (did a pilot or 2 die in the first ship?)

1 I don't know if its in the new canon, but Legends had low power sabers/settings for training.

2 autopilot?